Accuphase E-202 vs Kenwood Model 600

Discussion in 'Kenwood-Trio/Kensonic-Accuphase' started by Almonds, Jan 19, 2018.

1. Almonds

Almonds AK Subscriber Subscriber

So, last month I posted the question Kenwood KA-9100 vs Accuphase E-202 and was told that the Accuphase is an upgrade over the Kenwood KA-9100.

Since then, I've been looking to procure an E-202, but I stumbled upon some writings about the Kenwood Model 600. So...

Which is a nicer integrated? E202 or Model 600?

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Almonds

Thanks for the help.

I'm looking for opinions from people who have had experience with both. A significant number of the posts on this forum are of that very nature.

Why did you have to chime in if you don't have anything useful to add?

Alobar and MarZutra like this.
  3. gort69

gort69 AK Subscriber Subscriber

4. cnyel1967

cnyel1967 AK Subscriber Subscriber

I've had both....the Kenwood 600 is part of their very well regarded TOTL Supreme series and the 500, 600 and 700M are at the top of Kenwood's ladder. Accuphase was started by some ex-Kenwood engineers who took Accuphase to the next level and that's where the P300 and E202 got their start. Both the 600 and E202 are very solid amps and personally I don't think you can go wrong with either. The 600 or any of the Supreme series will likely be little harder to find in good condition. Good luck!

unfairlane, Alobar and Almonds like this.
  5. Almonds

thanks!

6. Almonds

It seems crazy, but I might have to try to get one of each and see how I like them in an A/B test.

It seems like the camps are divided on this one.

I gotta say, I like the looks of the E-202 with the meters better. I wish the 600 had 'em

7. llwhtt

llwhtt Super Member

I would choose the Accuphase just on the build quality alone. I've repaired a couple E-202s and the feel of the switches and knobs is just beautiful if you're into type of thing. They also sound good. I don't have any opinion on the Kenwood as I've never seen one but seriously doubt it can touch the Accuphase with regards to build quality.

Craig

8. SoCal Sam

SoCal Sam Lunatic Member

Had both, still have the E-202. A previous poster pretty much nailed them. Both are excellent but for different reasons. The 600 is a brute in a tuxedo. Dual transformer with plenty of heft but cultured sounding. The matching 600T tuner is a real gem. The E-202 is one of the few models to get a mention in Wikipedia. Damping Factor switch on back panel means that horns can be played without shrill fatigue setting in. IME, the E-202 has a decent serving of tube sound. It will not be mistaken for a tube amp but it does have a little flavor which I think is a result of the low DF which is similar to tubes.

Almonds likes this.
  9. Almonds

I'm definitely into that type of thing! I love the feel of the switches and other controls on my KA-9100.

I think 70's electronics understood what Steve Jobs understood years later; that the whole experience is important.

I enjoy my stereo even before I turn it on, I enjoy it when I'm flipping the switch to turn it on, and I enjoy it once the sound starts pouring out!

Crammit likes this.
  10. Almonds

very interesting about the damping factor. I'm going to have to check out an E-202.

11. llwhtt

llwhtt Super Member

I have a KA-9100 sitting here and there is NO comparison with regards to the feel of the knobs and switches. The Accuphase controls have a very silky feel to them, if you like the KA you'll love the Accuphase.

Craig

Almonds likes this.

12. Blue Shadow

Blue Shadow I gotta get me a new title

I would think that the world class L-0gear, amps, 5,6,7,8,9M and turntable D and T tuner would be equal or better most Accuphase gear of the era. But those are separates not an integrated which is this discussion.

Having owned a KT-7000, early top Kenwood tuner, I see the family resemblance of the Accuphase gear. The guys that started it wanted to be higher end than Kenwood and I believe they accomplished that overall. The L-0 Kenwood gear were statement pieces for sound quality.

That is a good way to describe the amp. Kenwood, one of the best tuner manufacturers, did a great job with many top tuners and I would expect the 600T to be excellent.

13. quadmatrix82

quadmatrix82 Active Member

The accuphase is superb it’s built like a battle ship the relays are no longer available so this can be problematic whichever option you guy refurb then properly so you know how it really sounds

14. corbin

corbin Active Member

I've searched and searched and still haven't seen a direct comparison between the E202 and Supreme 500/600 by someone who has both. Wondering how either would compare with STR-6060FW.

15. dpdatl

dpdatl AK Subscriber Subscriber

It can and does. Until you touch a Supreme and use the switches and knobs you do not understand the physical quality of this amplifier.

16. theophile

theophile Pheasant Plucker. Subscriber

Three Japanese engineers establish a company. They name it Trio to reflect the nature of the arrangement. Down the road Trio adopts the name Kenwood for business outside of Japan and eventually the global brand became Kenwood. When the 3 Japanese engineers were designing the Trio Supreme Series there were divisions about the design between the 3 gentlemen. One of them thought that the Supreme Series either didn't go far enough toward extreme high fidelity or that the entire Kenwood range should be built to the Supreme standard or both. He felt that they knew how to make better components than they were allowing themselves to make up to that time.

The solution tells tells you that these men didn't have a rift between them. The solution was that Trio establishes a new coporation named Kensonic. Kensonic would initially be majority owned by Trio/Kenwood. The establishment of Kensonic would enable designs to be put forward which embodied the best practices of the time. Trio would continue with their lines ranging from budget to high end. Kensonic was only high end, no budget components.

Look at who survived: Kensonic(Accuphase). What is left of Kenwood? Earbud headphones and car audio? That lone member of the trio was the one who had the game figured out. Never compromise and your brand won't be expected to and will be respected for never compromising.

Ds2000 likes this.

17. KentTeffeteller

KentTeffeteller Gimpus Stereophilus!

You forgot Land/Mobile two way radio, and amateur radio equipment. Two way radio is a big line of business for Kenwood, then and now. And they're still manufacturing two way radio gear (one of the big 3 Japanese two way radio firms, the other two being Icom and Yaesu Musen)

18. theophile

theophile Pheasant Plucker. Subscriber

I am aware of that but as a hi-fi entity they are bankrupt.