About the NIkko Gamma 1

Price seems right, I'd buy it for that much. Pretty rare around here, only saw one in many years and it was priced out of my range. Being as how impressed I was with the analog tuner in a Nikko 715, I'd chance it. It got a good review from the tuner info site. http://www.fmtunerinfo.com/reviewsM-N.html
Make him an offer and see where it goes. I've bought some great tuners for less.

Good price and nice sounding tuner. Been a while since I worked on one. Kind of pain. Did a lot of packing into a narrow tuner, with boards sandwiched. The audio output is very similar to the Sansui TU-9900 and sounds good. Don't remember much at this point. Kind of a middling tuner and one I've never really desired to own.

I use one as a daily driver. Good performer, and very user-friendly in my perspective. That includes being trouble-free, and also quite straightforward to align if I ever think it needs it again.

Cheers,

hazix

I bought one a few years back for cheap. It's a great sounding tuner and can pull in the stations quite well. They are pretty good tuners. But mine is beat all to hell. It looks like drunken Roadies dragged it from venue to venue for years. So, I've been keeping an eye out for another one.

Last week, I picked up a Nikko stack. A Alpha III amp, a Beta II preamp and a Gamma V tuner. It's even better than a Gamma I and I'm very happy with it. I think the Gamma I and V are considered Nikko's best tuners they ever made.

$80 seems like a fair price. Although, if you look hard enough, you may get lucky and find a better deal, but you won't be getting ripped off at that price.

Last edited:
Better? Yes. Way better? Probably not. I think the V is a 6 gang tuner and the I is a 5 gang tuner. Both of them are very good, but you would expect the V to be slightly better, as far as selectivity and sensitivity is concerned. As someone has already said, the Gamma I sounds similar to a Sansui TU-9900 and the Sansui is no slouch. I have never heard a Sansui TU-9900 so I'll take his word.

The Gamma V is a early digital tuner. It does lack some convienicies that later digital tuners have. It is kind of limited to only 6 presets. And if you unplug it, it'll lose those presets. If you just turn it off, those presets will remain. It also has a main power switch, along with an attenuator mounted on the back of it. I don't think it has a battery or supercap back up. The search function could also be a little bit more robust. But when you look past that and listen to it, I think you'll find it to be very excellent sounding and have excellent selectivity and sensitivity. They seem to be less common than the Gamma I, so finding one might take longer.

I think you would be happy with either one.

Last edited:
Gamma 1 is a fine sounding tuner but not a DXing rig. Eighty is a little pricey for something of that age so haggling, as ever, is always in order.

Running the Gamma V and the legendary Punker X Sony HD in the office here but if I had a kitchen set up, I'd get the Gamma 1 and run an antenna near the window.

Back
Top Bottom