A good ebay response.

piece-it pete

What, me worry?
Since I :cry: 'ed & :rant: 'ed about my last response asking if the lp seller used goldmine as a rating guide (he said: if you think you'll have a problem with my ratings don't bid), here's a GOOD one:

Me: Hello, do you use goldmine as a rating standard? Thanks, Pete

Him: Yes. This LP looks very close to new, solidly m-, rare for this title!

:banana:

THAT'S a good answer, says yes, and - tells me what I want to hear? Wait a minute :scratch2: .

I bought off him, we'll see. But I didn't get the infuriating brushoff. And I'm a-waiting my lp.

Pete

If it turns out to be as good as he claims, you know he most likely should be good for further albums as well.

One seems to get more with honey than with vinegar...

Ive got a few things on Ebay right now,and its hard to give a good response when you get questions like "Your shipping fees suck!Where are you shipping to,Japan?"
Or,"your buy it now just disappeared!Please get it back!"
Jimmy

2DualsNotEnough said:
Ive got a few things on Ebay right now,and its hard to give a good response when you get questions like "Your shipping fees suck!Where are you shipping to,Japan?"
Or,"your buy it now just disappeared!Please get it back!"
Jimmy

Rotten questions from customers are as just as bad.

For pete's sake, if a potential bidder doesn't agree with the shipping charges, then there's a simple solution here- don't bid! What's the purpose of writing a hostile email to the seller? And if you're a potential bidder interested in the item and are concerned about not landing said item, then hit the "Buy it Now" button! You have to know this basic of eBay by now. Kee-ripes!

In the case of our fellow AKer here though, politely asking the seller a legit question like what rating system they are using to rate the records deserves a respectful and informative, and non-hostile response.

I didnt mean any disresct to Pete and his legitimate questions about record condition.I was just looking at it from a sellers standpoint,where after a while you get a little punchy sometimes about questions that could become a derogatory dialouge in a sellers eyes.Its a shame Pete got the brunt of it.
Jimmy

There are a few things in life where you bite your tongue and prey for the best.
1)- Waitress or food handlers. . . Anyone who brings me food gets the royal treatment regardless how I feel. . . I have family in that business and have personally witnessed the aftermath of screwing with the cook or waitress. . .

2)- eBay buyers and sellers. . . You treat your seller with kid gloves hoping for great packing and you treat your buyer likewise because he has placed his trust (money) in your hands. Besides as big as eBay is it can seem pretty small at times.

3)- The cop that just pulled you over for speeding. . . nuff said. . .

4)- Your Mother-in-law. . .

5)- Your spouse. . .

6)- Your Boss. . .Plus your subordinates. . .

7)- And so on. . .

I was going to rant about eBay but what's the point? Can't change 'em, the place is a den of liers, cheats, scammers, and grifters. Whoops!!

SoCal Sam said:
I was going to rant about eBay but what's the point? Can't change 'em, the place is a den of liers, cheats, scammers, and grifters. Whoops!!

Thats the fun part. . . :smoke: You can not (should not) take any item on eBay too seriously if not from a known and trusted seller. . .

I have bought over a 100 lp's off ebay and dozens of other things.Have not been dissapointed once!!I think my success is due to a few rules I use 1) Believe only 1/2 of what a seller says and bid accordingly. 2) Always ask about shipping and if the response is not what you want,do not bid. 3) If you get a bad gut reaction to an ad,do not bid. 4) Remember,no matter what it is,how bad you want it,another will come along,do not get too emotional.
I always take a sellers grading with a grain of salt,if he lists it as mint +,it probably is vg+,remember he wants the most money for his item,if he said it was a p.o.s who would buy it!!!!
These rules work for me,or,I am a lucky guy!!

Regards
Mike

PS- You will find on ebay,you get what you pay for!!! If you find a very rare normally selling $200 album selling for $10,there is usually a reason!There are very,very few bargains there on known stuff,way to much traffic!!!!

Last edited:
newoldguy said:
I have bought over a 100 lp's off ebay and dozens of other things.Have not been dissapointed once!!I think my success is due to a few rules I use 1) Believe only 1/2 of what a seller says and bid accordingly. 2) Always ask about shipping and if the response is not what you want,do not bid. 3) If you get a bad gut reaction to an ad,do not bid. 4) Remember,no matter what it is,how bad you want it,another will come along,do not get too emotional.
I always take a sellers grading with a grain of salt,if he lists it as mint +,it probably is vg+,remember he wants the most money for his item,if he said it was a p.o.s who would buy it!!!!
These rules work for me,or,I am a lucky guy!!

Regards
Mike

PS- You will find on ebay,you get what you pay for!!! If you find a very rare normally selling $200 album selling for $10,there is usually a reason!There are very,very few bargains there on known stuff,way to much traffic!!!!

Now your talking. . .If everyone thought this way it would be much less carping and more happy campers. . .

gyusher said:
... Besides as big as eBay is it can seem pretty small at times. ...

No kidding, great statement. For all the BS I hear about every day that goes on with eBay (and the bit I've experienced) I have had many outstanding transactions there as a buyer and seller, you never know but when you're gonna bumb into a decent guy.

There's a lot of good advice in this thread from both sides.

It's nice to be able to come here and vent, my SO sure doesn't want to hear it, heck half the time I'd rather she didn't even know!

What gets me about the short rude answers is, I've been around customer service from all angles for years now (inside, outside, expediting, production, purchasing), and it's completely unneccessary! How do these guys keep making money??

One of my old bosses used to say: "It's sooooo easy". I'm sure many questions are asked repeatedly. So perhaps they should take a few minutes and write up their responses beforehand, then just cut and paste as needed, heck program them into their hotkeys. Speeds things up, and keeps them from sounding rude, even when they're just busy (and possibly a bit miffed over getting jackass questions and/or comments all day). Just a thought.

Or maybe state their rating policy CLEARLY, not "I can't play them all, but it looks OK", Or saying "M-" without saying if they use other standards or their own made-up one. Particularly if they sell a lot of lps.

I don't envy those guys, I tried selling lps on the bay and man, hard work, little money imho, and there's no pleasing some people.

BTW I paid for this lp on wednesday with a note asking for a heads-up when it shipped. So far, no note, but good fb left for me. Jeez these buyers are picky! ;)

Pete

Epilogue: Stardate 3127.

Received lp. Vinyl is as mint as possible - I doubt it's ever been played. As I've been looking for this lp that alone rates a :banana: !

The cover is NOT M-. Prolly a solid vg+.

Taken all together, with the fact that I could easily get at least what I paid at the local record exchange, I'm a happy camper. Come on, 5 o'clock!

Pete

I have had mixed success buying albums on eBait.
I bought a small collection of 15 or so, and the albums ended up not in sleeves, 2 to a jacket, empty jacket. I went back to the listing and that is exactly as the photo showed. Duh. What was I thinking? Probably that I was getting a mint copy of Houses of the Holy, not just the unmentioned cover seen in the photo. Shame on my.
To make it up to myself I bought a real nice looking copy of Abbey Road for $1.75 plus $6 shipping. This one is for playing on the PL-530 when I finish the veneer job and install the Shure M97XE.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4892554503&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWN:IT&rd=1

Back
Top Bottom