A Newb from So Cal

So call roll call. Here!
I got into vintage audio when a neighbor walked across the street and handed me a Mcintosh MC225 and an MX110 he had stored in his garage.
Welcome!
Sounds like I need to move to your So Cal Neighborhood. Although I did once have neighbor walk across the street and steal a stereo out of my garage......while it was playing.

Welcome to the AK boards @AudioSearch. That's quite a collection of silver (and @ least one Mac) goodies in the photo @ the OP.

re: this...
...have offices I support and visit in LA, OC, Ventura, SB, SLO, and Kern.

As a former SoCal denizen (in order over a 15-year period: South Bay, IE, and Santa Barbara), I can attest to your commuting pain (more like a waking nightmare). I recall once an "after work" drive that started out @round 3:30pm in Santa Monica and concluded (in Claremont) approximately 4 hours later. Ugh.

Welcome to the AK boards @AudioSearch. That's quite a collection of silver (and @ least one Mac) goodies in the photo @ the OP.

As a former SoCal denizen (in order over a 15-year period: South Bay, IE, and Santa Barbara), I can attest to your commuting pain (more like a waking nightmare). I recall once an "after work" drive that started out @round 3:30pm in Santa Monica and concluded (in Claremont) approximately 4 hours later. Ugh.
They are adding 2 lanes each way on the 405 between the 605 and the 55. They will have to replace pretty much every bridge and every on and off ramp. I live less than a mile from the 405 in the middle of the project area. Whoopy 5 years of fun!

View attachment 1277563 Hello Everyone, greetings from Southern California. A few years ago, a friend that was a Stereo Store Manager back in the 70s, reintroduced me to vintage audio with an emphasis on Marantz. He reminded me of the beautiful aesthetics and wonderful sounding equipment I admired as a kid, but never owned. I looked on CL, bought a 2270 and was immediately hooked. I started buying, restoring, (well, having professionals restore)bartering, reselling, and collecting. For the past few years my entire audiophile contact list has consisted of 5 individuals. It’s time to expand my sphere, so here I am. I subscribed less than 2 weeks ago and have already received great advice and the offer of assistance from Bob. I’m looking forward to interacting with the community.
Welcome & congrats for your gears AS :)

@kaplang
The MX series are great sounding preamps. I began my audio journey with an MX 113 and an MC 2105. Great sound! Excellent phono stage. Tube pre and SS amp; perfect!
I was young, and sold them to buy a Kawasaki Z1 bike. (What an ***hole). But it was fast.

Dave
Niki Lauda & Jody Scheckter, sir you are my friend :)

They are adding 2 lanes each way on the 405 between the 605 and the 55. They will have to replace pretty much every bridge and every on and off ramp. I live less than a mile from the 405 in the middle of the project area. Whoopy 5 years of fun!

Oy, that sounds it gonna be hell on earth.

Thanks for the welcome.
I made that drive the other morning in reverse. But it only took 2-1/2 hours. The traffic is really not that bad...... as long as you drive before 5:00am and after 8:00pm......unless you have to deal with the 405, 5, or 101.

Cal Trans recently added lanes to the 405 between the 10 and 101 freeways near where I live in both directions. It took a couple of years and was a real mess for commuters that drove that route. Some overpasses also had to be widened in the process. It was suppose to help eleviate the traffic jams at a cost of hundreds of millions of dollars and it didn’t really help. That section of the freeway still has bumper to bumper traffic all day long.

@Beau Geste
So excellent to find an F1 friend on an audio forum.
The avatar is actually Niki Lauda and Alain Prost, definitely 2 of my favs. It's hard to tell sometimes when they've only just removed their helmets. I followed Prost's racing all the way thru his carreer. I do manufacturing engineering, so I was always drawn to Prost's steady, somewhat clinical, style of racing. Y'know ... the professor.
But I have a real soft spot for most of the greats of the era, like Jody Scheckter, Michele Alboreto, Keke Rosberg, Gilles Villenueve, Riccardo Patrese, etc.
That was such a classic time for F1, and every race win was available to any of the 10 front-runners. For quite a while now it's been a constructors race.
Back then, they had to clutch to shift gears, and they also had to clutch off the start, instead of a computer control, like now, that gives them max acceleration without spinning the wheels.
Oh well, enuff of the old days; time moves on and so must we. C'est la vie ...
Anyway, sir, you also have a friend in me.

Ciao,

Dave

@Beau Geste
Yes. Like it was the time of true passion in F1 racing.
I feel that passion in all of my endeavours. Like the way an Aglianico wine from Campania, will impart the flavours of the earth from wence it came.
I always love that deep, earthy, passion that's associated with these things. I guess that's why I'm drawn towards vintage audio gear.
Ciao.

Dave

Thanks for the welcome.
I made that drive the other morning in reverse. But it only took 2-1/2 hours. The traffic is really not that bad...... as long as you drive before 5:00am and after 8:00pm......unless you have to deal with the 405, 5, or 101.

Thanks for the welcome.

My drive was @round Rush Hour and might even have been @ a "regular" Friday afternoon, the worst kind other than "holiday Friday" traffic. It was also I-10 all the way, which has a couple of HOV lanes I was unable to use legally, and there it is. I have quite a few bad memories of traffic @ 101, particularly a stretch from Ventura to SB on several occasions.

Back
Top Bottom