A Northern Michigan Introduction

I want to be careful and not use the phrase "big band" which may be a turn off for a lot of people. Loads of good things have happened after Maynard Ferguson and Buddy Rich. Fortunately the art form of the big band appears to be still alive.

Tim Davies The Expensive Train Set which was recorded on two continents
Chuck Owen Whispers on the Wind
Anything by Snarky Puppy
Anything by Maria Schneider
Matrix
Phronesis
Big Phat Band
Le Bouef Brothers
Pat Metheny
Anything by the Cincinnati group Blue Whisp Big Band

Lately I have been trolling the North Texas 1 o'clock Jazz band. Nothing like vinyl with good engineering and over the top musicianship.

For new modern classical:
Max Ritcher Vivaldi, the Four Seasons recomposed
Hans Zimmer
Johann Johannsson (died way too young)
Nils Frahm

Bottom line.... Seems like a lot of audiophiles are living in the past, reliving their memories. Nothing wrong with that, but there is really good stuff out there that is very good and that needs our support.

What new and interesting tunes are you guys listening too?

The Michigan Up North Guy

Cool, looks like I have some new stuff to check out, listening to Tim Davies Big Band's ~ The Expensive Train Set right now.

You might want to have a listen to Brian Carpenter's ~ Ghost Train Orchestra which I think would fit on your list.

Another couple of favorites in that vein is the Dave Holland Big Band ~ What Goes Around &
Ginger Baker & The DJQ2O ~ Coward of the County.

There are both Jazz and Classical playlists going in the Music Forums.

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/todays-jazz-playlist.58686/

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BTW, you have to love TIDAL when you are a new music junkie.

Screen Shot 2018-06-23 at 7.03.27 AM.png

Last edited:
I am from Ohio and moved up to Northern Michigan when I found out what the sky, air and lake(s) are really supposed to look like!!! When I was a kid, I spent my summer at Interlochen which was my first introduction to Northern Michigan. I worked up in Munising for the July 4th weekend two years ago. For some reason I thought it would be quiet, boy was I wrong. I am still trying to pronounce "Munising" correctly.
I lived in Munising during the 64-65 school year and went to Mather High for my junior year under the "Pedro Pan" program. I lived in a foster home with a wonderful lady, Mrs. Justina Goss, at W. Onota St. and while there I bought my first "transistor radio", an AM 8 transistor Channel Master, which was the "in" thing at the time. That is how it all started. I still have the radio buried in a closet behind tons of other junk. Last time I checked it was still working, but hell, that was 15 or 20 years ago. I remember going every week to the "Youth Center" in the basement of the police station, and boy, do I have nice memories of those times.

Welcome aboard, i'm your neighbor to the south ... must say you have some beautiful country up there, last year we took a trip all the way up through the UP to Munising on Lake Superior, toured pictured rocks, ate pasties, seen Soo Locks, enjoyed smoked whitefish and much more .. the bridge was a sight to see as well, here is a pic i took from Bridge View Park
IMG_2646.JPG

Back
Top Bottom