A Shure DM95 Type G

62vauxhall

It came factory mounted on the Dual changer contained in a Grundig all-in-one - all I kept was the headshell. The cartridge was a "snap mount" of which I've seen several but those were one or another of the "75's".

I no longer have any Dual's new enough to accept TK-24 (or similar) cartridge carriers so I removed the cartridge, ground down what had to be ground down, and epoxied it onto a BSR McDonald 810 slide.

Not looking for stylus compatibility advice. What is in it, I believe, is an aftermarket (but with the tie wire people are posting about) conical (?) that looks serviceable under a USB microscope and sounds fine while in use.

Google searching DM95 Type G produces little so I'm wondering if my guess is correct:

D - means factory fit to a Dual turntable. Or Deutsch.
M95 - what it is - namely a Shure M95
Type G - is what's a bit puzzling. I thought it could mean "guard" as the cartridge does have a clear stylus guard or Grundig as it was a Grundig unit the Dual was part of.

I also have a garden variety Shure M95 and it too has a guard but just a plain jane black one. Not a fancy clear one like the DM95 that looks almost as if it's intended to be a magnifier.

IMG_3902.JPG

D - means factory fit to a Dual turntable. Or Deutsch.
M95 - what it is - namely a Shure M95

Type G - is what's a bit puzzling.

I thought it could mean "guard" as the cartridge does have a clear stylus guard or Grundig as it was a Grundig unit the Dual was part of.

The Shure M95 G has a Spherical (0.6 mils) stylus.

The Type G may means the same thing - Spherical (0.6 mils) stylus. :idea:

Hello 62Vauxhall, the nomenclature adopted by Dual to rename the Shure cartridges originally mounted on their turntables is not easy to decifrate, and I was not able to do it, nevertheless I can assure you that the DM95 Type G actually correspond to the Shure M75 Type G2.
You do have to search an M75 compatible stylus for your cartridge, not a M95 one; the latter won't fit on the DM95 Type G. The Dual name for the corresponding Shurel M95G was Shure M95G-LM, but please don't ask me the meaning of LM in german language, I'm Italian and I have studied English only.
Coming back to your question the original stylus of your cartridge was the N75 Type G2 (spherical) but you can use also use the N75 Type ED2 (elliptical) and the N75HE (hyperelliptical) obviously whether OEM or compatible. IMHO the better is a Jico N75HE (not affiliated with JIco) to be bought directly on their website, but cost about 90$ + delivery and custom duty. Otherwise you can consider the N75HE vividline sold by LP Gear.

Back
Top Bottom