A Video Guide on How to Use Howard's Restor-A-Finish and Feed-n-Wax

I think I need a new brain so I can absorb some of this info.
Nah, just follow the instructions on the can...especially the part about doing the work in a well-ventilated area and keeping the stuff away from flame, your eyes and your skin.

How long do you wait between applying the Restor A Finish and the Feed n Wax?

As long as it takes to screw the cap back on the Restor-a-Finish!

Seriously, once you've wiped off the RAF, start putting on the Feed-n-Wax. No waiting period required (except after the wax, for which you wait 20 minutes to wipe off.)

Hey tmad thanks for the vid. Got a Q though which might have already been covered. Does this mean that I have to wait one night for each side to dry up? Can I stand the speaker upright on the ground and refinish every side at one go? Cheers.

Hey David,

I usually set the speaker on one side (usually the bottom) and do all the other sides at that time. Once I'm finished wiping off the Feed n Wax I take a go at the bottom and call it done.

Good job on the video. It's helpful to see the process in action and realise that just about anyone has the skills to do this. I will be doing this to my speakers, and other things. Many thanks to you.

Thanks for a very helpful video. I just finished doing a pair of JBL Walnut L19 cabinets with RAF and will be applying F&W tomorrow morning, then reassemble the speakers. Looks pretty darn good from here.

Glad to see this thread back up. I've been wanting to do my W60E's for a while now. I even have the Restore-A-Finish sitting on the shelf in front of me. The cabs are fine, but the finish has dulled after 40 years. Every so often, I think about doing them, but then I start digging the sound too-much and don't want to move them. Especially right now. I've got everything dialed-in and I've taken steps to optimize the gear that's feeding them, so the thought of moving them out of their sweet spot scares me (I haven't really done a thing to them and yet they're sounding better than ever right now). If I can do them indoors though (It's winter, you know), I'm all in.

I'll watch the video, and perhaps I'll get motivated...

Last edited:
Hey GT,

I actually did the Restor-a-finish in my master bedroom suite while watching a movie. Maybe I got a little less sensitive to it, but from a fume standpoint it wasn't bad at all - course these L19's are smaller speakers. I took out a heavy duty trash bag and set it down on the carpet, then the speakers and wiped away - (after some steam swelling of some deep scratches, light 220 sanding to scuff up the finish a bit) - everything came out looking pretty good. It was a good hour or two before I remembered I should ventilate the area so I opened a couple of windows and balcony door, aired out in no time. So, with some ventilation and protective tarp layout, you might be able to do them, in situ, right where they are, it was pretty easy. Or just mark the current location with some 3M blue painters tape on the floor, and then remove to a suitable location. I suspect for you it could take maybe 1 or 2 hours tops for a couple of RAF and FNW applications and you're done!

As noted above, the shallow scratches blended in easily and are barely visible. The deep scratches darkened and are visible but look much more acceptable. The surface finish is very smooth except for a very few spots, could be even glass like if I elected to finish sand with 320 or 400, but I think I'm going to skip that and just put on the Feed 'N Wax a couple of times and buff it out. These will go to a friend of mine for his video monitoring setup. He wanted some vintage JBL's to work with and the natural patina and presence of a Walnut JBL cabinet in this condition should add to his ownership experience.

I'll try to post a couple of pics soon.

Bart

Forgot to mention, this stuff works well on JBL cabinets, major partly because JBL cabinets are well built and have a very good finish on them to begin with. Even pretty beat up vintage JBL walnut cabinets have come back with a bit more prep, assuming they are physically badly trashed.

JBL Pro cabinets however get beat up really badly and sometimes require completely different methods depending on finish and desired outcome.

Got a pair of Dynaco A25's I'll start trying the RAF on this week. Like Similost, I may be off pulling out speakers from storage to see how they'll clean up with RAF and FNW.

The Howards should do a pretty good job of cleaning too, but formby's refinisher works well if they are very dirty or have some old finish that needs removed

Howard's is easy to use, just read the can.
Many here don't use steel wool for fear of having tiny metal fiber so near large magnets. They use 3M Scotchbrite pads instead.
Other than that, watch a few Youtibe videos of people refinishing coffee tables and you'll get the idea.

Back
Top Bottom