Accessing pots on Kenwood KR-5600

hazen

I'm a noob/amateur trying to Deoxit the volume pot in my KR-5600 but I can't get at it. I've opened up the top of the case but can't access it. I'm wondering if I should be going in through the bottom instead? That way looks a lot more complex in terms of disassembly so wanted to make sure it was the way to go before I attempted it.

Anyone have experience with this or a similar late 70s Kenwood? Or can you just let me know if going through the bottom is ever a normal thing at all!? Thanks!

Discharge the mains caps. shoot pics if not sure what is what. Not much online about this unit so no chassis views.

Service manual and free to join if you don't have it. However SM is just a schematic (good one) but has no exploded view of chassis.
https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/kenwood/kr-5600.shtml

Take off bottom end. It might have a few nuts behind the knobs? But will note those soft buttons under the dial I would not touch. if sticky it's the button faces have clogged up but the soft buttons are contacts not switches per springs etc.. just single contacts like a remote. I would not shoot deox or anything into them if you could get to them.

Last edited:
Discharge the mains caps. shoot pics if not sure what is what. Not much online about this unit so no chassis views.

Service manual and free to join if you don't have it. However SM is just a schematic (good one) but has no exploded view of chassis.
https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/kenwood/kr-5600.shtml

Take off bottom end. It might have a few nuts behind the knobs? But will note those soft buttons under the dial I would not touch. if sticky it's the button faces have clogged up but the soft buttons are contacts not switches per springs etc.. just single contacts like a remote. I would not shoot deox or anything into them if you could get to them.

Thanks for the info, Binkman.

So it wouldn't be unorthodox/dangerous/stupid to take off the bottom panel? I can't even SEE the pots from the top (the tuning mechanism and a few other things are above it and cutting off access/view) so I assume going from below is the only way. It's really just the volume pot I need to get at and is all I'd deox (miraculously, everything else is working o.k. right now!)

Actually, I just lied! I can juuuust see ONE pot—Bass—but not the little square hole to squirt into. So I'm hoping the hole is underneath them!

Hazen,

I just finished deoxing my KR-5600 a few weeks ago. In order to gain access I had to remove the face plate. Even with the face plate removed you will need to insert the spray tube through small holes that are adjacent to the bass, treble and volume knobs.

Hazen,

I just finished deoxing my KR-5600 a few weeks ago. In order to gain access I had to remove the face plate. Even with the face plate removed you will need to insert the spray tube through small holes that are adjacent to the bass, treble and volume knobs.

AAAAH! That is the answer! Thank you SO much Cuppy! I'm going to take a look at it tonight. I may get stuck figuring out how to get the faceplate off without screwing everything up, in which case I'll come whimpering back here. But I really appreciate the info!

Back
Top Bottom