A heads up for forthcoming 50's Jazz tapes

BobbyBluz

Due to a confidentiality agreement I can't say anything other than a batch of 1950's Jazz 1/4" tapes dubbed from the original masters will be available soon. These are direct copies done by the record company that originally recorded them. I'll give more info when they're released by the record company. From what I know you may have to order them direct.

Any info on pricing? The master tape dubs from the likes of Acoustic Sounds and The Tape Project run like $450 each :eek::eek: They do sound outstanding, though

EDIT: Both those sources sell half track 15 ips dubs copied in real time, which take up two 10.5" reels. The raw tape itself is close to $150 at retail, so with duplication costs, royalties, etc the price is almost reasonable. I'd expect that quarter track 7.5 ips copies would be a lot cheaper, since they'd only use 25% as much raw tape, and presumably only 25% as much time to copy (or even less if duplicated at higher speed).

Last edited:
The raw tape itself is close to $150 at retail,

WHERE are you sourcing?!?! "
2500' of SM900 is only 40 bucks/pancake
http://www.splicit.com/SM900-Recording-Tape-p/sm900.htm

That's for a pancake without a reel, while the folks selling master tape copies are selling with reels, and it takes two reels for one album at 15 ips half track. That same source has that tape on a reel for $68 each. So for two reels you're looking at $138 from your source, and other sources are similarly priced.

of course we'd want it on a reel.... duh !
Perhaps they could sell the product in pancake form and you could supply the flanges and other hardware to convert it into a reel. It might be be less expensive that way, assuming you already have the parts to do this.

Update at last: The first few releases are finally in packaging. There will be 15 ips 10" reels with NAB hubs (two per tape) and 7 1/2 ips on 7" reels with standard hubs (one per tape). List prices will be $400 for the 15 ips tapes and $200 for the 7 1/2 ips tapes. There may be a special discount for the first releases as well.

Cool! When will you be able to point us to a website for more info/ordering?

When I get the green light from the record company. The first releases were supposed to be out 4 months ago but there was a holdup in the packaging details plus one Blues tape needed remastering (currently in progress with gear out of the old Chess Records studio). I know the Jazz tapes are done and on reels as of two weeks ago.

Ahhh, OK, well I know who you’re talking about - Delmark Records - and it’s no secret - https://delmark.com/shop/reel/

I bought the Junior Wells Tape, and it was not done all that well, as has been discussed elsewhere, and as you indicated in your above post. It was good news a day or two that they are re-doing these. I heard the Sun Ra tape at Axpona and it sounded great so I have high hopes for that - I also have that on order.

Update at last: The first few releases are finally in packaging. There will be 15 ips 10" reels with NAB hubs (two per tape) and 7 1/2 ips on 7" reels with standard hubs (one per tape). List prices will be $400 for the 15 ips tapes and $200 for the 7 1/2 ips tapes. There may be a special discount for the first releases as well.
Yawn, too rich for my blood. Call me when they hit 1/10 of those prices.

Yeah. You can’t buy new 10.5” blank tape on crappy plastic reels for $40! The cost of a single reel of SM900 on a metal reel in a box is $75. So $150 for most albums. And that’s JUST for the material cost before anything is ever recorded on the tape!

Back
Top Bottom