A good cheap DAC?

Roypercy

Hey all:

Just wondering, I was reading a couple of old posts about the Entech Number Cruncher which had the rep a few years ago of being a great, cheap external DAC. Of course it's been discontinued, so I'm wondering if there's anything else out there these days that has taken its place as a good (under $100) inexpensive DAC. I'm interested in trying one out in my system, but discretionary funds are limited these days. ANy thoughts?

Hello Roypercy,

I'd keep looking around as the Number Cruncher 230.2 gets sold often at below your budget.

If you can squeeze it, the Musical Fidelity V-DAC can be had new for under 3 bills.

• Upsampling: 24 Bit, 192 kHz
  • Total harmonic distortion: 0.004%, 20Hz-20kHz
  • Frequency response: +0, -0.1 dB, 20Hz-20kHz
  • Crosstalk: -104 dB 20 Hz-20 kHz
  • Signal / noise ratio: -116 dB, “A”-weighted
  • Total Jitter: 170 ps, -89 dB
  • Digital inputs: 1 RCA (coaxial), 1 TOSLINK (optical), 1 USB (type B)
  • Line level outputs: 1 pair RCA
Regards,
TB

Hello fau5tu5,

This should help you out on connection options as quoted from the Product Manual:

Digital optical or coaxial inputs
Using good quality RCA leads (not supplied), connect the digital coaxial or optical output from a CD player or other digital audio source to the V-DAC SPDIF or COAXIAL sockets.
Set the input select switch to “coaxial” if using either of these inputs.

USB input
A good quality USB A to B cable is required to connect the unit to the computer.
Plug the B (square) end into the socket in the back of the V-DAC
Plug the A (rectangle) end into a free USB socket on your computer. Set the input select switch to “USB”.
Once the unit is plugged in and powered, the computer should detect the new hardware and install a generic driver automatically (No setup or driver disk required). The V-DAC is then ready to play V-DAC, CD or any other form of music file recognised by the computer.

Outputs
Connect the V-DAC left and right outputs to the line level inputs of the amplifier system. It is advisable to have the amplifier turned off at this point.

Regards,
TB

The new Beresford TC-7520 is making a lot of new friends. I got one two weeks ago in order to see how it compares to my TC-7510 MK6. The TC-7520 must be the bargain of the year so far. The headamp alone can match my Graham Slee Solo. The DAC is the quietest I have ever owned. The USB worked right away on my VISTA and MAC OSX. I can hear detail that I thought was only on the vinyl cuts. And the preamp section sounds even better than any of my analog only preamps. My AKG K701 and my HD650 sound absolutely gorgeous with this DAC. I am torn between leaving it connected to my PC, or to my audio system.
I got mine on a members discount from another forum. It worked out at U$220. Maybe if there is enough interest we can canvas Beresford for an AK members discount as well:D. Then I can get another one maybe.

Back
Top Bottom