A Visit With The Fishers

TheRed1

Console Conservationist
Late last month I had the opportunity to go through Avery Fisher’s personal records prior to their donation to the Julliard School Library at the Lincoln Center. Avery Fisher’s son, Chip, graciously allowed me to spend the day at his Manhattan home digging through four file boxes of old documents and photos. There were many items I recognized of which I already had copies; but much of the material was completely new to me.

Chip had previously gone through all of his father’s records and had it pretty well organized into folders by subject and date. He set me up in his dining room and left me to it. Throughout the day he was in and out with appointments to keep and errands to run. I had a chance to talk with him only briefly about his father’s history as he checked in on me between his comings and goings. For much of the day I think I was the only one there.

During one such quiet spell I heard someone come in. When I looked up there was a young man standing in the doorway. Obviously he didn’t know who I was or what I was doing there and I had no idea who he was - though he did look vaguely familiar. I stood up, shook his hand, introduced myself and tried my best to explain my purpose without sounding too much like a Fisher stalker. He turned out to be Chip’s son - Avery Fisher's grandson - and he was just as personable and pleasant to talk to as his father.

It had to be a bit odd for him to encounter a stranger in his family’s dining room who knew so much about his grandfather. I was gratified that he seemed quite interested in his family’s history. He was especially curious about his grandfather’s connection to JFK. I showed him the file folder I had found (photo below); explaining that his father had apparently repurposed it and that I had been unable to find its original contents. More on that later.

For this trip I cobbled together a desktop mic stand with a gooseneck attachment and a camera mount adapter so I could make photographic copies. It was not an ideal arrangement but it saved me from having to lug boxes of irreplaceable, one-of-a-kind documents through the streets of Manhattan to the nearest Kinkos. Working as fast as I could from 8:30 AM straight through to 5 PM, I managed to make it through all four boxes. I ended up with almost 700 exposures which I have spent the subsequent weeks since my return cleaning up on PhotoShop and organizing into folders.

I had already amassed a fairly impressive collection of Fisher-related material. However, this one trip easily doubled that. The first thing I did was to archive the photos onto 7 CDs. Since then I’ve been concentrating on the earliest material concerning Avery Fisher’s first venture, the Philharmonic Radio Co., 1937-1943. It is the least known period of Fisher's history and I find it fascinating - especially since I am one of the very few lucky enough to have a piece of it.

I’ve emptied two ink cartridges and the better part of an entire ream of paper printing hard copies. I used up all the plastic sheet protectors I had and just ran out and bought three more boxes. I now have all my Philharmonic Radio documents organized into four binders: one for newspaper ads; one for sales literature and other sales related documents; one for legal documents involving the Philharmonic trademark lawsuit and one for service and owners manuals as well as (the most amazing item - in my opinion) the original company ledger which details - set by set and sale by sale - the Philharmonic Radio Company’s entire output from 1940 through 1943.

The ledger lists every conceivable detail - down to the cabinet finish and chassis number - of every radio-phonograph Philharmonic manufactured during this period which accounts for roughly 80% of their total output. (Less than 700 units - at least 668). Amazingly, with my poor memory, I recalled enough details about my own Philharmonic Futura K-1 to be able to find it in the ledger. It was sold on Sept. 3, 1942 which was much later than I would have thought. Just as I was packing up to leave, Chip stopped by to see how I was doing. I took the opportunity to proudly show him the entry for my Philharmonic. I also asked him about the JFK folder. He said he had taken that material and had it framed. It was likely in storage in a closet somewhere though he wasn't sure exactly where. He did say he would try to locate it for me.

Now what am I going to do with all this information? Of course I will happily answer any questions you guys have. Write a book? Maybe - but that is a daunting prospect. My wife says I should but who reads books these days? And who’s got the time and energy to write them, let alone the money to publish? All I can think of is all the new avenues of research this new information could potentially open. How does one decide when one knows enough of the story to begin to try to tell it? I seem to communicate best using the AK post format with a fairly narrow focus on some particular aspect of Fisher history - equivalent to a magazine article in scope. I’m not sure if I’m capable of condensing everything down into one all-inclusive, comprehensible, linear narrative. Perhaps a blog format would suit my purposes best.

Suggestions? Questions?

JFKWhiteHouseInstallationFolder.jpg

Wow. Carter, your service to all of us who appreciate Fisher gear is just unbelievable. Well done, once again.

I had some very minor dealings with Chip Fisher and agree that he's a very nice man. So wonderful that he allowed you access to these documents, and that he himself shows so much respect for his father's legacy - and saw that in you.

That's amazing! And to find the data on your own Philharmonic no less. Wish I could have been there. Archiving can be very addictive.

What to do with all that data--possibly separate it by decade or 5-year increments and burn to cd's and sell them?

It would be nice to learn anything about the President's President--did it exist, where was it and what happened to it.

I as a Fisher aficionado thank you for your impeccable research and devotion to all things Fisher, the family included. Appreciate your posts on same and the history and people involved.

No doubt the knowledge you have gleaned would have been lost forever without your efforts. Knowing the man behind the product brings a level of understanding that is impossible to derive from pics and schematics. Thank-you for your time and effort in keeping this material alive and available to all who love the Fisher name and product!

Dave

What does Chip plan to do with these records when the inevitable happens to him? Anyone have a suggestion as to a suitable library or university to archive these records for future generations.

Excellent job. Thank you for taking the time to archive all that information. I'm very interested in seeing more if the opportunity comes up. How did you manage to get all this set up?

Wow, a Bravo Zulu from Larry - that's high praise indeed.

Yes, as noted, Chip has probably already deposited his father's records at Julliard by now. They should be available to anyone interested in Fisher Radio, Philharmonic Radio and even Mr. Fisher's later philanthropic work associated with the Lincoln Center. To any interested parties living in or near Manhattan, I would encourage further investigation of this resource. There were many items I only had time to skim briefly. I know I must have overlooked much more potentially significant Fisher information. Also, my photos of photos leave much to be desired. Surely a proper scan would be a major improvement.

Of course most of you know that Avery Fisher Hall is part of the Lincoln Center. Mr. Fisher gave generously from the proceeds of his sale of Fisher Radio to rebuild the old Philharmonic Hall, home of the New York Philharmonic. It was subsequently renamed in his honor. Perhaps less well know is that Avery Fisher Hall - purely by coincidence - stands very nearly on the exact site of the original 1945 Fisher Radio Laboratories at 117 West 63rd St. So it seems especially fitting that Avery Fisher's historic legacy should be kept there.

Among the many photos I found in Avery Fisher's records was this one:

117-W-63rd-St-Laboratorie.jpg

At first I thought this must certainly be that first Fisher manufacturing facility - the site of the future Avery Fisher Hall. Then, looking closer, I noticed the faint outlines of certain Fisher gear in the window. That, coupled with the styling of some of the cars reflected in the glass, told me that this photo could not have been taken in the 1940s. By the time this photo was taken Fisher had moved its manufacturing across the East River to Long Island City.

117-W-63rd-St-Close-Up.jpg

Looking on the back of the photo I read the faint pencil inscription: "117 E. 47th St." At first I thought someone had just written the wrong street. I had to go back and review some of my own older posts about the chronology of Fisher's "Radio Salon" locations. Sure enough, for a short time in early 1957 Fisher relocated to that address after moving out of their prior storefront at 41 E. 47th St. just a block away. That original Radio Salon location was in the Marguery Hotel which had been recently slated for demolition to make way for the Union Carbide Building. Unfortunately, I found no photos of that legendary location nor the original "Labs".

Of course the 117 E. 47th St. location had to be temporary since that structure was also slated for demolition - in this case to make way for the Chemical Bank Building. Fisher finally settled into a more permanent location in late 1957 in the Biltmore Hotel at 335 Madison. It's funny, all the coincidences in Fisher's history. Imagine: two separate 117 addresses. It sure threw me.

Excellent job. Thank you for taking the time to archive all that information. I'm very interested in seeing more if the opportunity comes up. How did you manage to get all this set up?
Thinking back I can't even remember how I first made contact with Chip. I know other people researching Fisher and I must have gotten contact information through one of them. We've been trying to set this up for almost a year with scheduling problems on both ends. Suddenly it just all worked out - at the last possible moment. This all happened on a Sunday with Chip planning on dropping the records off at Julliard the next day.

That is absolutely amazing that you are able to bring this info to us. Thank you so much for your efforts.

This is one of the most amazing threads I have seen on AK. Thank you for sharing all this information. The photos are so amazing!

Carter,

What a awesome story. You bring vibrancy and life to history without straying from the facts and that is a gift my friend.

Frannie

It is so easy to have things slip away while you're paying attention to something else.

You've done all of us devoted to the legacy of this pinnacle of excellence a great service.

This is such fascinating news. Would Julliard allow people to go through this trove of information?

Back
Top Bottom