A week with the Yamaha B-2X

Hi Mark
Thanks for your kind word .My amp showed up yesterday ,But there was some damage during the transport . (Some minor dents and the speakers connectors all broken) .I contacted UPS to see what can be done .So in the meantime i can not touch it ,until they say so ..

I'm sorry to hear that the B-2x was damaged during transport.

I had the same thing happen with a B-2x. I replaced the broken speaker terminals with WBT's.

Attachments

• unnamed-1.jpg
    unnamed-1.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 59
  • B-2x back v-1.jpg
    B-2x back v-1.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 44

I had the same thing happen with a B-2x. I replaced the broken speaker terminals with WBT's.
Hi Mark . I have a question for you .
I finally listen to my B-2x .But i feel that with this amp i really need to use a tone control preamp. If i only use volume control it doesn't sounds right .The high frequencies come out attenuated .I am used to passive pre-amplification ,but i think ,unless my amp requires a restoration and it is not performing as it should .I would have to use the B-2x only with a tone control .It this the same for you?

Hi Mark . I have a question for you .
I finally listen to my B-2x .But i feel that with this amp i really need to use a tone control preamp. If i only use volume control it doesn't sounds right .The high frequencies come out attenuated .I am used to passive pre-amplification ,but i think ,unless my amp requires a restoration and it is not performing as it should .I would have to use the B-2x only with a tone control .It this the same for you?
In my experience using a passive preamp design that uses a potentiometer for volume control doesn't work well with most of the amps I've tried it with. The exception was my Yamaha B-1. That may be due to the B-1's exceptionally high input impedance (100k ohms). I've tried other passive preamp designs such as the Townshend Audio Allegri which is an autoformer volume control, and a semi-passive design that has no gain and uses powered SS buffers. Both work very well with every amp I've tried them with.

Did you modify these existing speaker lug support boxes?

ya-b2x-i.jpg

Did you modify these existing speaker lug support boxes?

View attachment 2654647
No, I discarded the original busted up double pair of binding posts and replaced them with a single set of WBT binding posts. I attached a piece of dark acrylic sheet to the back panel after I drilled mounting holes in it for the WBT binding posts. I soldered insulated wire to the WBT binding posts and to the circuit board that the original binding posts were attached to.

The results sound good and look pretty decent.

F7AB2003-A067-47CB-9251-84E4600FA055.jpeg

No, I discarded the original busted up double pair of binding posts and replaced them with a single set of WBT binding posts. I attached a piece of dark acrylic sheet to the back panel after I drilled mounting holes in it for the WBT binding posts. I soldered insulated wire to the WBT binding posts and to the circuit board that the original binding posts were attached to.

The results sound good and look pretty decent.

View attachment 2654774
Do you have any more inside photos?

Back
Top Bottom