A review of the Audio Technica AT95E cartridge (longish).

catman

Addicted Member
The recent acquisition of my Kenwood turntable which came with this cartridge has forced me to re-evaluate the AT95E over an earlier evaluation that probably wasn't long enough in retrospect! After acquiring a new elliptical stylus for the AT95E I decided to conduct a more extensive technical and listening evaluation. I've learned a few new interesting things as well that confirm that every turntable/ tonearm/ cartridge combination is 'unique' in various ways. In my earlier evaluation of the AT95E it was tested on my the tonearm of my old PYE Diotran TA5A turntable, a turntable with no pretensions to 'high end', but a basically good quality turntable, and in fact my Ortofon Super OM's, 2M Red and even my Shure M97xE's have been used on that tonearm with very good results, yet the AT95E was only 'so so' especially in terms of tracking of warps even at the recommended tracking weight of 2 grams.

Yet when tested on the Kenwood unit that it was originally mated with, the tracking ability with warped records was excellent at the recommended tracking weight and even at reduced tracking weight down to 1 gram! So why was it only mediocre with one turntable/ tonearm combination and beyond reproach on another? Well I'm not really sure to be honest. Perhaps tonearm cartridge resonance issues, precise overhang adjustment and possibly most likely, vertical tracking angle or VTA. None of my turntables have allowed provision for adjustment of VTA except by the addition of shims etc. I'm starting to think that this parameter is much more important than I had previously thought. It has certainly got me thinking!

Sonically the AT95E is actually a pretty good cartridge with an even frequency response with good extension at both ends. This is where my audio spectrum analyser was very useful at confirming what my ears have told me through listening, and one thing is for sure, this cartridge likes the so called 'standard' input impedance of 47 k. Its upper frequency response is actually much better than the Shure M97xE at 47 k in this respect where spectrum analysis definitely shows an upper treble roll off! In the case of the M97xE, this treble roll off is essentially eliminated by increasing the phono preamp input impedance somewhat (I use 62 k). However the AT95E seems very well matched at 47 k and it doesn't seem overly fussy with regard to input shunt capacitance.

The output level is judged to be just noticeably lower than the Shure M97xE, which in itself is slightly low output, but in practical terms this isn't a problem as the simple one opamp test phono preamp used in this evaluation http://www.redcircuits.com/Page10.htm the AT95E was able to easily deliver enough equalised output level to drive a following line preamp and power amp into clipping when the volume was raised up loud! Tested on a wide variety of recorded material produced very satisfying and high quality sound with a surprisingly wide and stable stereo image, and no inner groove distortion issues were noted. Compared to other higher priced cartridges, in absolute terms the AT95E lacks only the last ultimate degree of resolution and detail provided by a more exotic stylus profile which on the majority of even high quality systems is probably unnoticed!.

I don't know how long the AT95E has been manufactured for, but its excellent reputation over many years is very justified and well deserved. It's a top little cartridge. Let's hope it goes on being available for many years to come. I highly recommend it! Regards, Felix aka catman.

Last edited:
Upgrade to the hyper-elliptical stylus (ATN95HE) and you'll be more impressed. I'd really like to hear one of these 95's equipped with a Shibata (ATN95SA). I agree with your assessment though, the sound (for the price) is amazing. I have had mine (it's now on standby duties) mated with a Technics SL-1360 and it tracked like a gem and had a very full, rich sound. It's very hard to beat for the price.

Yes, a very nice review Felix.

Just curious if you can tell if the stylus is bonded or mounted nude? Also would you say the AT95E is more present sounding than your Shure M97xE, how would you compare the audible differences.

I would have to agree Felix. Unless you have significant gear downstream, a AT95E/AT120E will do just fine. They do have a signature sound and depending on ones system, may not be ideal. I think you can still find a AT95E around for $50.

A typically outstanding review from Felix; always a pleasure to read.

Is it possible that the cart/tonearm/turntable mismatch has anything to do with compliance? I think it was Howard that pointed out that the AT95e and AT95he are medium compliance. That said the AT95he sounds amazing on my very low mass PL-9 tonearm.

I suspect the tracking issues have to do with the physics of moment of inertia and lever acceleration and on the cartridge per se. That little suspension has to accelerate a fairly high mass even with tracking weight set low. It's that mass and the gimbal bearing friction that makes for tracking errors IMHO. That's why I always suggest lightest headshells and aluminum mounting hardware. Lower the mass on the long and and move the counterweight in as close as you can while maintaining balance and tracking errors go down :)

Nice review, and yes, it's keeper even with just the e stylus :)

GOOD REVIEW FELIX!

I use the AT95E carts on my tables and have never looked back. Got my first one back in 1996.

Good cart for the money!:D

G'day all, many thanks for the feedback which is much appreciated. Well this morning I trotted out one of my Shure M97xE's and did some comparisons with the AT95E, both mounted on the Kenwood KD-1500 turntable.

