A little problem with my MA6200 amp - help requested

I think this the relay that was jumpered and the replacement part. If the tech just added jumpers around the relay then restoring proper function after relay replacement should be easy.

MA6200 replacement relay.JPG Relay schematic.JPG

I am sorry but I don't understand what the problem is ??? If the speaker relay is bad change it . Making jumpers is not serious and is very dangerous for your speakers .

This is the part I did suspect 2 pages ago and you did not follow recommendations

a week lost

This is your amp after all , do what you want

My tech did the jumpers without my authorization. I'm trying to fix it right by putting a new relay in and removing the new jumpers.

Is the relay in the Mouser catalog listing the correct replacement part?

Please try to keep up before insulting me.

This is not my profession and I greatly appreciate all the help.

@FauxHall
Ok, so the tech bypassed Omron LY2-0-DC100/110 that was installed right?
In addition to that we have a second relay that seems to be LRA something (sorry the picture is out of focus). And that relay is shot...right?

Maybe you can take a picture of the relays using the macro setting on your camera phone.

The LY2 relay is rated at 100/110 vdc and the schematic shows the coil being supplied 46VDC.

The other relay is rated at 240VAC and is being fed 240VAC mains power.

I haven't opened the bottom cover and traced the leads yet, but logic suggests that the LY2 relay is the one that failed and needs replacement.

Last edited:
The LY2 relay is rated at 100/110 vdc and the schematic shows the coil being supplied 46VDC.
The other relay is rated at 240VAC and is being fed 240VDC mains power.
I haven't opened the bottom cover and traced the leads yet, but logic suggests that the LY2 relay is the one that failed and needs replacement.

I believe an Omron LY2-DC48 will do the job then, let's see what others with more knowledge have to say.

Did not know Google translator could be insulting........

Around here we see any number of shall I say "thrifty" repairs, corners cut to save techs time and put more dollars in their pocket. Usually these "repairs" do not cause a fire hazard, just many returned faulty repairs. The good enough additude is alive and well, mostly from those doing mostly TV repair.

Patrice though, having been doing repair in France for decades has seen any number of dangerous modifactions done to get U.S. made vintage gear to work in Europe. European and Asian collectors do crave American vintage audio gear.

Google translator may sometimes be blunt but when fire safety is at stake would you expect any less?

Being it is 7:00 AM and this is my morning coffee time, I will have to recheck the schematics later.

Since I refreshed my cup I just used the AK search function for 087-019 and found a similar discussion between Jkent and Classic CJ, another long time tech about the two relays, this time in a MAC4100.

The search function is your friend and a time saver for all.

Last edited:
Well I have both MA6200 schematics open.....K1 is the speaker relay Mac part # 087-019 a DPDT 24 volt relay.

K2 is a 110 volt for the US only DPDT used as part of the auto on circuit. As Patrice tried to point out for safety this should be a 240 volt relay for Europe etc.

What was done to sub in the 110 volt relay in the past for the speaker relay........who knows?

Has the main fuse been downsized to a 2 amp (F2) and 1/2 amp for F1 assuming you can adapt it to accept a 240 volt AC mains plug from your turntable? Or maybe it is best to disable all the courtesy AC plugs on the back.

The conversation to 240VAC happened before I bought it in Seoul. I'll check the amperage on the fuses - good point.

I won't bother with using any of the aux power sockets as they are for flat blades. Nor will I use the auto-on feature.

The existing 100/110 VDC rating worked so I'll stick with that

Anything else I should get at Mouser? New power supply caps maybe?

So a 240 volt relay was used in the K2 location and someone put a 110 volt relay in the K1 speaker relay location. The K1 relay is giving you problems with channel dropout......? and you say it is working right?

I have no idea what LY1 or 2 are since the schematic references K1 and K2.......

The speaker relay WAS dropping one channel but now it is jumpered out

So I get both channels but I've lost the DC inrush protection the relay was designed to prevent

Maybe get a 50VDC rated relay then?

