A sad day for my Yamaha gear!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wmacky

I'm about to dump my old dream system!:no:

Time Machine........

Back in the late 80's, I was out of High School, and had started plumbing as a helper. Read = POOR. In those days one could stop at a shop in the local Mall (Audio Tech) and dream about the higher end gear on display. It was there that I saw my dream system. A TOTL Yamaha system consisting of a T-80 tuner, C-80 Pre, and a M-80 amp, and to finish things off a Nackamichi Cassete with the robotic tape flipper! I had no chance of owning this stuff, but I always stopped while at the Mall for a quick look. My friends couldn't have cared less. They were more realistic than me.

Fast foward 4 years. Now being married, and still rather poor, I happened by a pawn shop Next to a Navy base. (These used to be a gold mine in you know what I mean). And there it was! My dream system in brand new condition. And my God the price. Just $500 for the lot. Still a lot for me at the time, I happily put down a deposit, and payed it off in a few months. Never been so happy about a purchase in my life. Those giant red meters on that amp would make me shed a tear of joy. I scraped up some more cash that year, and bought a pair of Boston Acoustic speakers,and a cheap Yamaha CD player. It was quite system for a very young man living in a rural community back then.

The years weren't nice though. Several years later a shelf collaspe marred the once pristine gear. Dings, and scratches look bad on black gear! I did the magic marker trick, but it was never the same. Add the fact that the tuner now buzzes, and the display flickers, The pre has switch issues, and a dented top case. If it wasn't for the dings, i'd restore them, but they are headed for the dump! Heartbreaking I tell ya. I'm keeping the M- 80 amp as it still looks fine, but probally needs a recap. I'ts the end of an era for me, and was the best $500 I ever spent. Thats my stereo tale for today!

Last edited:
a plumber's helper? Does that mean you were inserted into clogged drains and... umm... plunged? Man that would be a crummy job.

;-)

Where does the Lone Ranger take his trash?
To da dump, to da dump, to da dump dump dump... :D

... wait ... I might give it a last gasp chance ... if you have ever thought of taking the next step in troubleshooting, you might want to check for cracked solder joints or loose connections to see if they are salvageable. Cosmetics aside ... may be worth looking at rubbing some paint or sanding and spray painting depending on where the scratches and dings are. The tuner may just need a realignment.

Last edited:
I dunno about the dump? I think you should offer here in classifieds in case anyone wants the parts or whatever? List them for $20 plus shipping and I'll bet you get a lot of hits. Someone will do the body work and repaint. All is not lost, just spread the Karma around and something nice will come back to you :)

I dunno about the dump? I think you should offer here in classifieds in case anyone wants the parts or whatever? List them for $20 plus shipping and I'll bet you get a lot of hits. Someone will do the body work and repaint. All is not lost, just spread the Karma around and something nice will come back to you :)

I agree!:D

Seems the OP wanted this in VSS, so in consideration of that I've moved it to the Vintage Solid State forum.

Time Machine........

Back in the late 80's, I was out of High School, and had started plumbing as a helper. Read = POOR. In those days one could stop at a shop in the local Mall (Audio Tech) and dream about the higher end gear on display. It was there that I saw my dream system. A TOTL Yamaha system consisting of a T-80 tuner, C-80 Pre, and a M-80 amp, and to finish things off a Nackamichi Cassete with the robotic tape flipper! I had no chance of owning this stuff, but I always stopped while at the Mall for a quick look. My friends couldn't have cared less. They were more realistic than me.

Fast foward 4 years. Now being married, and still rather poor, I happened by a pawn shop Next to a Navy base. (These used to be a gold mine in you know what I mean). And there it was! My dream system in brand new condition. And my God the price. Just $500 for the lot. Still a lot for me at the time, I happily put down a deposit, and payed it off in a few months. Never been so happy about a purchase in my life. Those giant red meters on that amp would make me shed a tear of joy. I scraped up some more cash that year, and bought a pair of Boston Acoustic speakers,and a cheap Yamaha CD player. It was quite system for a very young man living in a rural community back then.

The years weren't nice though. Several years later a shelf collaspe marred the once pristine gear. Dings, and scratches look bad on black gear! I did the magic marker trick, but it was never the same. Add the fact that the tuner now buzzes, and the display flickers, The pre has switch issues, and a dented top case. If it wasn't for the dings, i'd restore them, but they are headed for the dump! Heartbreaking I tell ya. I'm keeping the M- 80 amp as it still looks fine, but probally needs a recap. I'ts the end of an era for me, and was the best $500 I ever spent. Thats my stereo tale for today!

Whoa.....don't dump that C-80 in the trash. I need the input/output jacks....all of them. :thmbsp:

If you're going to do that, just take out those jacks and send them my way. Will require some desoldering... or I might be interested in the whole thing for parts. What say you?

i'm with several others here. I have a c-80, and it would be nice to have a parts unit...just in case! List that thing and I bet someone takes it off your hands in no time!

There is an avenue for parts here.

I'd even be willing to bet someone is possibly in need of an unobtanium part to bring another back to life and could then part it out to other AK'ers as needed. I've given away, sold dirt cheap (considering my time), or asked someone to make a small AK donation from time to time for Yami parts from my personal little boneyard.

Yeah, don't take that stuff to the dump! Part it out here, or else offer it up on Craigslist or Freecycle.org. Be a good citizen of the Earth!

Time Machine........

If I read correctly, this all happened 10 or more years ago, and now it's a problem?
Late '80s + 4 years + "several years" later (we'll use 5) = 1998 or thereabouts, assuming late '80s to be 1989.
Now, 10 years later I can't live with the gear and don't want to service it because of cosmetics?
This stuff is a labor of love for me personally; there's nothing listed here that would prevent me from hanging onto the joy of my youthful "dream system", and all that comes with it. I will sell pieces from time to time if flaws bother me enough, but the dump? What foolish drama; and to come here and post about it? To accomplish what?
This just doesn't ring true to me.
Sounds suspiciously trollish.
Or a shot at a free classified.

My apologies if my cynicism got the best of me. :yes:

Jim

Sounds suspiciously trollish.
Or a shot at a free classified.

My apologies if my cynicism got the best of me. :yes:

Jim

Maybe, maybe not.

I'll take a chance as a legit deal that I'm still interested in (and spoke up for first, I might add ;) ), because I'd like to fix some of the loose jacks on mine with the proper style.

However, my C-80 does work, and I have other pre amps, so I'm not going to participate in a PM bidding war for it.

Okay, looks like there has been plenty of advice given here. If you want to get rid of your equipment, just follow the advice of some of the replies and put it down in the members classifieds section here:

http://www.audiokarma.org/ads/showcat.php/cat/41

It's free and I'm sure someone would be more than willing to take it off your hands.

I'm going to close this thread now as I think we are all done here.

Retro

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom