ACCENTS...do you dig them?/hate them, copy them...?

Often wondered why the southern accents below the Dixie Line often make a two syllable word out of a one syllable word like "here- heyar", "there- theyere".

No idea why. At my high school alma mater, Science Hill, the cheerleaders would cheer "Science" as one syllable and "Hill" as two.

I moved to this area from South Dakota when I was 10, and can switch in and out of the local accent most of the time, When I'm tired (tarr'd) I tend toward the local accent.

There's an actress from this area with a distinct Southern accent, who says they tried to get her to talk differently when she was in acting school, but never could. She says nearly every time she's gotten work, it has been because of her accent.

An' den you gots dem Yoopers up Nort der hey, an' so, by gully.

Lol! I don't even know what this means! :eek:

I have officially been in the midwest too long - I got it at first read and I'm not even American.

I recently spent a couple of months in Duluth and ran into several "Finlanders".

Did you ask them what part of Minnesota Finland was in? : )

Finland is about 2 hours north of D'loot, a few miles in from the lake. Took my sister up to the north shore some years ago. Upon leaving the general store in Tofte (halfway between civilization and the border) after interacting with a couple of locals, my sister (English) asked my wife (Minnesotan) what country they were from.

Ever wonder how the secondary language accents carry over into English, so you can recognize what country that they come from?:idea:

The Italian/German/ Scottish/Irish/Spanish origins are easy to determine and mimic, but the accents from the Slavic/Scandinavian/Oriental ones can be tricky. However, some comedians can do them well.

Q

Well played.
Rusty Shackleford says hi.
ROTF!
My alias is Mick Mikamire. That's M-i-k-a-m-i-r-e, Mikamire.
Some obscure NFL player from the 70s or 80s. Can't remember what team but I've had that name memorized for all these years.
Its come in handy too.

ROTF!
My alias is Mick Mikamire. That's M-i-k-a-m-i-r-e, Mikamire.
Some obscure NFL player from the 70s or 80s. Can't remember what team but I've had that name memorized for all these years.
Its come in handy too.
That's awesome!

I don't go by Rusty, but I nicknamed my last vehicle, a rusting Ford Explorer, Rusty Shackleford. Just took it the wrecker a month ago, actually.

Years ago I was reading the paper, and one of reader comments was by a guy who went by Rusty Shackleford. I think I choked on my coffee when I read it.
Turns out he's still commenting on their articles, it's just as an online thing now, and the paper has no clue.
Check this out. On the web he goes by his alias "AdmiralRusty".:rflmao:

https://www.peekyou.com/rusty_shackleford/376810143

Parody of an accent. BTW... I LIVE in Virginia. They have about 8-10 variations of accents. Western VA, along the Blue Ride, and Norfolk, and Richmond, Northern VA is where I am, Between Richmond and Fredricksburg, Roanoke, and a few other locality accents. All light southern accents. Richmond almost sounds a little like Baltimore.

Read a few Pogo comic strips - the swamp critters had speech that was a combo of an accent parody and clever word play, like referring to Christmas carols as to "slumb down the chimbley of song."

Funny how some from their own neck of the woods consider others who talk with a different accent as for example some from the UK.

Got neighbours who come from the northern part of England whose accent is often difficult to understand and due to their rural area where they came from, and agriculture words/expressions causes further confusion. Anyways, I asked them about how the southern people from the BBC sound to them, and they referred to these announcers as speaking in "Uppity" accents. To my way of thinking, this still indicates that there's class distinction that takes place even today's world based on the way you talk.

Q

While at the bar the other night, I overheard three very hefty women talking.
Their accent appeared to be Scottish, so I approached and asked, "Hello, are you three lassies from Scotland?"
One of them angrily screeched, "It's Wales, Wales you bloody idiot!"
So I apologized and replied, "I am so sorry. Are you three whales from Scotland?"
And that's the last thing I remember....

While at the bar the other night, I overheard three very hefty women talking.
Their accent appeared to be Scottish, so I approached and asked, "Hello, are you three lassies from Scotland?"
One of them angrily screeched, "It's Wales, Wales you bloody idiot!"
So I apologized and replied, "I am so sorry. Are you three whales from Scotland?"
And that's the last thing I remember....

You were lucky to have come out it alive, m'8!:D

Q

Back
Top Bottom