A little Rotel love: RX-802

Electone

Picked up a stunning example of this (rather rare?) receiver. Not a tremendous amount of info out there, made between 1976-1981. Although technically not a "monster" at 50w/ch, it has monster dimensions - it's two feet wide. They say beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but this is one of the most gorgeous pieces of audio equipment I've ever seen and the controls are laid out completely horizontally for outstanding ergonomics. I'm trying to decide what it sounds like, and I'm thinking it leans towards Yamaha - a more balanced, clean presentation. It is completely original, boards are laid out in the easiest possible manner for service and I will be replacing electrolytics this coming winter.

10f401s.jpg

2v7yrkx.jpg

Last edited:
I had the chance to audition an RX-802 unit a while ago and to me a warm, really nice sound, pretty dynamic. Maybe new components played some important role, but I was quite impressed with sonic performance.

As for image hosting, try Tinypic: I have pics uploaded there more than 3 years ago, still online...

Yes, that series is very attractive. No doubt influenced by B&O and the other offerings from Europe at the time, where things were sleek, wide and easy to operate. :)

Picked up a Rotel RX-202 MkII, gave it a recap. Gobsmacked! That started a
shopping spree including a RX-802, -604, -402,,, and another RX-202 MkII.
These are waiting refurbishment. While the RX-202MkII can't match my Yamaha
CA-1000, 1010, 2010,, Pioneer SA-8800II,,, Luxman L-480,,, etc it remains one
of my favourites. A great fun Rx for a few dollars. When the time comes,
appreciate if you could post pics/suggestions on your RX-802 refurb.

Agree, it's gorgeous...

Agree, it's gorgeous...

Well, I was going to wait until the winter, but while I was cleaning the volume control again (I'm getting a little "swishing" sound the first 1/4 turn on the volume control), I noticed some of the power supply / relay board caps' sleeves have really shrunk. I don't think it's a high heat area as the output transistors are along the back, but what the hell, parts are ordered and it's getting a recap this week. The main filter caps I ordered (Cornell Dubiler 381LX) will be slightly narrower, but only about 1/3 the height! I'll be using Nichicon PW for the power supply board, Nichicon KA for the amplifier board and various Nichicon audio-grade caps for the pre-amp & phono boards. I will not be touching the tuner boards.

Last edited:
I completly refurbished my Rotel 402 and love it. I also put WIMA MKS caps everywhere I could in the audio path and replaced the carbon comp resistors in the power supply with metal film. Its a great receiver as I'm sure the 802 is.

Awesome looker and rare !
Photobucket is a joke... no more 3rd party hosting...
they want money now.. not like flickr..

Well, I was going to wait until the winter, but while I was cleaning the volume control again (I'm getting a little "swishing" sound the first 1/4 turn on the volume control), I noticed some of the power supply / relay board caps' sleeves have really shrunk. I don't think it's a high heat area as the output transistors are along the back, but what the hell, parts are ordered and it's getting a recap this week. The main filter caps I ordered (Cornell Dubiler 381LX) will be slightly narrower, but only about 1/4 the height! I'll be using Nichicon PW for the power supply board, Nichicon KA for the amplifier board and various Nichicon audio-grade caps for the pre-amp & phono boards. I will not be touching the tuner boards.
Hi, could you take some pictures of the process (before/after)? :thumbsup:

Honey, I shrunk the filter capacitors!

2i6e5ax.jpg

I just received my package from Digikey and every replacement cap is about a third the size of the original. It's going to look mighty empty inside when I'm done.

Well, job is finished. It went perfectly until I got to the pre-amp board and then all hell broke loose. The pre-amp board is the only board that sits upside down and you have to remove the dial lamp cover to reach it. In precarious proximity to the path of where you are soldering is the dial string. I moved the string back a little for room, but you guessed it, I hit it with the soldering iron and snap :yikes:. Shit. I have tied the ends together for now, but the string is way too tight and the dial pointer is off a little now. Although all the other boards were rock solid, the pre-amp board had serious issues with traces lifting. When I was doing my initial testing, the right channel was very weak and it was due to a broken trace on the board. I also managed to under-order by several caps and I don't know how the hell I did that since I recounted two or three times :mad:. Lucky I keep a stash of caps around. To add insult to injury, my arm just moved the lamp board (which was loose) enough that two lamp terminals touched ground and poof - tuner went out and so did all lamps. Two fuses blew. Annoyingly, they are not snap-in fuse holders - they are hard-wired in.

