A Question about Japanese noodle bowls

transmaster

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I am watching a very entertaining Japanese TV show "Samurai Gourmet" on Netflix. It is about a newly retired company man who is traveling around Japan seeking out small eateries. He imagines he is a traveling Ronin Samurai.

The Question:
In Episode 2 it's theme is noodles. At the end of this episode his daughter makes a bowl of noodles in the bowl she opens a packet of a brown syrup over which she pours hot water to make the soup the noodles are placed in, this syrup looked like oyster sauce, or a thick soysauce. What is is? I can't read Japanese. I have an idea what the Dashi base was but not sure, any ideas I would like to get some to try.

I have been eating the noodle dishes of this region since I was a little boy. Except for the ones out of Taiwan that taste like grass clippings I love them all.

Last edited:
Seems kinda dumb trying to make a bowl out of noodles ... what happens if you get it wet?

** Just peeked at the label on some Simply Asia noodles - I imagine they're all about the same ...

- sugar
- soy sauce
- rice vinegar
- sesame oil
- rice wine
- red wine

... and various secret herbs and spices that they could tell us but then they'd have to kill us ...

Last edited:
No, The man's daughter asked him he wanted instant ramen noodles and he had a choice between a miso, or a Soy flavored one and he picked the soy flavored one. Subtitles can be interesting at times.

"bowel of noodles" Dude, I just lost my appetite!

I don’t have Netflix, otherwise I’d be able to tell you. I love ramen.

My dis
"bowel of noodles" Dude, I just lost my appetite!

I don’t have Netflix, otherwise I’d be able to tell you. I love ramen.
My dyslexia and the crappy anticipatory type ahead on this iPhone are a constant irritation. :mad: Thought I corrected all of the bowel bowls.

I have 3 cases of my favorite Ramen noodle brand. Paldo, Dosirac Noodle Soup from South Korea coming today. Beef flavor. They also have Pork, Chicken, Shrimp, and Kim Chee flavors I love them all. Been eating them since the 1990's.

648436100118-2.jpg

Last edited:
Once in awhile I get a craving for the Top Ramen type instant ramen. I'm fortunate to be able to eat fresh, locally made ramen. I've been eating ramen since the 60s.

Once in awhile I get a craving for the Top Ramen type instant ramen. I'm fortunate to be able to eat fresh, locally made ramen. I've been eating ramen since the 60s.

In my case I have been eating "Chinese" noodles since the late 1950's. A Navy brat. My the parents frequently went to Chinese restaurants because it was cheap, and I always ordered Chinese Noodles, the bowls seemed almost as big as I was at the time.

In my case I have been eating "Chinese" noodles since the late 1950's. A Navy brat. My the parents frequently went to Chinese restaurants because it was cheap, and I always ordered Chinese Noodles, the bowls seemed almost as big as I was at the time.
I'm a Air Force brat. I'm surrounded by every kind of noodles imaginable.

I just came back from a Mexico trip yesterday. Had a food poisoning for the first time in my life. Pretty much ruined the entire trip. Worst case of nausea for three days emergency room visit but nothing helped. Came home and had one of this. Took care of my problem. Anything hotter would've created other problems probably...
I use instant ramen as medicine.

2436-300.jpg

Back
Top Bottom