A Pigs Participation Hangs In The Balance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cool... Sorta know what you mean. I aint the tallest of human beings
I went hunting with my room mate at the time, he had a very nice new mid 90s Bronco. Well after setting up camp in the wilderness off a dirt road, we took both cars in deeper and deeper. Him and his friend in the Bronco and me in my Jeep. After a bit they had to park the Bronco and jump in my CJ,(no back seat) I kept on going up these logging roads and making 180 degree switch back turns. The logging companies would pile logs and dirt over the roads as to block all vehicle access, very high steep mounds. Mostly anything will bottom out at the top of them. Well my room mate after seeing nothing but sky and then nothing but ground and hanging onto anything that was secure in the CJ so he wasn't dumped out the back had a different opinion than he had before. He said, Dan I now know why you bought this thing, it will go anywhere.

After going far enough where most can't get a vehicle and getting over a few humps in the road we had beautiful dirt roads all over the mountain top, and it was all our owe to use.

When visitors arrive with the same demeanor and see it they may take it as an invitation to make themselves at home.
If they can't express their opinions and experiences as anything other than established fact and they have no inquisitive traits I don't think they're really having much fun here.
Don't feed the Coyotes.

Rude folks? In our AudioKarma??

As is said in the Beatles song ...

"In their eyes there’s something lacking,
What they need’s a damn good whacking..."

no valid reason this happy community need be distracted by rude and abrasive personalities

Yet it frequently happens in every social media forum, and media in general, business, politics, sports, you name it. So we can ban such behavior so none of us get our feelings hurt or learn to live with it just like we have done since the dawn of mankind.

Mr Pig, Hope you decide to stay. I have enjoyed your posts. If you leave your knowledge will be missed. I've had to deal with some of them also. Posted in support for the OP when all this one dude could do nothing but put the OP down. I work for a electronics company as a tech. It is what keeps my enthusiasm going We are all here because of our "love" of audio. I have learned a lot here, and try to pass it on to new members where possible. Your other work just expands your knowledge and experience to be passed on.

Yet it frequently happens in every social media forum, and media in general, business, politics, sports, you name it. So we can ban such behavior so none of us get our feelings hurt or learn to live with it just like we have done since the dawn of mankind.
There's less here because most are smarter than the average bear.
So don't feed the dumb bears.

giphy.gif

I had no idea Mr. Pig was a reviewer until this thread.
Now everyone that reads the first post knows.
Is that good or bad?

Wow.

Mr Pig was not trying to solicit readership for his reviews. I can see that accusation coming. He was very discreet about it, someone else brought it to our attention.

Frankly I find using the ignore feature rather childish. Are people so thin skinned they can't deal with something or someone they don't like?

Clearly they can't. Some want some sanitized, curated discussion, where only their 'friends' participate and anyone with a dissenting opinion or evidence to the contrary, results in running to the teacher or saying 'I'm not talking to you'. Schoolyard stuff.

I've never used the 'ignore' function, but then I've never had anything I'd consider really insulting leveled at me since the forum started in 2002. There's 250,000+ members now on this site, back then there were about 350. I don't even think there was an ignore function back then.

Many reports are made by thin skinned members who over react to a post. That being said the report button is your friend to stem the tide of offensive posts, use it wisely. (posted as a mod)

Never reported anyone or any post as far as I can remember. I figure we are all grown men (and women) and we can decide whether to engage, debate, or walk away from any discussion. Nothing here is earth-shatteringly important- it's only old (or new) HiFi gear at the end of the day.

I remember the thread where Pig threw a trotter. I participated in it, with a fair question that was pertinent to the thread and which was never answered:

mr pig.JPG

His posts are in my opinion, generally entertaining, heavy on subjective content and light on technical facts, but that is part of the hobby, the 'reviewing industry', and the way most people enjoy their gear. All part of the mix on AK.

Whether Pig stays or goes should be a private choice, not one that is played out in a virtual popularity contest soliciting validation from the membership cohort. It just reeks of blatant attention-seeking.

Last edited:
Clearly they can't. Some want some sanitized, curated discussion, where only their 'friends' participate and anyone with a dissenting opinion or evidence to the contrary, results in running to the teacher or saying 'I'm not talking to you'. Schoolyard stuff.

I've never used the 'ignore' function, but then I've never had anything I'd consider really insulting leveled at me since the forum started in 2002. There's 250,000+ members now on this site, back then there were about 350. I don't even think there was an ignore function back then.

Never reported anyone or any post as far as I can remember. I figure we are all grown men (and women) and we can decide whether to engage, debate, or walk away from any discussion. Nothing here is earth-shatteringly important- it's only old (or new) HiFi gear at the end of the day.

I remember the thread where Pig threw a trotter. I participated in it, with a fair question that was pertinent to the thread and which was never answered:

View attachment 1276666

His posts are in my opinion, generally entertaining, heavy on subjective content and light on technical facts, but that is part of the hobby, the 'reviewing industry', and the way most people enjoy their gear. All part of the mix on AK.

Whether Pig stays or goes should be a private choice, not one that is played out in a virtual popularity contest soliciting validation from the membership cohort. It just reeks of blatant attention-seeking.

This is as good a post as any to respond to a question or two that is raised in this thread.

First of all this post goes beyond the idea of if enough people say to stay I will stay. No one has to talk me into that or dissuade it. Of course its my decision, and the purpose of the thread is to provide some context of why I took a sabbatical, and my perspective. I have had enough friends who email me to tell me this or that, and I know their opinions both good and bad. I am under no illusion everyone should like me, or that they do. I also have no problem with disagreement, and people telling of contrary experiences. If there is one thing I have learned is that every room is different, each of us have different expectations of what we like to hear, that each person puts a different level of trust into measurements, have a different level of understanding on what can be extrapolated form a specific set of measurements, and that each system functions differently in a listening environment, that changing one piece in a whole chain can add to or detract from a system....some times in a significant way.

It certainly is true that I do not read scope traces and uses distortion analyzers for my evaluation of gear. But I also believe that experiential evaluation has value, especially if you take notes and record experiences in order to retain a memory. Yes I know of the studies that say people cannot remember an audio passage or sound for more than a short period, and personally I have my doubts about this. Yes I think you can confuse a person in a listening session, yes you can have people who do not care about listening, and that each of can have a range of hearing acuity. If aural memory was indeed that short, I doubt we would be discerning a creature as we are. Now as far as the idea that a person has to have strong technical skills to understand audio, I am skeptical of that also. Now I surely do believe that having a solid grounding in electrical theory is valuable, and I appreciate those who do. But the extrapolation of knowing how does not mean you cannot recognize different...but rather it becomes a question of why. I have access to enough people to explain the why at a level I can understand it that I am comfortable with that. Should I learn more theory? Probably, but I do not have the time and its really not something that grabs me. Although I admit to having a great time building an Elekit for a review. A friend of mine taught me how to solder, and tutored me through the process.

@restorer-john I am not sure if I saw your question at that time. The simple answer is that no I receive no financial compensation to write for any manufacturer. Now I do receive a very small per article payment that doesn't buy a good dinner and bottle of wine at a restaurant. I have the ability to make a purchase at accommodation pricing, that is available to anyone in the writing realm, which incidentally is generally known by hobbyists. I am accorded nothing no one else in my position is. Actually I dont feel that comfortable sharing this information because it really is no one's business. But this has been where I hung my audio hat for a lot of years, and I am going to extend a bit of trust. If this comes back to bite me, then I really am done here.

Mister Pig

Last edited:
If one has thin skin then these type of sites are not for you. Why not just post a poll if you want a popularity contest? That is what this thread sounds like to me. Just my honest opinion.

I kinda agree with this...
but if you want votes Mister ( @Mister Pig ) I also enjoy your sense of humor and the personification perspectives.
As for your Audio opinions, yours are just another groove in a record here at AK. Not to be trite or rude, but I think all here should consider what AK is ; opinion laced opinion with opinion filling and opinion icing... with your choice of fact sprinkles.
Take it with a grain of salt, that's how most pork is prepared. Don't get so fried about other members, and pull your miss piggy panties up! :whip::hug:

Late to the party, but I'll simply state this - I've butted heads with more than a few AK'ers over my 14 years here, and yet.....I'm still here.

I've also argued with my wife, and nearly came to blows with my best friends. It's life. It happens.

Do what you feel lead to do, sir, but I for one enjoy your very informed opinion, especially where turntables are concerned.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom