A Garage Sytem...

Discussion in 'Listening Spaces' started by Switchblade, Oct 9, 2016.

1. Switchblade

Switchblade Super Member

First, like a dork I spelled "system" in the title wrong :crazy:and can't seem to correct it so if anybody knows how please let me know.
    I need a little advice or just opinions. I am trying to scrape up a decent stereo system for my garage with just a few things. If anyone has any ideas about this, I would like to hear them. I have a set of Bose 301's, a Harmon Karden CD player and either my Vector Research VR-3000 at 25watts or my Kenwood KA-4006 integrated amp at 35 watts. The Vector sounds great in my basement but I wonder if it's a little too small for a large garage (35' x 30')?

Last edited: Oct 9, 2016
    70'sAudio likes this.
  2. 70'sAudio

70'sAudio Where it All Started for Me Subscriber

To mis-spell a Word No Big Deal.........But NO PICTURES Unforgivable

:needpics:

,Mike.

Outta Ammo likes this.
  3. avionic

avionic " Black Knights" Subscriber

Cost you $25. Subscribe to AK.

4. Switchblade

Switchblade Super Member

Well, that was informative.

5. ooba tooba

ooba tooba Super Member

Well why don't you hook up what you have and see how it sounds in there first!

faber12 likes this.
  6. whoaru99

whoaru99 Epic Member

The difference between 35 watts and 25 watts is only -1.5dB. Not like it's going to be any sort of night and day difference in max volume. If you didn't already know about the difference you might not even be able to tell.

Whether either amp and the speakers are enough largely depends on your expectations/performance requirements.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2016
  7. djnagle

djnagle Lunatic Member

Don't judge yourself too harshly. Spelling is meant to be fluid. Everyone knew you meant 'system' so you effectively communicated your thinking. Words are meant to communicate ideas not to be judged by others.

8. Old Guy8

Old Guy8 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Do you know the efficiency (SPL) rating of your speakers? Besides the receivers power, will influence how loud it can play. Try it and find out. Door open or closed?

9. Switchblade

Switchblade Super Member

That was a lot of ifs. Thanks for the replies. I tried hooking it up and while it did sound fairly decent, there wasn't a lot of punch to it. I may just try a one hundred watt Kenwood basic amp and a tuner, along with a sub. I have the equipment now but it is just too darn cold in Chicago to set it up. As soon as the temp gets a steady 60 degrees or higher I will be out there again! I have an Onkyo preamp to do the distribution honors.
    Thanks for the kind words on the spelling errors also. To think I got "A"s in spelling in high school! Ha!

10. daveg3588

daveg3588 Toy addict Subscriber

Well my garage receiver is a Rotel rx 102, 10 watts with some Infinity reference 2000, 2 way 6" , damn good washing the car in Buffalo!

11. kaplang

kaplang Works for me ! Subscriber

Depends on how loud you like to play music.

12. Hobie1dog

Hobie1dog Super Member

Speakers are the #1 thing that determines your sound quality and volume