A Jensen day

scoloheros

I went to get these speakers, all Jensen components in them. I paid more than I wanted to, a good deal I think but not a great deal, $350 for all. I would have passed on the Jensen OPC24 speakers but in another thread here, I read they are decent when working and maybe the last "OK" Jensen speaker made before they sold out. Just another project. The big woofer in the big cabs are W15-LF speakers, I can't find much about those. They were in-wall speakers, the new owner just didn't want them.

yFiiUK5.jpg

XsME7lx.jpg

The big ones are cool. Looks like an Onken cabinet. Let us know how they sound. Those MIGHT be winners.

The guy that bought the house they were in said they work but "didn't sound right ...somebody messed with the wiring..." He wasn't sure and I don't have the room to mess with these right now. They sure look good under the hood but I don't know how much Jensen was teasing people with looks back then. It does look high quality though, I'll find out sooner or later. I think the cab was made for inside wall mounting, took a lot of work imo.
RnZGipA.jpg

qnYXyhL.jpg

What model numbers are the drives in the big speakers?including the crossover.

The woofers are W15-LF, crossover is A 6410/8, horn is MH-6, tweeter is TE-40

OK, I think I understand the guy's email to me now before I bought them. He said he found them in the wall in the box but the speakers weren't connected to the box, I think meaning the speakers weren't mounted and wired. So I think he guessed at how they were wired and they didn't work. I don't know how they were originally wired. I'll take a closer look later, too much going on, too much junk around here. I need to get rid of stuff instead of buying more. The wiring diagram is on crossover, I just noticed it, I'll look at that later.

Last edited:
The woofers are W15-LF, crossover is A 6410/8, horn is MH-6, tweeter is TE-40

OK, I think I understand the guy's email to me now before I bought them. He said he found them in the wall in the box but the speakers weren't connected to the box, I think meaning the speakers weren't mounted and wired. So I think he guessed at how they were wired and they didn't work. I don't know how they were originally wired. I'll take a closer look later, too much going on, too much junk around here. I need to get rid of stuff instead of buying more. The wiring diagram is on crossover, I just noticed it, I'll look at that later.

Those look really nice.

I'm sure the speakers were probably still mounted, otherwise I think the chance of them surviving would be pretty low. My guess is that they were no longer connected to the "box" meaning the crossover.

Those look really nice.

I'm sure the speakers were probably still mounted, otherwise I think the chance of them surviving would be pretty low. My guess is that they were no longer connected to the "box" meaning the crossover.

I considered that but here are the exact words, "They were just sitting in a box made of plywood. They were not attached to the plywood." So I don't know what the situation was. It made me wonder if they were ever connected. They look nice to me too but I'm not at all familiar with this generation of Jenson, almost nothing out there and few opinions here on AK. The cabs though, there was a lot of work put into those and inserted in a wall. Anybody have a shot at when these were made?

1950s, I'd think.

What are the EIA codes? Should be 220xxx

What year was the house built? It might not be exact, but you can probably find out online if you have the address still.

I thought of going to the county appraisal site also for the build date, just haven't done it yet, I can find the address again. It would give me an idea unless the owner found the speakers earlier but yeah it's likely the person bought them new when the house was built. The house looked "70s" to me but I will go check. I'll go look for any EIA codes I can find. I just looked up the build date of the house, it was 1976. The speakers look earlier to me but I don't know.

Last edited:
Rebuild and enjoy the Jensen OPC24.

It will be interesting what you find inside for crossover, they did at least two versions. The latter ones had a better crossover, so I updated my early ones to match.
Somewhere on AK there is a thread about the latter crossover, with a schematic.

Rebuild and enjoy the Jensen OPC24.

It will be interesting what you find inside for crossover, they did at least two versions. The latter ones had a better crossover, so I updated my early ones to match.
Somewhere on AK there is a thread about the latter crossover, with a schematic.