Wow, this thread has gone rather acidic very quickly.....
Good grief.
No wonder people don't come here for technical assistance, there's been a lot of this lately. By the way I have almost completed the repair of the MC2100 owner who was scared off recently, and by messages and remote help.

@FauxHall get us a picture so we can have a look, when I replaced the soft start relay in my C32, it was not that difficult to find the correct part, so get us a good clear close up showing the writing on the top, and show the bottom of possible, we need to see what terminals are on it.
I might be that we need a MYD rather than a LYD series relay.
It is not difficult, you could probably even replace the relay yourself with guidance.
If you don't want to get ridiculed by the McIntosh Illuminati here, just PM me.....

I am sorry but I don't understand what the problem is ??? If the speaker relay is bad change it . Making jumpers is not serious and is very dangerous for your speakers .

This is the part I did suspect 2 pages ago and you did not follow recommendations

a week lost

This is your amp after all , do what you want

@clinic-audio Patrice, he already had the 6200 at the tech shop when he started the thread so didn't know what the tech was doing to his 6200. This is what the tech ended up doing without his consent, so now we are trying to help him source the correct relay and have him replace it to get the 6200 back to normal operation..

Acidic, I am a base kind of guy myself....

Ridiculed? Without the correct factory part numbers and schematic reference it all becomes a guess and when you are dealing with mains voltage guesses don't cut it.

The thread I referenced has NTE part numbers and everything.

I'm getting a better picture of the personalities involved.

But thanks for everyone's continued help.

It appears that at some time in the past, when the tech changed to unit over from US mains power to Korea mains the wrong relay was installed in the speaker relay slot. My guess. This relay might not latch correctly with only 24 volts.

Now Kev was not around back when we had issues back in 1978 with MC2205 and such with relays not latching due to mains sag but I am certain he knows of what happened with many of the Perraux units due to the line sag so many of our cities have during air conditioning season.

It appears that at some time in the past, when the tech changed to unit over from US mains power to Korea mains the wrong relay was installed in the speaker relay slot. My guess. This relay might not latch correctly with only 24 volts.

Now Kev was not around back when we had issues back in 1978 with MC2205 and such with relays not latching due to mains sag but I am certain he knows of what happened with many of the Perraux units due to the line sag so many of our cities have during air conditioning season.

Down here Chris, it was brute force audio, pure signal path for the Perreaux, NO relay!! How about that. (at least thats how it was in the older amps...the PMF series...)

I always use Omron relays these days, they are by far the most popular and widely used relays in the world...

Safe to say these days that NTE is not what is was and source their parts from other manufacturers, so their relays are probably rebranded Omron's anyway....

Regarding conversion in MC INTOSH products :
none MC INTOSH is using 240V DC V Relays
there is only 110V DC V Relays and depending how your MA6200 conversion has been done but I am sure that 240V is not right ! 240V voltage conversion made here over 42 years without any trouble
Regarding MA6200 : there is 087030 K2 110VDCV for mains soldered on PCB , with C703 10µF/160V (who will explode if connected to 240V ! )
and K1 087019 DC24V insert to a socket
I honestly don't understand how this "tech" can make a mistake ! physicaly impossible to use one relay instead the other !
other question ?

Last edited:
Seems strange to me also but OP has posted that the 110 volt relay was in the 24 volt spot....I do think one of his pictures shows a 110 volt relay in the 24 volt spot so who knows what was done in the past......

The problem with the Perraux products here in the states as I remember,was that the regulation circuits burned up trying to overcome the mains supply voltage sag. The DC supply voltages would drop below the input threshold of the regulator circuits and they would fail. As a non Perraux dealer I did not have first hand info on this other than disgrunted customer complaints and a interesting conversation with the former importer over a few brews late in the day at a CES. This was at his new startup Modial?? If I remember correctly a Tony??? Too many years ago...!!

Back
Top Bottom