1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

About to add the PrimaLuna ProLogue 4 to my Luxman CL-40, any advice?

Discussion in 'Tube Audio' started by Warm_tunes, Jul 6, 2018.

1. Warm_tunes

Warm_tunes AK Subscriber Subscriber

Upscale Audio has some killer deals right now on the PL4 and PL5 tube stereo amps. I have always wanted a PrimaLuna amp but was real hesitant to drop the $2-4k on the current Premium line. Turns out you can get a PL4 or PL5 for under a grand right now, so I am hoping it will be everything I've heard it will be!

I'm planning on using my Luxman CL-40 tube preamp on the front of this thing, and I'll be driving Klipsch Forte III speakers. When I called UA, the dude told me I'd be better off with the PL4 as the PL5 can sound a little harsh with horn loaded speakers like the Klipsch Heritage line.

Aside from owning the CL-40 for about a month now, I know absolutely nothing about tubes. I am kind of hoping the stock tubes will get me the sound I'm looking for. Anyone driving one of these with a tube preamp that has any advice on optimizing the sound, and as a tube noob is there anything else I should know to enjoy this setup with minimal tweaking?

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Eminence1963

Eminence1963 Active Member

3. KlipschFan61

KlipschFan61 Smooth Jazzer

I just bought a 4 for my birch boxes.

4. Warm_tunes

Any luck with the new tubes? My P4 arrives tomorrow, I'm hoping it is true that the P4 and stock EL34s will be a better match than what you've seen with the P5 and your Heresy IIIs. I also own a pair of HIIIs and I do think the Forte IIIs are a little more mellow on the top-mids, so my fingers are crossed! Good luck with your gear, that has to be frustrating!

5. Warm_tunes

Have you received it yet? If so what are your early impressions?

6. Eminence1963

Eminence1963 Active Member

Its all a project:bigok:

Warm_tunes likes this.

Please register to disable this ad.