I just got them out of the truck, I was curious about the crossover so I took it off but saw that it's sealed with rivets at the corners, it's heavy. There's some info on the back, a clue to the date?, what do you think, what does that mean? 8/10/1963 maybe? I was getting buyer's remorse really bad last night but I'm feeling a little better about it. I found a Mayflower "moving sticker" on each one so they weren't built at the house they were found in, it's a mystery where they came from. I have a hunch the cabs weren't intended to be mounted in a wall. If places on the cabinets were filled and sanded, then painted, they would look good imo. Oh, you were referring to the OPC24 pair? You have a pair of those? How do you like them?

oshxw5m.jpg

I7vP3Co.jpg

9ZBPHkL.jpg

No I hadn't come across that site before, unfortunately it's locking up when I go to it and I can't scroll down to see more info. A6410/8 I found out is the model number of the crossover https://www.ebay.com/itm/Jensen-Crossover-A6410-8-Vintage-3-Way-o-4-Way-en-paquete-original-2-disponibles-/302607356663?_ul=BO&nma=true&si=5Y358T8qWRLN0ZM3kI7ORdsG27g%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

OK. How do you get the "5" out of that number, 220742? I was able to finally open up the Jensen kit building building info you found, thanks that looks interesting.

Last edited:
OK. How do you get the "5" out of that number, 220742?

I didn't. It only tells me that year in the decade. The decade is something that was added later to the codes. Those drivers are too old to be from 67 or 77..... actually, I think by 77 they were adding the decade.

Jensen was switching from alnico to ceramic magnets by the 60's.......59/60, I think. It was right in there any way. Your drivers don't look like they would have ceramic magnets to me. To be completely up front, I haven't seen motor structures like that either...... That looks like it might be a cover. The larger Jensen motors I have don't look that refined, but what you have doesn't look like the typical Jensen cover either.

Just Google Jensen speaker plans, the literature is out there.

I think you have the Bass Ultraflex cabinet in a Triplex configuration...... built in version, of course.

I found the plans, edited earlier, thanks for that, that will be really helpful, saved it to my computer. Yeah the gold things are covers, I tapped on them, is that what you were referring to? I'd like to take a cover off but I kinda don't want to peel off that "j" sticker to get to the screw. Well I imagine these would sound pretty good when hooked up and going. I'll get to the wiring sooner or later and check it out. Yeah I think it's the Bass Ultraflex-15 like you said, I'm sure glad you found that, and I was glad to read that the built-in design works fine as a free standing unit also, yeah I felt good about that. I plan to move sooner or later and if I keep these, I don't know if the next house I find will have a wall with room enough. I am feeling better about these, I was thinking "Oh no!, what have you done man!"

Last edited:
Yeah the gold things are covers, I tapped on them, is that what you were referring to? I'd like to take a cover off but I kinda don't want to peel off that "j" sticker to get to the screw.

I would not peel the stickers just to get to the screws. Finding out what's under there is not worth damaging the stickers. I'm not sure the ceramic motors got covers. The new Italian made Jensen speakers do, but that's to make them look more classical, or vintage.

I don't know if the next house I find will have a wall with room enough. I am feeling better about these, I was thinking "Oh no!, what have you done man!"

I would never build speakers in, especially with an existing house. You'd probably have to build a wall and lose several feet of space. Plus you couldn't move them.

Yeah that's a good point, I'd want to be able to move them if I wanted to. Here's where they use to be before taken out of the wall. Unfortunately the grills got thrown away.
vHkx8de.jpg

I finally hooked them up, there is nothing wrong with them. Maybe the guy that said something was wrong with them had the backs off, if he listened to them at all. They are really loud, like a giant console sound. It sounds like they would especially do classical well but I had them stacked so I still don't know exactly how they sound with stereo. They sound like they are supposed to sound, imo. I don't mean this in a neg way, but they would make really good dance floor speakers, or even gig speakers, big and loud sound.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom