A Sticky (tape) subject

Discussion in 'Tape' started by rollei35guy, Jan 15, 2010.

1. RJMiranda

RJMiranda New Member

Back in the 70s I had bad experiences with Sony PR-150 tape. Not so good performance, in the first place. And very prone to get sticky. I doubt whether you can find one PR-150 tape in Cuba that can be of any use. Instead, I use their reels for tapes I find on pancake form.
    On the other hand, at that same time I saw lots (I mean lots) of Sony SLH tapes so abused that the back coating was almost fully worn (you could see the brown recording layer thru the back of the tape) but the sound was there.
    Of course a tropical climate is not the best for tapes, but even when the PR-150 were new (and in a permanently climatized room) some gave trouble. And all I can find now are useless.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2014
  2. TheNLOwner

TheNLOwner Analog Tape Addict!

I know this is an old post, but this is wrong. Sony PR-150 does not get sticky, it has loss of lubrication. Baking for instance will not work, it will most likely amplify the problem. Just throwing this out there so people don't go baking PR-150's with important recordings. Lubricating the tape will work, you'll need silicone spray, but be careful, some might melt the tape (so try on a spot with no recordings first). And apply a little bit, too much and it will slip out between the capstan and pinch roller.

3. jlb2

jlb2 Well-Known Member

TheNLOwner is correct that the usual decay mode of the Sony PR150 is not SSS, and does not respond well to baking. OTOH the use of chemicals on decaying tape is a bad idea, especially silicone which is extremely difficult to remove. Cold playing is a common way of playing those tapes - that's right, you play the tape inside a fridge! Believe it or not, it does work!

4. mrdbdigital

mrdbdigital The TBS Archives

5. Mozart1220

Mozart1220 Active Member

I used to work for Bonneville Productions (later Video West) in Salt Lake City. When they transferred their masters from 1/4 tape to DAT they were throwing away dozens of cases of tape, most of it Ampex 456 and 499. They said I could take what I wanted (it had all been bulk erased). That was in about 1995. I have tried to keep the tape in a climate controlled environment, but a couple moves forced me into putting a lot of my stuff in storage

So I have about 100 7" reels of worthless sticky tape. :(

Ironically, the low quality "greencorp" reels I have are all playing just FINE!

6. mrdbdigital

mrdbdigital The TBS Archives

Well, you could always bake it and apply NuFinish. Haven't tried that myself, (NuFinish) but others have had great success with 456/7 treated that way, with the SSS problem not coming back.

Dave :music:

7. eddisc

eddisc Super Member

I had a very successful bake of two 10'' rolls of Sony SLH-180-36 last weekend. NICE 'cuz one has Tom Petty & Heartbreakers @ The Record Plant 4-23-77 7-1/2ips and HALF TRACK! Along w/a George Thoroughgood & The Destroyers @ The Boarding House also 7-1/2 half-track - both off the air from KSAN. Not sure yet if George is from 5/23/78 or on 11/23/77.
    But DAMN good anyway! Will be treating w/ NuFin in a day or two.
    There's also an Elvis Costello from KSAN - no other info...

8. Mozart1220

Mozart1220 Active Member

I thought of that, but given that I don't use my R2R that much anymore, and I got all that tape for free, (and it's all blank) I might just chuck it and buy new.

I notice that Ampex is "Quantegy" now.

9. Falstaff

Falstaff AK Subscriber Subscriber

10. TheNLOwner

TheNLOwner Analog Tape Addict!

The AGFA is wrong though. A series of those tapes had issues, not SSS though. AGFA fixed that back then so the chance of having a problematic AGFA 468/469 is small.

11. klipschorn

klipschorn Klipschorn

A Sticky tape subject

Yes, it is, or more appropriately, will be quite a 'read'. I'll print it for easier reading. I did spend about 15 minutes perusing the article and found it to be extremely interesting and informative. While I have read many articles on SSS as well as experiencing the phenomenon, the first of which was a somewhat of a panic inducing experience, this article really goes into detail.
    Thank you ever so much for posting the link.
    Robert. (klipschorn)

12. twiiii

twiiii Super Member

If I had to do it all over again with perfect 20/20 hind sight I never would have used any ampex 400 series or Grand Master tape. I took all the tapes and dubbed them to CD before the issue became irreversible. The TDK and Maxell tapes were dubbed, too just in case. The metal 10 1/2 reel were sold and everything else trashed. I have since pretty much replaced the dubs with original vinyl, and those CD dumped. But there are still over 300 CD's dubs of live performances I recorded and live broadcast performances I have not yet been able to replace. It would be fun to have those tapes back, not so much the 1/2" 15 ips 4 channel tapes, but all the 2 trk 15 inch selections. I still have my B-77 HS, Ampex AG-500 and 350, stored away with one DBX 157. I'm in the process of bringing my F-4460 back to life, just for fun.

13. mcgjohn

mcgjohn Member

Like Mozart1220, I bought three cases of 499, thinking Quantegy had fixed the sticky shed. only to find it was still there. ended up selling all 3 cases as reels only.

as noted, the 400 series ampex (406, 407, 456 457 499) and scotch 226, 227 and the later 3M 808 should be avoided.

If you have a master you want to transfer, you can bake the tapes in a food dehydrator. Bought one just for that purpose. Takes 4 hrs for a 1/4 tape, and usually 6 hrs for 1/2 tape. have not tried it with any 1 or 2 inch tapes. The tapes will be good for approx 3-6 weeks depending on your local humidity level, then will slowly revert back.

If you have a deck that was biased for 456, the new EMTEC 911 is super close on bias. can probably use the tape without rebiasing.

best