A little help with some 901s

joshnich

Hello all,

I recently picked up a pair of Series V 901s for 100 bucks. I figure I could turn them around on ebay as lots of people like these speakers. I figured that I might have to refoam the speaks before I sell them. My problem is that I cannot figure out how to take the grills off. These are in PERFECT cosmetic condition so I dont want to just stick a scredriver in and start prying. There has got to be a better way. I am flumoxed. I cannot find any screws or logical way to take em off. Any Ideas would be helpful.

Thanks a bunch!

Josh :headscrat :headscrat

wish I could help you, I had the same experience 2 nights ago... never did get a peek inside 'em. :no:

I don't know if this will help, but I found a post at speakerrepair.com that might help...

http://www.speakerrepair.com/mboardmessages3/191.shtml

And here's the message...

Larry
Unregistered
Email

6/17/2003
11:40:09
RE: cleaning sticky foam off paper cones
IP: Logged

I didn't know about the exchange program. Maybe I'll do that in a few months.

I refoamed a set of series V's. I'm driving them with a refurbished Marantz 2252B from the mid-70s.

I had no alignment problems. The cones have a cloth insert that supports them (look inside the speaker frame with a flashlight) and the cones are very stiffly suspended. No voice coil or cone alignment problems (Knock on wood). I think I know why no one wants to touch them. If you're not careful, you could make a mess. I replaced the foam with the drivers still installed in the case because of the same wirewrap wirewrap issue. I used small tongue depressors to work the surround and small stiff brushes for the glue. I glued all the cone sides on first and then glued on the frame sides when the cones were dry. You get pretty good by driver number three and luckily, the glue I had dried clear. It took me about 12 working hours to finish all 18 drivers and get the grills back on.

The front grills look harder to get off than they are. There will be either small nails or small staples holding them on. On my series V's there were 10 staples on each speaker. They are the same color as the grills, and very hard to spot. Use a flashlight and look at the front about an inch in from the sides. about an inch from the top and bottom and somewhere about mid way you should find the fasteners for the front. Each side also had two staples. Also about an inch from the corner near the top and bottom. I pulled them by carefully driving a scribe tip under the staple and prying up. They're nearly impossible to get back in. there may also be some glue holding the front on (none on mine but I've had reports of it). The cover just slides straight forward (its still a tight fit) when you get the fasteners out. If it doesn't come fairly easy, look for fasteners you have missed.

Hope this helps you. Let me know how it goes.

Larry

If you use needle nose pliers, you can grab the staple and not the grille cloth. Leave the drivers in the cabinets-there's no need to remove them.

Thanks guys...my eyes are not what they used to be! Ill put the glasses on and check for the staples. I knew it had to be easier than it appeared!

Josh

Back
Top Bottom