About to add the PrimaLuna ProLogue 4 to my Luxman CL-40, any advice?

Warm_tunes

Upscale Audio has some killer deals right now on the PL4 and PL5 tube stereo amps. I have always wanted a PrimaLuna amp but was real hesitant to drop the $2-4k on the current Premium line. Turns out you can get a PL4 or PL5 for under a grand right now, so I am hoping it will be everything I've heard it will be!

I'm planning on using my Luxman CL-40 tube preamp on the front of this thing, and I'll be driving Klipsch Forte III speakers. When I called UA, the dude told me I'd be better off with the PL4 as the PL5 can sound a little harsh with horn loaded speakers like the Klipsch Heritage line.

Aside from owning the CL-40 for about a month now, I know absolutely nothing about tubes. I am kind of hoping the stock tubes will get me the sound I'm looking for. Anyone driving one of these with a tube preamp that has any advice on optimizing the sound, and as a tube noob is there anything else I should know to enjoy this setup with minimal tweaking?

Read my review http://audiokarma.org/forums/index....ologue-five-soon-to-be-in-the-house.817566/on the PL5. Its harsh with my Heresy III's stock. Still till this day trying to get it sorted out.
Any luck with the new tubes? My P4 arrives tomorrow, I'm hoping it is true that the P4 and stock EL34s will be a better match than what you've seen with the P5 and your Heresy IIIs. I also own a pair of HIIIs and I do think the Forte IIIs are a little more mellow on the top-mids, so my fingers are crossed! Good luck with your gear, that has to be frustrating!

Any luck with the new tubes? My P4 arrives tomorrow, I'm hoping it is true that the P4 and stock EL34s will be a better match than what you've seen with the P5 and your Heresy IIIs. I also own a pair of HIIIs and I do think the Forte IIIs are a little more mellow on the top-mids, so my fingers are crossed! Good luck with your gear, that has to be frustrating!
Its all a project:bigok:

Back
Top Bottom