AC adapter plug short?

brad44

Not audio related per say...

The plug on laptop battery charger (19v side of ac adapter) was intermittent. I cut and resoldered the connection, (2 wires like coax, outer to barrel of plug, insulated to center)...

The plug was real mangled but I got it resoldered and working.

What would occur if the two wires shorted to each other?

Not audio related per say...

The plug on laptop battery charger (19v side of ac adapter) was intermittent. I cut and resoldered the connection, (2 wires like coax, outer to barrel of plug, insulated to center)...

The plug was real mangled but I got it resoldered and working.

What would occur if the two wires shorted to each other?

It could ruin your laptop power supply, and maybe even damage the laptop. If you're worried about the quality of the connection you made, take it apart and do a better job. If you're worried that it could have shorted in the past, but it's fine now, well, if it works, stop worrying and just use it.

Then again, I've had laptops rigged up with bent paper clips soldered to the power supply cable for months on end. Compaq made some really crappy input connectors in the early 2000s, and I did some really brutal hack jobs to keep my computer going, when it would intermittently cut out, and I had work to do.

My connection is as good as its going to get.

As long as a short wouldnt spark, burn my legs or trip a circuit breaker Im ok with my hack job until a new one from Shanghai gets here.

Thanks N8 but its a Toshiba (barely hanging on).....I splurged already on a $5.85 adapter (included shipping)....

Back
Top Bottom