A way I found to cut the time to rip CDs into my music computer..

Bill Ferris

Lunatic Member
I had tried a lessor version of this method back last year when I started to re-rip all of my CDs.

Anyway I recently had to go back into my computer to re-rip some of the CD`s, because when my friend asked to borrow one of my lap-tops because he was having some issues with his tower and needed a functioning computer.
Anyway, he added some of his WAV. ripped to my music folder without asking or advising me of his intent.
So, quite a few albums of mine in that computer were corrupt(showing only one song in WMP),though the music file was complete..
Anyway, as I started to re-rip the corrupted CD`s after deleting the corrupted music files, I was realizing that using the HP w/8 Gig. business class lap-top`s internal optical DVD drive was going to take a lot longer than I wished, or thought it should take after just ripping two CDs.

And I thought, this can go much, much faster, without compromising the data throughput.
So this HP lap-top has 2 usb3 ports, and I have an internal type BR DVD tower optical SATA connection drive not mounted in any machine.
And a usb3 interface to SATA adaptor/interface that I use to externally connect SATA Hard drives for scanning, wiping, or transferring data..
After I connected this external setup to my HP lap-top and let Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit OS find the driver for it, and then close out and re-open WMP, so it would find the external optical drive now connected to the computer, my CD re-rips took about 1/4 quarter of the previous time, it took using the lap-top`s internal DVD optical drive before.
I had used a similar setup before, when ripping to another refurbished lap-top, whose optical drive was a slot type instead of a tray and didn`t trust that type of setup, not failing on me, during a 1000+ CD rip session !

But that external setup was using another usb2 to ATA external adaptor connected to a old CD optical drive from a late nineties computer that I had updated it`s optical drive years ago, and it still worked perfectly.
While it was fast, the usb3 to SATA BR DVD combo setup just frigg`n hauled ass..

Anyway folks, something I thought might be helpful to share with you, if you have a large amount CD ripping marathon in your future, these device`s are inexpensive and work very well.

FWIW.

Kind regards, OKB

Oh yeah, if you're doing a large amount of rips it pays to look into drive speeds.

My laptop drive conked out a few years ago, so I replaced it with one of those external ones that uses two USB ports and gets its power from the USB port(s). It worked, but was kinda slow. Average rips were about 12 minutes(I think).
A couple of years ago I visited my family and forgot my external drive. I borrowed my dad's for a few rips and man did it ever speed things up. Rips were taking about 3 to 4 minutes. And this is a secure rip with EAC and a FLAC conversion.
I ended up buying a drive that is almost the same as his. It's an LG with an external power supply.

Honestly, I'd advise anyone contemplating a big rip project with a laptop to buy a good external drive. Save the internal one.

I built my computer with one BD drive, but when I had more batches of CDs to rip, I installed the DVD drive from my previous computer. Using dBpoweramp's batch CD ripper, both drives ran simultaneously and I blew through about 40-45 CDs per hour. I considered adding another old drive, and I actually tried using the laptop as a third ripping drive, but found I was falling behind. I can keep up with two, with a spare moment or two to catch my breath. :D

Now I wish I'd used the batch ripper and two drives a few years back when I started this whole project!

My rip speeds were ripping WAV. not FLAC. which should be even faster, since FLAC is a lossless compression music ripping software method, with smaller overall file size method, that I`m still not comfortable with using !!

Being that a person can buy, as I`m told, a Terabyte capacity SS drive for around $300.00.
Look Ma, no moving parts, and much less electrical load on any power supply feeding it, internal, or external !!

I also prefer using a external drive power supply, so not to pull on the computer`s usb`s power rail, like some of the portable usb optical drives use via (2) usb connections to split the power feed load from the host computer..

I like a dedicated beefy wall wart for that external power feed application, but that`s just me..

As you folks see fit.
Good luck with any method you choose..

Much kind regards for those interested folks, OKB

Get a fast, SATA interface CD drive (mine is currently 42x).
Use an internal SATA HDD as the target.
Instruct your ripper to use maximum rip speed.
My average disk rip speed is now about 25-30x (EAC).

Coincidentally, EAC has just decided it needs to run slowly for a disc I'm, currently ripping (6.5x)

Last edited:
My rip speeds were ripping WAV. not FLAC. which should be even faster, since FLAC is a lossless compression music ripping software method, with smaller overall file size method, that I`m still not comfortable with using !!