All issues except the dial string have been dealt with. I'm going to re-string it when I get some more time. Here are photos:

This is the evil pre-amp board before recap. It is incredibly tight in there and there are a ton of caps. I didn't take an after photo as I was too irritated...

2d1v21j.jpg

Power supply / relay board before and after:
4izuye.jpg

10yo1ue.jpg

Amp board before and after:
2gtbvv8.jpg

msok8k.jpg

Filter caps. I used a little foam tape to take up the extra space:
23prma.jpg

Reactions: mbz
You are quick, a recap like tat would take a week, needing to walk away bedore doing damage. That preamp board would really test me.
At least 2 of the power supply caps look tired. Slow power up (variac? DBT?), relay click, check bias. Listening impressions...

You are quick, a recap like tat would take a week, needing to walk away bedore doing damage. That preamp board would really test me.
At least 2 of the power supply caps look tired. Slow power up (variac? DBT?), relay click, check bias. Listening impressions...

Quite a few caps had shrunken sleeves, even on the pre-amp. I'm usually a couple days to recap a receiver. Would have had this one done quicker if not for the nasty pre-amp board. I power up the receiver after each individual board is recapped that way I know where the issue is. I use a DBT. Bias is set at 30mV per channel. I've never really heard sound differences in any of the equipment I've restored in the past, so I'm not expecting much here. For me, this type of restoration is maintenance.

I've never really heard sound differences in any of the equipment I've restored in the past, so I'm not expecting much here.
I've always/nearly always(?) detected an improvements after refurb however I've been disappointed with the level of improvement especially with NAD's.
CA-800, -1000, -1010 were quite noticable.

I've always/nearly always(?) detected an improvements after refurb however I've been disappointed with the level of improvement especially with NAD's.
CA-800, -1000, -1010 were quite noticable.

Perhaps if a unit is beat to hell there could be some sonic differences, but I've never come across a unit where the caps were either bulged to the point of explosion or leaking electrolyte as of yet.

I managed to replace the dial string last night - I used some thick steering wheel cover thread (for leather-wrapped wheels). I'm actually glad that the old dial cord snapped because I can't believe the difference in the tuning action now. Smooth and light whereas before it was rather rough. A major section of the dial cord sits right in front of five incandescent fuse-style lamps and they get really warm - I think they eventually cook the cord in that section and affect the tuning action. I may look into LED fuse-style lamps.

Agree, it's gorgeous...

Hi I've also gone on a Rotel RX spending spree this week now have 2 Rotel RX-602 and just won a Rotel RX-802 for £31 + postage which is about $41! But the 2 meter lights on left are dead not that it bothers me I use the amps for Aux mainly.

How does the Pioneer SA-8800 II compare to the Rotel RX-802 ? Is it a subtle difference in sound quality? Its my dream to buy one of the big daddy Pioneer SA amps.

I have the Rotel RX-602 & Pioneer SA-5500 II the difference between them is subtle. The RX-602 has stronger bass and treble whilst the SA-5500 II has stronger midrange.

I'm having a bit of a clean out at the moment and discovered an RX-602, will probably
be a keeper, recap etc... I'm a little surprised that the SA-5500II rates so highly
against the RX-602. Bottom line, a lot of good cheap gear out there...

I've only played the SA-8800II once, trying to resist the temptation, it's waiting
refurbishment. When completed I'm expecting something like the Yamaha CA-1000 detail,
sound stage but a better bass reproduction. I've recapped a SA-7800, yes a nice amp
that just falls short of the CA-1000, think the SA-8800II will be a good choice.

I've got some Sansui's on my shopping list AU-919/999 or there abouts. Would like to
get something better but very expensive

Back
Top Bottom