A new Canon!

Wireworm5

Audiophile
I seen an ad for a new Canon Digital camera, 10 megapixels. The lens for the EOS 35mm cameras are suppose to work with it. If so I have to buy it, since I have a 400 zoom and a 55mm which would be fully automatic if compatiable. Anyways the list price was $2000 cdn. has anyone else seen it?

Not sure what you could be thinking about, but I don't think Canon's got any DSLR that's 10Mp. There's the 300D/Digital Rebel that's 6mp going for about $650 USD right now, the new Rebel XT/350D that's 8mp and about $1000 US. Next in line is the 20D, 8mp, $1500. Then the "pro" models, the 1D MKII, also 8mp but $4000 give or take, or the 1DS MkII, 16mp, for a whopping $8000! Any of these cameras will work with your EOS (EF) lenses. Up through the 20D, the cameras have 22.5mm x 15mm sensors, which will result in -- in simplified terms-- your lenses appearing to be longer than they are on a 35mm film camera by about 1.6x. IOW, your 55mm lens would have the field of view of an 88mm lens. Your 400mm would be like a 640mm.

When you get to the 1D MkII, the sensor is a little larger, but still smaller than 35mm film. The "crop factor" is 1.3.

The 1DS MkII has a "full frame" sensor : It's 24mm X 36mm, like 35mm film. Your lenses will work just like they do on a 35mm film camera.

These are all fine cameras. Which might be best for you depends on how serious you are about photography and how much cash you're willing to spend.

Jason

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom