A Pair of Nice Revox Decks

James Wright

I'm just getting started on this forum, but I've already seen some helpful ideas regarding the Revox R2R decks. I have been using these decks since 1995 when my old Teac 4010s gave up the ghost. I will be upgrading these decks when it doesn't get in the way of my fishing outings. You will notice the dedicated dbx units under each deck that I use for most recording from digital sources like CD and MiniDisc.

I saw a helpful post on this forum for a solution to and end of tape sensor problem that I will try soon. These are not my first Revox decks. I had a G-36 4 track back in the late 60s that did well for its age.
RevoxA-77dbx224.jpg RevoxB-77dbx228.jpg

Welcome!

Very cool. I never see, or have ever found, anything Revox. Very nice!

Welcome!

Very cool. I never see, or have ever found, anything Revox. Very nice!
Thanks for the welcome.

The Revox decks were made in Germany and Switzerland by Willi Studer Co. They specialized in studio high end recorders. Radio stations here in the US had many of them as well. The Revox line was aimed at audiophiles and semi-pro users. They are robust and capable decks that have lasted. They are more common in Europe where they were made, but no new ones have been made since 1998. They also made Amps, Tuners, Cassette decks, Linear Turntables, Speakers that sell for crazy prices these days.

Nice machines. The Mk III is getting to where it needs a lot of work. Hope you have time to do that as they are nice machines. I always wanted one but before I bought a big reel machine I started working for a store that sold Tandberg...my choice was made. A 10X with Revox trumpeted NAB adapters. We both have rejuvenation projects for our machines. Recently picked up, recapped and had professionally adjusted a Crown SC-724 to keep the reels turning while the 10X and my parts unit (should work with a new belt) 10XD are brought back to original performance levels. Lots of old caps in all these machines except the Crown, they are all new. A note on the Teac NAB, I got a set when I bought an A-3300SX (swapped for the 10XD) and I disassembled them, cleaned and a bit of lubriplate and they are butter smooth, now. Still prefer the trumpets but I gotta have something on the machines.

Blue Shadow,
I'm a retired Electrical and Mechanical Engineer, so I'm up to the task of recapping my Revox decks, as long as it doesn't cut into my fishing outings. Both Revox decks work perfect, so there is not as much incentive to upgrade them right now. It may be next winter's project.

I had a Tandberg 64 when I was in the Navy in the 60s. After I got a pair of Teac 4010s decks, I sold the Tandberg to a friend. The Crown decks were pricey then and a bit heavy to move around all the time, but I still liked those brutes. I also had a B & O Dynaco Beocord 2000 that wasn't too bad either. What is the big receiver in your avatar?

That is a Luxman T-110 tuner topping the C-1000 preamp.

My brother started with a Tandberg 64x. I sure know what you mean about the Crown transport equipment being on the heavy side. The pro set up of mine was done by shipping the electronics and head block out for the work. He mounted them on his transport of choice and did the adjustments after a quick lapping of the slightly worn heads.

Welcome James. I'm new to open reel tape, and learning as quickly as I can. I have 2 Revox B77 machines, and 2 Pioneer Rt-707 machines. I just got the Revox decks, and one needs some reconditioning for sure.

Onebean

It would be nice to have a good 4 track deck to add to my 2 2track Revox decks. I have always liked the Pioneer RT-707 or Rt-909. Can you post pictures of your tape decks?

Sure, I just cleaned this one up this weekend. It was pretty dirty when I got it, but looks good now. Here's the link to the thread.

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index....ition-of-pioneer-rt-707.814735/#post-11437541

I have another one in service now, and it sounds pretty darn good.

IMG_0295.JPG

Both of my Revox decks are not in use. I have a pinch roll out for rebuild for one, and the other one is covered in what I can only assume is tar from a heavy smoker. The case and faceplate were very bad. I have all the faceplate components cleaned up, and the case is better but not done yet. Surprisingly the inside isn't that bad. I think it will need a full recap which I might attempt on my own. Time will tell.

These are not my first Revox decks. I had a G-36 4 track back in the late 60s that did well for its age.

The G36 (and F36) can STILL stand up proudly even today, if they are well serviced. The E36 not so much, its record pre-amp was partially transistorised.

Well the Pioneer 4 tracks were not in the cards for now. I found a Hospice Thrift Store Akai GX-230D that I just finished servicing and doing a few minor repairs. It will do all my 4 track duties very nicely I think. I had a pair of Maxell metal reels that really dress up this little deck.Akai GX-230D tape deck.jpg

This Rocktron 120A Series One - Encode/Decode Noise reduction unit will do 30 db of noise reduction along with 10db headroom expansion similar to a dbx Type II unit. It does this without the well known dbx artifacts.
Rocktron 120A.jpg

Back
Top Bottom