A little audio nostalgia.

Steven Tate

CEO Flat Forehead Soc.
I was reminiscing about my childhood experience with audio via my dad's hobby and thought I would share it to see if it jogs memories in any of you old guys (like me). I was born in 1950 as the post-war interest in audio was getting in full swing. My dad was an engineer for the phone company and a life-long ham operator who built his own equipment. He was the techie of his day. In the 50's, there was no stereo vinyl or FM stereo.

So his first nice amp was an Eico of some kind - I think maybe an 81. He found an FM radio with no case and got it working to play through the Eico. He also bought an old Garrard turntable and refurbished it. He never bought anything new. I remember him playing his favorite albums on that system -- Chet Atkins and The Ames Brothers. As stereo approached in the early 60's, he had built a console with a single 12" speaker to play his Eico through. The memory that jogged all of this was when everyone was interested in stereo, but there weren't yet stereo broadcasts in our area (Dallas).

He got very excited when two sister radio stations - one FM and one AM - announced they were going to simulcast two stereo channels for a short program. One channel on AM and one on FM. He set up a table top AM radio on one side of the room and his console system on the other side and waited with great anticipation for the first stereo broadcast he had ever heard. I was there and he excitedly pointed out the differences in the music coming through each channel. It's hard to believe it was such a big deal, but it definitely was at the time. Horns forward in the left channel and piano forward in the right? Wow! Not long after that, FM stations started broadcasting in multiplex stereo, and he got his hands on a bare chassis Curtis Mathes stereo that had the "magic eye" tube for center tuning. The space age had arrived.

Of course, he had to build a new console that was longer and had speakers on each end. He studied speaker design and made them actual internal enclosures scientifically designed to match the very nice 8" speakers he got to use as woofers/midrange to go with horn tweeters. When he finished it, he put a stereo cartridge in the Garrard and played stereo Chet Atkins. I thought the sound was the best possible audio in the world. It sounded like you were in the room with Chet Atkins.

My dad never moved into the solid state era, but in 1972, when I was 22 and in the Navy, I bought my first nice stereo - a Marantz 2230, and soon upgraded to a 2245. Those younger than me can't imagine a time when stereo was not available or was just a novelty. But I'll never forget the excitement and amazement I experienced when I heard that first AM/FM stereo in my dad's living room. Anybody else have memories of that transition era?
Steve

Last edited:
Can I get a few carriage returns (enter) to install some white space in that paragraph, please?

Good on the carriage return! LOL!! For me it was seeing COLOR TV in the early 1960's. Looked horrid BUT still color. I remember seeing the NBC peacock on it. The same guy who owned the Color TV also had a bomb shelter in his back yard, about 12 feet underground.

Good on the carriage return! LOL!! For me it was seeing COLOR TV in the early 1960's. Looked horrid BUT still color. I remember seeing the NBC peacock on it. The same guy who owned the Color TV also had a bomb shelter in his back yard, about 12 feet underground.
Ahhh, color TV. My parents didn't go color until almost 1970. You couldn't find them for free needing repair, so it wasn't for my dad. But I remember friends who had early color. The main thing I remember is that in many of them, the three colors didn't align all that well and everything had a ghost. But "Bonanza" was in color!

Yeah, had to leave the console tv a few inches from the wall. Almost every day, needed access to vertical and Horizontal holds on the back. Could do it blind based on muscle memory after a while....back in the pre-stereo days, some people used two radios across from each other tuned to the same station to mimic stereo.

Yeah, had to leave the console tv a few inches from the wall. Almost every day, needed access to vertical and Horizontal holds on the back. Could do it blind based on muscle memory after a while....back in the pre-stereo days, some people used two radios across from each other tuned to the same station to mimic stereo.
Yep. We had a mirror on the wall directly opposite the TV so we could see the screen to adjust horizontal and vertical hold.

How's that? :biggrin: I guess I'm a stream-of-conciousness writer.
Thanks for that. Opening the thread and I was overwhelmed with one big block of text. I'm an old paperboy (money to buy gear since my dad said I couldn't buy a car and I didn't need a house) and newspapers are one sentence = a paragraph. Much easier to read for me...but then I went through special therapy for motor control of my eyes which work much better but I skip big blocks of text, still. I have no idea if others need to have paragraphs or not, never, ever read anything with anyone else's eyes!!

Worth the read, the excitement of a first stereo broadcast. I don't remember any 'stereo' excitement moving from a table radio to other devices and my brother bought a nice Sony receiver in 1969, I guess with AR-4x, Dual 1019/Shure V15. I got hooked. Thanks for sharing.

My folks didn't get a color TV until 1981! SONY! Excellent color. Finally retired the ion bombardment tube in 2009 for a Visio 42"

Ion bombardment tube. Love it! I'm a dentist and we use lead aprons when we take x-rays. I guess we're about 50 years late learning we probably should have been wearing lead aprons when watching TV as a kid. :yikes:

Ion bombardment tube. Love it! I'm a dentist and we use lead aprons when we take x-rays. I guess we're about 50 years late learning we probably should have been wearing lead aprons when watching TV as a kid. :yikes:

That's why there's lead in the glass, and shielding around all the x-ray generating components in the back of an old TV. If you sit at a reasonable distance, you're at background radiation levels. Up close just barely above, it's nothing like dental X-rays. If your TV is working wrong, the high voltage is cranked up too high, and you've tampered with or removed the shielding, well then, all bets are off. But you didn't do that, right?

Great thread. I was born too late (1973), cause I'm fascinated with the 20th century prior to my birth. Really would have liked to experience all that.

My dad had been involved with music his entire life until he joined the Army Air force in early 41. He won state Singing contests, solo violin and piano also. He had his own quintet dance band during and after college. The war changed all that. But he could still sing lead or harmony to any tune from the 30's 40's and 50's as if he had been doing it all my life. He considered himself a Bass baritone. What he was was a true Bass with an extra octave on top of a Bass normal sing range. He didn't like my first 3 HIfi systems. But when I got the Bozaks, I showed him how to use the system. He knew about records of course, didn't care for tape, but played a lot of radio. I'd turn the system on in the morning and he would listen all day while I was at school. He helped teach me to master trombone and Euphonium to some extent. He played either baritone or Eb alto horn in the high school and college bands. He'd transpose anything at the drop of a hat. My Grand mother had a 6 ft Butter fly Grand at her house, and he would go over at least 2 or 3 times a week and play duets with her. He would help her out rehearsing the music for church on our small pipe Organ. We were all a very musical family on his side. My mother couldn't carry a tune in a bucket my Dad would say. But she was a Hell of a dancer when she was younger, I learned later on from some of her college friends. I can't dance, I have to left feet. But the love of music has continued on to this day . Every once in a while I pull out my Besson Euphonium and play along with pop music I am familiar with. I might also pull out some sheet music and play along when listening to Sousa marches. Thats an Idea i just might get out the horn and start building back my embouchure. In short lip and facial muscles. It usually takes me about 7 to 10 days to get to a F above high Bb. I'm still full of hot air so I don't think I'll have any breath support problems. I should have never let my King 2B and 4b get away from me. Anyone know who Steven Mead is? How about Urbie Green?

Last edited:
My dad had been involved with music his entire life until he joined the Army Air force in early 41. He won state Singing contests, solo violin and piano also. He had his own quintet dance band during and after college. The war changed all that. But he could still sing lead or harmony to any tune from the 30's 40's and 50's as if he had been doing it all my life. He didn't like my first 3 HIfi systems. But when I got the Bozaks, I showed him how to use the system. He knew about records of course, didn't care for tape, but played a lot of radio. I'd turn the system on in the morning and he would listen all day while I was at school. He helped teach me to master trombone and Euphonium to some extent. He played either baritone or also horn in the high school and college bands. He'd transpose anything at the drop of a hat. My Grand mother had a 6 ft Butter fly Grand at her house, and he would go over at least 2 or 3 times a week and play duets with her. He would help her out rehearsing the music for church on our small pipe Organ. We were all a very musical family on his side. My mother couldn't carry a tune in a bucket my Dad would say. But she was a Hell of a dancer when she was younger, I learned later on from some of her college friends. I can't dance, I have to left feet. But the love of music has continued on to this day . Every once in a while I pull out my Besson Euphonium and play along with pop music I am familiar with. I might also pull out some sheet music and play along when listening to Sousa marches. Thats an Idea i just might get out the horn and start building back my embouchure. In short lip and facial muscles. It usually takes me about 7 to 10 days to get to a F above high Bb. I'm still full of hot air so I don't think I'll have any breath support problems. I should have never let my King 2B and 4b get away from me. Anyone know who Steven Mead is? How about Urbie Green?
I know exactly who Urbie Green is. I used an Urbie Green signature mouthpiece when I played trombone in school about a hundred years ago.

My Dad was responsible for my interest in audio and building speakers. He built a pair of Aristocrats back in the early 60s and helped me build a pair of EV bass reflex enclosures with SP12b's as my 1st hi fi speakers after I was married in '69

Born only four years after the OP, but that was a big four years. I listened to am as a kid and fm was stereo by the time I got interested, though our old cars still had mono-only fm into the '60s. My older sister had a portable mono vinyl spinner, but the console in the den was stereo, from Sears & Roebuck. Daddy also liked Chet and Ed, so the OP struck a chord there, but his favorites were Ernest Tubb and Jimmie Rodgers - throw in a Glenn Miller with American Patrol and In the Mood, and he was happy.

My dad was responsible for my love of music and HiFi. I remember listening to a Zenith tube console with a big satellite speaker cabinet until dad got his first real stereo in the late 70s. I'm not even sure the Zenith was actually stereo, but it sounded great to my young ears. Then dad upgraded during my teen years and I've been hooked ever since.

Back
Top Bottom