A heads up for working on speakers.

Thatch_Ear

Addicted Member
Most of you probably know this but I don't recall it being mentioned. When soldering wires to a driver that has a cone you need to put some heavy paper or carboard between where you are soldering and the cone just in case a piece of molten metal flies off. You do not want to burn a hole in your speaker.
I was just doing some soldering on some subwoofers and thought I would post this simple but very important safeguard.
:D

Thatch,

So how big a hole did you make? :D

Actually that is a good idea! It would be even more appropriate for working with the new plastic diaphragms like polypropelene, etc.

Rob

I didn't make a hole because I always put something in to protect the cone. I find this is especially important when removing wires as solder tends to fly more when a stranded wire is pulled out. Sure enough, today if I hadn't taken the precaution I would more than likely have burned at least one hole in the poly cones because when I was pulling out some old cable solder did indeed fly. There are at least half a dozen brown spots on the paper I was using.

Hi Ron...I think I've visited your site before...great pics of your system and speakers.

How long have you had the Fostex horns?

Fostex Horns

Just built them, My own design and i couldnt be more pleased.I saw what was out there insofar as other designs and wasent impressed.Working on my 3rd gainclone and trying to make it a full intergrated amp with a phono stage, all batt powered to go along with the horns.Anybody tell you cant get bass out of a 4" driver with a .35 mm x-max dont believe them LOL.
ron (the lufkin tx dude)

A gaincard builder...how cool! I've heard a version of the clone a number of times...tho I'm not sure which chip was actually used in the one I heard...but that little thing is impressive!

This seems like a great project to try...even if your on a budget! Do you have any advice or pictures on building a clone?

I may have to add this on my 'to do' list...

thank ya

GC

Gonna make a page on the clone as soon as i finish with the horns and get the dwgs out. I still have 1 to finish (horns) and have to hand draft the dwg as my old 486 puter that i was using for cad went to silicone heaven and i had no usable back up for my dwgs.
The chip i have always used is the LM3875 op amp and if you build one right the sound is fanstastic.I make mine with a 30x gain (10 ohm/330 ohm) voltage divider for amplification and use a twin 50k linear pot for amp control.The P/S is 2, 12 vdc garden(lawn mower) batt so i have +/- 24vdc ripple free power.Build one , they are simple and the sound will blow you away.I would suggest that the first one you make is a pure amp so you will need some kind of either a pre or a control from your source.And i would not go for hi dollar parts for the first 2 as you will be astounded at the performance at first.
ron

Ron,
You ought to come to one of the Lonestar Bottlehead meetings. There is usually Bottlehead kit stuff there but it is mainly about DIY with most of the amps being tubes. Tubes are not a necessity by any means though.
Next meeting is in San Antonio on Sat the 7th of June.

Bottlehead meeting.

Sounds cool, i will try to make it,i do have 2 6bq5 PP homebrew amps,but kinda quit using them after i started with the clones. Might be a good place to show off (lol) my horn/clone combo.
ron

It would be a great place, and bring the clones along for the ride. Check out the Events & Happenings forum for more info.

Back
Top Bottom