A few pics of my latest car...

Carmine

...enjoys spaghetti.
I took a few shots of the '79 Cordoba I just finished driving from LA to PHX to DET. E-58 360 4BBL, fluid coolers, trailer tow pkg & all power goodies (except power seat, N/A with dual exhaust). Cost me a fat $2500 (Didn't have the heart to offer less!)

0079FRT.jpg

I only did the mileage once (16.7) @ 75 MPH through New Mexico. I was too depressed to do it after that. It's not exactly in razor-sharp tune, and those dual cats don't help much. After I undo those, and the Lean-Burn, I expect to make some nice HP & Mileage gains.

If you look closely at the top of the rear tire, you can still see the deer fur lodged between the rim and tire. :puke:

0079Rear.jpg

Best seat in the house...

0079INT.jpg

1970s engine management!

0079eng.jpg

BTW, this car didn't burn a drop of oil on the trip! From Phoenix to Detroit, it was only shut off when either it, or myself needed to eat. :thumb: And if a certain lil' Sony TV gets saved, it'll be because I was able to plop it in the trunk.

http://audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?p=621522#post621522

Good goin', Carmine, I don't remember those guys bein' THAT nice when they were new !! You got yrself a REAL honey, there...-Sandy G.

My brother in law had a Cordoba and it was the first car I learned to drive on. I loved the way it drove and it was confortable as my own lazy boy.
Once you get her up and running to the way you want and give her some good polishing she will turn a few heads I'm sure.
Brings back the good ole days I tell you.
Thanks for the pics and bringing back my first driving memories.

That's nice, it almost looks like new, those seats look hardly sat in. It must have very few miles on it? It has real dual exhaust, all the way from the engine to the tailpipes with 2 seperate catalytic converters? I didn't know they still had that in the late 70s, I've looked under some cars from that era that appeared to have dual exhuast, then saw that there was only one cat converter, after which the pipe split into two.

Looks real nice!
One thing you might want to check is the rear leaf spring mounts. I had a '79 Dodge Magnum, and those puppies rusted out and the rear shackles wound up in the trunk. I believe it actually is a quite common issue, as other folks I talked too had heard about it too.

Adam said:
That's nice, it almost looks like new, those seats look hardly sat in. It must have very few miles on it? It has real dual exhaust, all the way from the engine to the tailpipes with 2 seperate catalytic converters? I didn't know they still had that in the late 70s, I've looked under some cars from that era that appeared to have dual exhuast, then saw that there was only one cat converter, after which the pipe split into two.

The car has a few nicks/scratches, but has always been well cared for. The paint is all original. 72,000 miles on the car after my trip.

The E-58 360 was the last gasp of the musclecar era. It shares a lot of parts with the better-known 340, but with a longer stroke. It was available to the general public until 1980, and in police cruisers only until 1981. In addition to the better camshaft used in this engine, you also got upgraded valve springs, double-roller timing chain, revised computer timing specs, "nitrated" cam lobes & lifters, extra trans & power steering coolers, high upshift auto trans, and true dual exhaust You also couldn't get a power seat with this engine package because the floorpan stampings were different to allow the dual cats. The same package was used in the lil' Red Express truck without the catalytic convertors (because it was a truck). In that era, CHrysler pretty much built all of the police cars in North America, but was losing money hand-over-fist. One of the few things they could do was offer all that stuff in packages to the few performace car buyers that existed. Thus a lot of cool, if unpopular, hardware went out the door, i.e. the 300, Magnum GT, St. Regis "touring", (Police car with nice interior) Lil' Red Express truck, Aspen/Volare "supercoupes" and kit-cars. This bought some time until the K-cars came in '81.

At this point, the car could use a bit of tuning... (It had the OE spark plugs/wires when I bought it, dated 8-78) and hesitates from a stop. However, it will bark the tires into second gear and I easily buried the wimpy 85 MPH speedo during the trip.

Mechanically, it's the same car as this 1979 Chrysler 300...

79300sm3.jpg

...which I also own, but with more "luxury" stuff. It must have been somebody's special order, because most of them just had 318s.

More than you wanted to know, I'm sure... :D

No rust issues Andyman... This was a Los Angeles car!

Last edited:
Nice clean find. I have always had great respect for Mopar. The enternet is full of complaints on Mopar not holding up,but we have a 97 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 with the 360 engine and automatic trans that has been overworked pulling a six horse trailer. It now has 265,000 miles on it and it still runs as good as ever,and the best part is that so far it has cost us no more than a simple water pump.Thats so much more than I can say for my 1 ton Chevy dually. :thmbsp:

Last edited:
Oh man the memories.
I had a '77 Cordoba with the lean burn 4 barrel 400 CID. Other than round instead of square sealed beams , the styling was the same. Same flight deck of a hood. A grown man can stand between the bumper and radiator. Mine did not have the leather though, it had the houndstooth check cloth, straight off of Herbert R. Tarlek's sport coat. It was a smooth stylin' ride. When I see one for sale - like the red one that sat at the coney at 10 Mile and Mound a while back - I have to force myself to think of reasons to let it go. Wish I knew you you dug those or I'd have tipped you to it.

The leaf shackles are usually the first thing I tell myself about too.

I've seen other Cordobi with their ass on the lawn and their leaves pushed up in the trunk, but ain't just this body line that has the leaf shackle issues. My old 73 Satellite had the same thing happen.

And that 360 - I wonder if that could be the same model in the 80 Aspen I had? It was a former Ohio Turnpike patrol car. All I know is it would GO.

Andyman said:
Looks real nice!
One thing you might want to check is the rear leaf spring mounts. I had a '79 Dodge Magnum, and those puppies rusted out and the rear shackles wound up in the trunk. I believe it actually is a quite common issue, as other folks I talked too had heard about it too.

Yeah, but we live in "The Rust Belt!"
Nice score, Carmine.

Back
Top Bottom