A Gracious thank you to Mike Williams of Radio X

warnerwhf

Mike did a super job on my Kenwood Kt 7500. It sounded good before but now it sounds amazing. For those of you not aware you can't just send your vintage tuner to any tech as they neither have the equipment or knowledge to do alignments and other work on your vintage tuner. If you're looking for a way to either freshen up your tuner or to mod it to make it even better Mike Williams at Radio X is very reasonable and does excellent work. I believe he works on all vintage equipment btw. He's also one of our sponsors here so we should support him anyway.

Thanks Warner... got enough tuner work so I'm pretty selective on other stuff. Glad your happy with the 7500..

X

I guess I should take this opportunity to comment on my Mitsubishi DA-F20 that Mike did an extreme tune on. This consisted of a new F-type connection, Blackgates in the audio path, power supply recap, a new 2 filter board and an alignment. As I have stated here before, the Mitsubishi outclassed my other tuners Kenwood L-07t, Yamaha T-85, Kenwood KT-7500, Pioneer TX-7500 from the day I got it. The sound quality was excellent though sensitivity was not as good as some of the others. I had beautiful music but the background was never as silent as that put out by the Yamaha. Well I got the tuner back and went through a long burn-in process for the Blackgates and I can now say that 99% of the background hiss, crackle, etc. is GONE. The sound on live shows, which I get several a week of here in NYC are stunning. I listened to a small string quartert performing live from the Met and I kept noticing what appeared to be wood creaking. After I listened a bit, I discovered that the creaking coincided with the Bass players playing. I think I was actually hearing enough detail to hear the floor boards creak under a swaying bass. Very impressive. I also have to mention that I am forced to use an indoor antenna as I live in an apartment so the fact that this modified tuner can perform at this level with poor conditions speaks to the great work Mitsubishi and Mike have done making this an amazing tuner.

Thanks Mike,

Jeff

Last edited:
Kt-7500

W.,

I also have a KT-500 that has upgraded power supply caps, recapped audio path, opamp replaced, and fixed-out path shortened (as described on the Tuner-Info-Center web pages). I do not have the 'Ray passive EQ mod', which involves some rearrangments around the ompamp as described here.

Can anyone comment on what this intended to achieve, and perhaps any result they have heard?

Thanks. -sf

attachment.php

Attachments

• RayModTop-2.jpg
    RayModTop-2.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 171
Thanks Jeff...

SF, that is basically redoing the de-emphisis circuit. Makes it closer actually being 75u seconds. Depending on how "fine" your ears are you may or may not hear a difference.

X

Punker X said:
SF, that is basically redoing the de-emphisis circuit. Makes it closer actually being 75u seconds. Depending on how "fine" your ears are you may or may not hear a difference.X
X., Thanks for the insight. I have a Canadian Pioneer SX-780 that has two demphasis settings (75 and another), and the alternate European mode is a huge increase in brightness. I'm not sure I could hear this mod, but it would be entertaining to try. Would Ray's EQ mod provide more or less demphasis? :) -sf

Mike

He did a stellar job on a humble sherwood tube tuner of mine. His great work is in direct opposite to the crappy fm that is nyc.

Youd think in the media capital of the world there would at least me something decent to listen to.

As another NYC resident I spend alot of time on the college stations at the bottom of the dial. 89.9 Columbia Univ., 90.7 Fordham, etc. The Newark jazz station at 88.3 is also pretty good with great sound quality. I also listen to 93.9 and 96.3 for classical and in the case of 93.9 some easy listening kind of stuff. All of these stations sound excellent and have a bit of variety, especially 90.7. Otherwise I am listening to 104.3 mostly for the music but the sound is surprisingly good. Certainly not to the college station levels but very much worth listening to.

Back
Top Bottom