Both cartridges were set up with the same overhang using the AT95E as reference and the tracking weight was 2 grams for the AT95E and 1.35 grams for the M97xE and the dynamic stabiliser was not used for this test. The record track used was The Beatles 'Strawberry Fields Forever', track one on The Beatles 1967-1970 album (number one album of a two record set). That record is also somewhat warped.

Speaking of warps, both cartridges played fine with with absolutely no issues. Sonically (at 47 k and about 200 picofarads), very little difference was noted except that the AT95E, according to the spectrum analyser display had clearly better treble in the 16 KHz range than the M97xE, but the M97xE had more apparent bass in the 30 to 60 Hz range which probably accounts for the often quoted M97xE 'warmth'. Output level wise, there was almost no difference.

'Watching' the stylus in the groove, and even with the Shure's dynamic stabiliser not in use, the M97xE 'looked' more settled and stable, whereas the AT95E looked a little 'wobbly and shaky' (not very scientific, I know).

In the end there wasn't that much of a sonic difference with the only real difference noted was a somewhat 'warmer' sound from the M97xE, probably due to the increased output in the 30 to 60 Hz range combined with the slight upper treble roll off. All these things combined would probably give the M97xE a 'smoother' and a 'non fatiguing' sound for which it is 'renowned'. It the end, I guess it all comes down the listener preferences and equipment synergy. Regards, Felix aka catman.

Update: Well I guess I've done these exact same tests many times before but once again this morning I substituted my DIY phono stage set at 62 k and ran all tests again and the results were pretty well as expected, the AT95E sounded almost screechingly bright at 62 k, but the M97xE opened right up and sounds fantastic at 62 k, clean, extended, airy and dynamic. So my ultimate recommendation goes like this, if you're stuck at 47 k, get an AT95E, but if you're able to tweak your phono input input resistance above 47 k, the M97xE (with the standard stylus) is fantastic.

Last edited:
I agree whole heatedly with the "Update". If you are stuck with 47K, the AT95 is a winner in the budget conscious class. If you can tweak the phono stage, the M97Xe is a fine, fine cartridge for the money.

Felix: Afaik, the AT95E was introduced some 30 years ago.

CS: Yup, it's a bonded one - i.e. needle quality is very comparable with the AT71E(LC).

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Some notes: Very fine cartridge for cheap. Very demanding of setup attention. Needs over 40 hours of breaking in, listeners who do will be rewarded. Underrated and tracks well, excels at rock and roll and R&B records, less ideal for classical music with complex orchestras. I have enjoyed my 2 examples within their limits. :tresbon:

Some notes: Very fine cartridge for cheap. Very demanding of setup attention. Needs over 40 hours of breaking in, listeners who do will be rewarded. Underrated and tracks well, excels at rock and roll and R&B records, less ideal for classical music with complex orchestras. I have enjoyed my 2 examples within their limits. :tresbon:

Have to try it out on some R&B records in the next few days, thanks for the tip!:thmbsp:

Needs over 40 hours of breaking in

every time i change a stylus on mine i find break in time considerably less..around the 10 hour mark at normal room temperature gives a crisp ,spacious and detailed presentation...
although i do use a medium mass arm...
on a lightweight arm break in might be longer though...

its slightly more expensive sibling the at110e.. now that does take some considerable break in to tame the treble ..but the wait is worth it..

i think its safer to used well played non valubale lp's for the initial few hours until the diamond gets a bit of groove polish... budget cartridges seldom have highly polished contact surfaces when new so might sound a bit 'sharp'..probably because they are 'sharp'... not always a good thing on mint vinyl..

So my ultimate recommendation goes like this, if you're stuck at 47 k, get an AT95E, but if you're able to tweak your phono input input resistance above 47 k, the M97xE (with the standard stylus) is fantastic.

This is great info. Thanks!

Thanks for the replies and Felix you have the beginnings of a good low cost cartridge shootout. If the Hyper Elliptical or Shibata stylus cures the "...less ideal for classical music with complex orchestras" mentioned by Kent, I'd be tempted to buy one myself.

Before everyone gets carried away let me bring things back to reality.

The AT95 is an OK cheap cartridge but does have limitations, not least of which is its performance on less than perfect vinyl. To put it simply, the AT 95 can't cut it, producing instead the kind of blurred sound typical of LPs that have seen too many parties.

I compared it with an OM10 and an AT120E, both of which managed to extract greater detail, which you would expect, but also rendered LPs unplayable with the AT95 easily listenable. The AT95 isn't fond of tracking those slightly worn tracks, either.

Rather than spending money on different styli, which may provide a solution but at a price, I'd suggest going for the AT120E instead. It is much, much better than the AT95E.

However, do bear in mind I was testing on a Pro-ject debut 3, Technics SL1500 and a CJ Walker with a rewired tonearm. I sold the Pro-ject with the AT95E, and I have to say that, given the budget nature of the deck, the AT95 sounded much better there than it had with the other two decks.

Back
Top Bottom