Being that a person can buy, as I`m told, a Terabyte capacity SS drive for around $300.00.
Look Ma, no moving parts, and much less electrical load on any power supply feeding it, internal, or external !!

I also prefer using a external drive power supply, so not to pull on the computer`s usb`s power rail, like some of the portable usb optical drives use via (2) usb connections to split the power feed load from the host computer..

I like a dedicated beefy wall wart for that external power feed application, but that`s just me..

As you folks see fit.
Good luck with any method you choose..

Much kind regards for those interested folks, OKB
Actually, my rips are to WAV and then converted(on the fly) to FLAC. If anything FLAC rips take a bit longer because of the conversion. It's not much, but it adds a little time to the process.
The compressed size of the FLAC end file has nothing to do with shortening rip times. EAC still needs to read all the data on the disc first, and then a FLAC file can be created.

I'm an EAC guy(out of habit), but dbpoweramp can do it a little faster because it can use multiple cores of the processor.
It starts ripping track 1 to WAV, and when it's done starts the FLAC conversion. While that happens the next track is ripped to WAV on another processor. And on and on until it's finished.

I'm an EAC guy(out of habit), but dbpoweramp can do it a little faster because it can use multiple cores of the processor.
It starts ripping track 1 to WAV, and when it's done starts the FLAC conversion. While that happens the next track is ripped to WAV on another processor. And on and on until it's finished.
It's nice doing that with eight cores available. ;) Conversions between formats go even faster--I can downconvert DSD to 24/88.2 for use in the car, or FLAC to WMA for portables, and it's very fast. Nice thing when ripping CDs, the drive can still rip as fast as possible, and the multiple cores quickly encode the files to FLAC without making the drive pause while the conversions finish (as it used to do many years ago).

It's nice doing that with eight cores available. ;) Conversions between formats go even faster--I can downconvert DSD to 24/88.2 for use in the car, or FLAC to WMA for portables, and it's very fast. Nice thing when ripping CDs, the drive can still rip as fast as possible, and the multiple cores quickly encode the files to FLAC without making the drive pause while the conversions finish (as it used to do many years ago).

Conversion of WAV to FLAC takes less time than it does to rip the track, so it only needs two cores. Not that I'm sure the ripping taxes a single core much.

Yeah, any time I've watched db do its thing for ripping I don't think I've seen where it would be of any benefit to have more than two cores. By the time the track one FLAC conversion is done track two is still ripping.

Format converting though, I could totally see how multiple cores would be great.
Even using just two cores when converting stuff like WAV, APE, or SHN to FLAC it goes pretty quick. Throwing eight at it would be awesome.

I just ripped a whole bunch of CD using EAC on a Linux Mint computer (using wine) and have three observations:
  1. A desktop CD/DVD drive is much faster than a CD/DVD drive on a laptop
  2. Converting from WAV to flac takes one second (AMD Athlon II CPU) and uses almost one core
  3. EAC and wine don't even use 10% of one core

I just ripped a whole bunch of CD using EAC on a Linux Mint computer (using wine) and have three observations:
  1. A desktop CD/DVD drive is much faster than a CD/DVD drive on a laptop
  2. Converting from WAV to flac takes one second (AMD Athlon II CPU) and uses almost one core
  3. EAC and wine don't even use 10% of one core
1 second? That's hauling it!

I've never counted when I've done SHN, WAV, APE to FLAC with the dbpoweramp two core method, but I think it was more like 30-60 seconds or so per 'album'. This is with a 9 year old laptop with an Intel Centrino, running Windows.

1 second? That's hauling it!

I've never counted when I've done SHN, WAV, APE to FLAC with the dbpoweramp two core method, but I think it was more like 30-60 seconds or so per 'album'. This is with a 9 year old laptop with an Intel Centrino, running Windows.
That is 1 second per song. Maybe 2 seconds for a long song. The flac conversion takes place after a song is ripped and then EAC starts to rip the next song once the conversion is finished.

That is 1 second per song. Maybe 2 seconds for a long song. The flac conversion takes place after a song is ripped and then EAC starts to rip the next song once the conversion is finished.
Oh I heard ya.

I'm pretty sure my EAC settings are the same, but the conversion takes a bit more time.
It's so little time though, so I don't give it much thought.

Thanks. It worked like a charm. :banana:

The minimum track times for the CD I ripped was 10 minutes. It took a 2-3 seconds to convert them to flac.

Back
Top Bottom