A little SANSUI Score

oldmarantz

Hi all
I found yesterday this little SANSUI AU 4400 but I don t find specs about this amp even in the Blue Book I guess it must be a 2x25w amp max but if you ve got infos I m interested...the front is strange with this unusual color it sounds very powerful for a little amp:)
Dom

Last edited:
From the serial # in the back, you have an October 1974 model. The rated wattage is 20W- the next model up , the AU-5500 was 32W.

Yes, the color is different on that model than on just about all the others that I know of- I was aware of that and that observation has been on my List of Sansui questions for some time.

Hi oldmarantz,

It looks real good. You didn't mention how much, but as this one looks to be really clean and straight it's hard to see how you could go wrong, unless of course, it was lots of $.

I've seen one like this on Oz ebay before which meant a 240V model is most cases. Perhaps this unusual colour finish, unusual for sansui that is, showed up in only non-US markets. Like the back receivers? I think both are cool.

cheers
Jack

PS. Like you avatar. That's a great LP! :)

Hi jack

I d got it for 40 bucks not a very big deal but not so bad I bought it because I like Sansui (and Marantz stuffs);) I ve (or had) got an au 5500 6900 9900 before and for a little amp it sounds good and powerful... it s a SANSUI!!!
You know Year of the cat? a nice Album all songs are good, full of memories to me :)

Dom.

Hi Dom,

I think you've done more than alright with the price. Congrats!

I had a AU7900 before which also sounded more "powerful" than I initially expected. Those mid-70's Sansui amps are really terrific. What I would really like is AU6600 or AU7700 just for the looks. :)

a nice Album all songs are good
Yep, I was saying to someone here sometime ago, that this is one of the few albums where I can listen right through. No getting up to skip the "filler" tracks. Also like his "Time Passages" LP. Grew up on this stuff. :)

cheers
Jack

hey oldmarantzman,

you´re a VERY lucky guy.

i own only a 9090db and a7900z.

hoping your luck continues...

redwine

Dom,

Congrats again! I haven't seen many of these little one. I have a Au217II together with a TU217 and they are both great little pieces. Both the AU217 and AU117 were recommended by some of the Brit audio mags. If I get the chance this weekend, I'm going to compare the AU217 with the Yamaha CA610 which is meant to be pretty good too.

You're on a roll here, keep it going! :)

Jack

Hi Redwine
You re not unlucky too I ll love to find a 9090 db to see if it is as good as my Marantz 4300

Thanks Car67 it s unusual to find 2 Sansui like these amps

Dom :D

i'm taking back an old one, but would it be possible to get a few more info about the sound of the 4400 ? is it worthy to buy ? How does it compare to bigger brothers ?

Back
Top Bottom