A-S801 versus A-S1100

Sndsrtaud

1. I have a CA800 which I initially bought way back in 1977. A lot has come and gone in the past 40 years, but this one always drew me back. It's a great amp, but I'm looking for something a bit more powerful. Yamaha's newer stuff seems to be of the quality they offered back in the day. In looking at the 801 and the 1100, both have about the same power, the 801 having the digital inputs and is built like a tank too. But I'd be interested in hearing whether the 1100 commands a price 2.5x the 801 and why.

Comments welcome. Thanks.

Based on what I've read about the A-S1100/2100, I'd say it's worth the price difference. As for sound quality, the 1100 is probably better than the 801, but this is where the law of diminishing returns comes to play.
If money is an issue go with the 801. It will sound great and has a lot of versatility with the digital inputs. The 1100 would require outboard digital if you were headed in that direction.
If money weren't an issue I'd go for the 1100 and then supplement with outboard gear. Personally, I'd save a little longer and get the 2100.:D Just my 2 cents.

both have about the same power

Hi, take the Yamaha specifications with a grain of salt, they make absolutely no sense and have no consistency at all. I know on paper the 801, 1100 and 2100 look similar power wise but in reality l bet there is significant differences in sound, weight and build quality. I have no first hand experience with any of these models but l would have to agree with SuperLead100, if you have the money the 1100 plus an outboard DAC would be my choice of the two, esp as a true upgrade from your CA-800.

BTW, there has been a comparison between a Yamaha CA-2010 and a Yamaha A-S2000/2100 and the 2010 compared quiet favourably which l thought was very interesting.

I have owned both the A-S801 and the A-S1100. It depends what you are looking for, an easy all in one solution for a good value (801) or more of a long term investment in quality audio gear (1100). The 801 and the 1100 sound similar on the surface but the more you listen the more the difference becomes apparent and it's up to your ears to judge if the difference is worth the price, to me it was very much worth the price, the A-S1100 is just in another class from the A-S801.

I know its been two years now but this might be of interest to someone who is looking for an A S1100. I like the sound quality and soundstage that the AS1100 gives (got used last May 2018). I pair this with a Klipsch RF62ii and gives me bass well enough for my needs (2 Ch) it is warm sounding and the horn does not sound overly bright. I used to have an AS501 and when I got the AS1100 and get to compare the sounds, I was floored with the quality of the AS1100's bass, it is much tighter and you can really feel the thump it delivers and the mids are great. I did tried the RN-803 out of curiosity and because its got network capability, but returned it after a week when i got the chance on an AS1100. From the price standpoint I considered the long term ownership but I did get the AS501 for "only" $150 (CAD) I regret that I sold it a good performer as well. Could have set it up in the bedroom though i have a CR440. I never had a tube amp so I cannot tell how it holds against tube amps. This amp is a performer when i got it i ran it for 48hrs straight in my basement (connected to a bookshelf PSB) with volume at around 8'clock for "burning in". On a weekend I listen as much as 18hrs continuously and it just sounds great (for me at least).

I have the A-S1000, pretty much the same internals as the 1100/2000/2100 amps, with a few tweaks here and there IIRC. No need to move up the model line from the S1100.. The 801 might be a nice integrated amp, never heard one. But A1000 and up have much more current available for highly dynamic music than the 801 and lower, these amps have balls. The build quality is first class.
The 1000/1100/2000/2100 amps also have a cool feature that I really like, direct amp inputs, meaning in that mode it acts as any stand-alone amp would. So these amps are easily integrated into a home theater setup as long as you have preouts on your HT AVR.

Back
Top Bottom