AC system over-charged and compressor cycling on-off at engine idle ??

There are two readings pictured, one with compressor running and the other with compressor not running (pics are labelled).

And yes, I have done further testing as suggested by willyrover. I believe the fan motor is indeed bad. With the connector removed from the fan, I am getting approx 14.2 VDC across the two conductors in the connector when the AC is on, and no voltage when AC is off. Ground tests good as well. And finally, there is no continuity when I test across the two prongs on the fan motor itself.

RockAuto...here I come....

Great troubleshooting help everyone :thumbsup:

I was under the impression it had been recharged recently so yes the fan would do that with heat build up in the condenser. Glad it's going to be a reasonably easy fix for you.

The wording of my title and original post may have been misleading. Should have said "low-side reading high pressure". I thought it was overcharged from the last time it was worked on.

Getting that fan assembly out won't be a picnic exactly. Not much room to work and everything is tightly packed. But hopefully there is no damage to the compressor or other AC system parts. Fingers crossed on that one...

Fixed!!

I replaced the cooling fan assembly with a replacement from RockAuto.com, $60 shipped. AC now works as it should, pressure reads normal, and compressor is not cycling on-off.

Eric H called it first!

And thanks again to everyone who helped me sort this one out :thumbsup: Sure is a lot easier learning and troubleshooting something new with input from those with more experience and knowledge

DSC09482  fan replaced, compressor on .JPG

Back
Top Bottom