A Review of the Dayton B652 AIR speaker

With the home modified tweeters it was obvious because the leads are colored and you can see the swap. I guess a call to Dayton might give you a serial number point for the changed units, if indeed they DID make the change!

The tweets can be removed from the front but is there enough slack in the leads to get a good view of how they're wired?

The tweets can be removed from the front but is there enough slack in the leads to get a good view of how they're wired?

Couldn't get mine out from the front, beat the crap out of them; glued or such and didn't want to damage them.

This is kinda funny.
I ordered the B652 airs about 4 months ago because the reviews were great, and how can you beat $50???
I have them on my desk in a 2 foot trianglization. My desk is a large heavy old world work of art.
I absolutely love the sound of these!
The highs are sometimes a bit hot, but not always. The bass is just fine, and the midrange kicks butt.
What's funny to me is that among this group there appears to be people who like them as much as I do.

The sad part, is that I prefer to sit and listen to these at my desk, rather than on the sofa in front of my Dahlquist 8's.

I'd love to find a bigger floor sized speaker with about the same sound profile, with more power handling, and a tad more bass.

This is kinda funny.
I ordered the B652 airs about 4 months ago because the reviews were great, and how can you beat $50???
I have them on my desk in a 2 foot trianglization. My desk is a large heavy old world work of art.
I absolutely love the sound of these!
The highs are sometimes a bit hot, but not always. The bass is just fine, and the midrange kicks butt.
What's funny to me is that among this group there appears to be people who like them as much as I do.

The sad part, is that I prefer to sit and listen to these at my desk, rather than on the sofa in front of my Dahlquist 8's.

I'd love to find a bigger floor sized speaker with about the same sound profile, with more power handling, and a tad more bass.

Ask and you'll receive! https://www.amazon.com/Dayton-Audio-T652-AIR-Speaker-Tweeter/dp/B07777GY34

The T652 Air speakers are now available at $140 a pair. Mini tower design at 30” high, dual 6.5” woofers and that wonderful AMT tweeter. Yum!

The T652 Air speakers are now available at $140 a pair. Mini tower design at 30” high, dual 6.5” woofers and that wonderful AMT tweeter. Yum!

I just got a pair in yesterday.
I put them in my shop.
My first impression is that they're awfully shrill.
It's like they crossed them much differently than the B652 airs.
My take is that they put the bottom speaker way low, operating at a frequency below its capabilities, and put the upper speaker closer to the tweeter frequencies., leaving out that mid punch that i enjoy so much with the B model.
My first reaction was to drape a terry shop towel over the top to cover the tweeter, to keep my ears from bleeding.

They might just be better for a home theater setup rather than a stereo.
I might open them up to see what's what, and look as well to see if they wired the AMT's backwards like I heard they did with some of the B's.
I'm not as happy with them as I thought I would be.

BBQ, the AMT's were wired correctly on the B's, it just the fact that their simple single phase x-over let them mute themselves out with the woofer at around 2000hz. I reversed the polarity on mine personally. Let us know if the x-over in those T's is a tad more complicated (single cap) than the B's. Thanks for writing on these, but sad to hear they're not up to snuff.

BBQ, the AMT's were wired correctly on the B's, it just the fact that their simple single phase x-over let them mute themselves out with the woofer at around 2000hz. I reversed the polarity on mine personally. Let us know if the x-over in those T's is a tad more complicated (single cap) than the B's. Thanks for writing on these, but sad to hear they're not up to snuff.
I'll get around to having a peek inside these sometime soon.
I'm guessing, for my own tastes, that if the speakers are crossed totally different than the B's, I might just emulate the B's on some or all of the woofers.
Not sure, but I might also block the ports. Mice ya know...
If they sound bad with the ports blocked off, I'll just screen them.

I'll get around to having a peek inside these sometime soon.
I'm guessing, for my own tastes, that if the speakers are crossed totally different than the B's, I might just emulate the B's on some or all of the woofers.
Not sure, but I might also block the ports. Mice ya know...
If they sound bad with the ports blocked off, I'll just screen them.

Blocking the ports will most likely tighten up the bass for the most part.

BBQJoe,

How are those T652 Airs working for you now? Has the shrillness softened up? Here is my current lashup:

Living Room
KEF Q300's in Credenza with bass reflex ports bunged up (I am back to unbunged ports)
Yamaha R-N402 MusicCast receiver

Study
Dayton B652 Airs or Pioneer BS-22-LR
Yamaha AS500 Integrated amplifier
Assorted tuners and Blue Tooth receiver

Basement treadmill music system
Radio Shack X77 speakers
Yamaha RS201 receiver

My lashup keeps changing over time, but this is the current setup. My mobility has weakened even further and I really
need to use my living room recliner. My office chair in the study gets uncomfortable over time. The basement treadmill is only for my wife to use
because I cannot use it any longer.

Last edited:
BBQJoe,

How are those T652 Airs working for you now? Has the shrillness softened up?
Maybe a little, but not much. I ended up putting 1 strip of masking tape over the tweeters to tame them down.
They've been moved to the shop, which they are ok for.
I'm running them off my D amp build, and also paired a refoamed set of Bose 301's with them.
It's no audiophile setup for sure, but it's good enough for what it is.
I still like the B652's better.

Thanks for asking.
Joe

Sorry about the T652's, Joe, I was really hoping they would be great. Perhaps Dayton Audio can work on the design a bit and come up with a winner. I have the B652 Airs in my study (Listening to them right now) and their clarity is amazing.

I bought a pair of these for my office a few weeks ago because someone in another thread recommended them to someone else and it sounded like they would work fir my application. I have them paired with a 20woc TPA 3118 amp.

They sound better than they should based on where I had to set them up (behind me, one on a table, one on the bookshelf). The only problem is that I have to keep them pretty quiet to keep from disturbing people out in the reading room. The low end improves a lot when I turn it up a bit, but that’s a little too loud for most days. I’m trying to decide if I should get a sub or bring them home for my home office and get something smaller that I can push more at a lower volume.

If you want more bass, then I think the best way would be to go would be a sub-woofer. I have used a sub with my Polk Monitor 30's and it worked very nicely. If you don't have a subwoofer out on your amplifier, get the sub with speaker in and out connections. Hook the amp to the sub, then continue to the speakers. Another way is to use the speaker A-B. Speakers on A, sub on B use A+B. Right now my B652 Airs are working in my study without a sub and I don't miss the deep bass.

I got my kid a pair of the b652's and hooked them up to a Hitachi (!) integrated amp from the 80's with an excellent phono section. Was immediately impressed with the speakers. Since then the Hitachi has died and been replaced with a Onkyo receiver (new), the speakers are even sounding better.... amazing deal from PE.

I cannot think of a better deal than the B652’s coupled to a Yamaha R-S202 with Bluetooth or the Sherwood stereo receiver with Bluetooth (forget the number, but it also has a phono input). Both of these receivers are rated at 8 ohms, but I have had no problems with the Yamaha R-S201 ( same amp section as the 202) driving the B652 Airs or the Pioneer SP BS22 LR speakers which are 6 Ohms. I’m sure the Sherwood would do fine also.

We are talking about less than $200 total here for a decent low cost system.

Back
Top Bottom