A Very Different Beer To Try ★★★★

MoreBeer

Money + Money =More Money
While cruising my local beer isles I stumbled upon Rogue Hazelnut Brown Nectar, which I never tried and decided to snap it up. $11 six pack.

To my surprise, this gimmicky brew was quite good! It had a nice roasted malty flavor, quite sweet but not quite overpoweringly so with hints of chocolate, caramel, brown sugars and coffee. A bonus was the taste and smell of hazelnut was actually there!

It reminded me of a beer I had maybe 20 years ago in Kansas City at a Royals game while away on business. Can't remember what that was although it was some kind of nutty infused brown ale.

Although only 5.6% ABV, it still had a faint boozy aftertaste. Regarding the alcohol, I think this beer would be better at a higher ABV of 8% or so....if anything, that's what its missing.

A nice dessert beer to enjoy slowly. A very solid four stars! ★★★★

Would have been 5 stars if slightly less sweet with a little bump in the booze. A must try.

RogueHazelnut_900.jpg

Here is a beer I have wanted to try but I have not found it around my area yet. It has a very interesting story. Midas Touch Beer is a recreation of a 2700 year old recipe for beer that was found in ceramic beer "bottles" found in King Midas's tomb. The recipe was derived from biomolecular scanning of the organics found in the porous ceramic jars.

https://www.penn.museum/sites/biomoleculararchaeology/?page_id=143
Photo+Mar+02,+9+21+01+PM-dfh-midas.jpg

Here is a beer I have wanted to try but I have not found it around my area yet. It has a very interesting story. Midas Touch Beer is a recreation of a 2700 year old recipe for beer that was found in ceramic beer "bottles" found in King Midas's tomb. The recipe was derived from biomolecular scanning of the organics found in the porous ceramic jars.

Midas Touch is by Dogfish Brewery. All their beers can be found here easily as they're on the east coast. In fact, they're everywhere. I've had this beer a while back. It was okay (unusual) but with 9% ABV should have been better as I recall. Worth a try if you never had it.

If it was a really good beer, I would have bought again which I didn't. A 9%+ ABV beer needs to be fabulous to drink regularly, such as Ommegang Three Philosophers, Chimay Blue, Gouden Carolus Tripel, etc. If not, might as well have brandy.

Dogfish does make some decent beers however.

Cheyenne is not well know for exotic beers. I would need to go to Colorado to find it. I have never seen Dog Fish beers here. :( Fat Tire is May favorite anyway.

Cheyenne is not well know for exotic beers. I would need to go to Colorado to find it. I have never seen Dog Fish beers here. :( Fat Tire is May favorite anyway.

If Fat Tire floats your boat, (I've tried it) its possible your not missing out with Midas Touch.

Flat Tire by New Belgium seems to be trending now for some reason. Its all over the place around here. Likely the brewer is doing a big discount promo with the local distributor. New Belgium makes one of my favorite beers....their Abbey Dubbel. It's insanely good at a great price. Try one of those someday.

That's in the grocery stores around here ( Dogfish Head Midas Touch). I could also send you a couple others they're known for too - 90 minute IPA for example. There are also many many small breweries around here (like... 15? 20?) If you have specific styles you like it would be really cool to trade for stuff only available locally around you.

With Dogfish Head, one of my dad's best friends lives 15 minutes from their original brewery. If you want the really obscure shit, I can get it. :)

Jack's Abby has become a fave, specifically the Saxony Lager. Locally made too, a bonus. Not tried it until recently -

beer-saxonylager-can.jpg

They've got a couple others that keep coming back into my fridge too -

JAB-maibock-web.png

Ye Olde Default -

beer-houselager-can.jpg

Jack's Abby has become a fave, specifically the Saxony Lager. Locally made too, a bonus. Not tried it until recently -

beer-saxonylager-can.jpg

They've got a couple others that keep coming back into my fridge too -

JAB-maibock-web.png

Ye Olde Default -

beer-houselager-can.jpg

Any beer that has a bad pun in the label can't be ALL bad... :beerchug:

Any beer that has a bad pun in the label can't be ALL bad... :beerchug:

They have a better pun but I've not tried it yet and cannot comment. However, so far I've not had one I've not liked. Their brewmaster is on his toes. Jack's Abby is located in Framingham. It's a blue collar town, always has been. To say they nailed this name would be a massive understatement. But it's really not just about being cute with the allusion to its ABV or tools but props to the roots of the town too -

Framinghamm-Solo-Shot-01-1.png

Framinghammer is currently available in several barrel aged variants including coffee, mole, graham cracker, vanilla, coconut, and PB&J. I’ve had the vanilla a couple of years ago and remember it as pretty enjoyable.

Was in Montreal on vacation last week and tried a few I'd not seen before. Although we mostly ate & drank in the brew pubs (Saint Houblon & Brasserie Haricana most excellent) Batch Brewery (Toronto) Unfiltered Kolsch and Tremblay Blonde packaged beers found a spot in the fridge while we were there. Both were very good, brought some of the Batch home too. Right now I am having a Feyborn Berliner Blackberry (sour beer) from a local MA company, it's very good. Sour beers are great in the summer.

8b4c202493b0a721db141fce1bf387f6_640x640.jpg

dscf2118.jpg

3412fc849ea8ae6e9d6707e4fc74a171_640x640.jpg

(web pics all)

Back
Top Bottom