About the importance of connectors in audio equipment

ginetto61

A warm greeting to Everyone,
i would like to get some opinion/advice on the importance of the quality of connectors in audio equipment (and therefore also as cable terminations :rolleyes: but this is another issue).
My impression is that the average commercial quality is quite poor and that even the simple substitution of panel rcas, for example on a preamplifier, can provide significant improvements in terms of noise and thus sound quality.;)
This is also very true on some vintage equipment. The panel rcas are not good looking usually.
Then I would be grateful if you could direct me to some good example of good quality and low price rca panel connectors. I intend to replace them on some units i have.
I would love teflon insulation because I'm a dog at soldering :(
thanks and best regards
gino :)

Last edited:
I like rhodium plated RCA jacks from ebay. About $5 each. Much better than Gold, which are very thinly plated. plus it's such a soft metal that it wears off easily. Rhodium is in the platinum family and is a hard metal. Haven't worn down at all yet and I swap equipment often.

Ground connections of RCA jacks becoming corroded over time not uncommon on older equipment. This will markedly affect performance.

hi thank you very much indeed for your kind and helpful advice
my impression is that the quality of contact issue is underestimated in general also because just good panel rcas cost a lot indeed.
Moreover dirt tends to accumulate on the contacts. I used some chemical cleaner for stains on clothes and i was amazed by the difference i got in the sound after the cleaning. It was very smelling but very efficient indeed.

I like rhodium plated RCA jacks from ebay. About $5 each. Much better than Gold, which are very thinly plated. plus it's such a soft metal that it wears off easily. Rhodium is in the platinum family and is a hard metal. Haven't worn down at all yet and I swap equipment often.

thanks a lot for the advice. i will try those for sure

For RCA connector, it's not important, they are low current and high impedance circuit. I buy from Amazon cheap to build me amp. Now Speaker connector is a lot more critical as it's high current.

I would not go and change the RCA connector in your amp for the fun of it. If it is broken, yes change it. If it is working leave it.

Ground connections of RCA jacks becoming corroded over time not uncommon on older equipment. This will markedly affect performance.
Hi and yes this is very true. I am a big fan of good design and construction. Both things can be found also in cheap products. One case is the excellent bnc connector. Cheap and excellent and i think it would be excellent also for LF signals.

For RCA connector, it's not important, they are low current and high impedance circuit. I buy from Amazon cheap to build me amp.
Hi and thanks for the advice. I see expensive units using expensive connectors. Speaking of vintage i found some problems with sizes different between male and female rcas. Some connections were a little loose and other i had to force the cables. Not nice at all. I think it could be a problem of too wide tolerances ?

Now Speaker connector is a lot more critical as it's high current. I would not go and change the RCA connector in your amp for the fun of it. If it is broken, yes change it. If it is working leave it.
this mirrors my same experience. I am using connectors of this type here
16959d1257459155-ferrite-cores-banana-plugs-tinning-soldering-speaker-cables-lc0534e-6-usa.jpg

Last edited:
If not for convenience I'd use solder.
Hi i see your point.
I think that also dirt acts as resistance. I am trying to see what top manufacturers of turntables arms and phono preamps are using for connectors to get some idea. a moving coil signal can be as low as uV. very weak and delicate ;)

Last edited:
hi again i think i found something interesting here
https://www.stereophile.com/phonopreamps/boulder_amplifiers_1008_phono_preamplifier/index.html
quoting ... The fully balanced 1008 has XLR inputs and outputs. Boulder can supply properly configured single-ended adapters if needed (I did, for the input connection) but for optimum performance, the company suggests rewiring your tonearm leads with XLR connectors.
Read more at https://www.stereophile.com/phonopr...o_preamplifier/index.html#3r2XFA47y2xhaTwz.99
these words and their selection of xlr standard over rcas for such demanding task (transfer of uV MC signals) supports the superiority of the xlr to rca at least for me implying that connections quality is indeed a serious issue.
Some rcas are horrible and the very good one expensive
i think it has to do with the design because connectors of other standards like bnc can be made cheap and good

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom