Accuphase P-300S Catastrophe

Discussion in 'Kenwood-Trio/Kensonic-Accuphase' started by C0deXeus, Aug 23, 2018.

1. C0deXeus

C0deXeus Active Member

Long story short...
    A few months ago I bought the P-300S from Hifido Junk Shop. Today I spent some time to clear it from the customs. Brought it back to my room for inspection. The condition is so bad that I misjudged from pictures....

IMG_20180823_182818.jpg IMG_20180823_182829.jpg IMG_20180823_182836.jpg
    From the pictures it may not seem bad...
    Lacking one knob and left panel got knocked real bad. Not caused by courier. HiFiDo packed it up real nice. The front is full of scratches dents and dirts. Upon further disassembly I found the black cover missing some stuffs as well. There's only a spring at the right. And left is empty. My instinct tells me something is missing.

IMG_20180823_184326.jpg
    All the screws are messed up as well. This is one of the examples. The mounting hole does not align at the bottom of faceplate. And quite a lot of missing screws as well.

IMG_20180823_181424.jpg IMG_20180823_174212.jpg IMG_20180823_173114.jpg IMG_20180823_172130.jpg
    Good news is that the boards seem original without any signs of repair.

IMG_20180823_172848.jpg
    Something is wrong with this speaker pot. I wonder where the wire being cut goes to?

IMG_20180823_170902.jpg
    Close view of right panel damage.

There are much more damages. But I am limited to post 10 pictures per post. Perhaps I'll post more in the morning.

The Japanese always treasure their gears but I wonder who will damage this wonderful piece so badly. The worst I have seen in so many years. I thought of giving it up. The restoration is PITA but then it seems to be a waste.

Perhaps I should start with the cosmetics first?

Please register to disable this ad.

2. C0deXeus

C0deXeus Active Member

Is there anyone making or selling the P-300S faceplate? I started to suspect it maybe partially bent causing the screw not to align with hole. When I first received, two screws on the top are holding it, none at the bottom. A better looking one will definitely give it a better look as well :)

3. SoCal Sam

SoCal Sam Lunatic Member

Poor thing. It must have been dropped hard to cause that damage.

4. EngineerNate

EngineerNate AK Subscriber Subscriber

That's got "fell from a height" written all over it.

Roadrash likes this.
  5. nj pheonix

nj pheonix AK Subscriber Subscriber

He'll hath no fury like a woman scorned.
    There was a thread about a stack of mcintosh gear that " fell off a table".
    IIRC, soon to be Mrs. was taking out wrath on soon to be ex hubby's toys.

6. C0deXeus

C0deXeus Active Member

Fuse lamps are missing as well. No wonder description says 'meter lights not lit'
    IMG_20180823_172917.jpg

Two wires are being cut and connected together using shrink tubes. Around the upper left corner something green you'll see.
    IMG_20180823_172130.jpg

I guess the owner never liked the 'Accuphase Sound', eh? :D
    Now its fate is on my hands, whether sell it as a parts unit or restore it to former glory. It's simply a mess everywhere.

7. quadmatrix82

quadmatrix82 Active Member

Hopefully you can save it good news if it hasn’t been worked on much you can restore it to sound great and wait for cosmetics

8. C0deXeus

C0deXeus Active Member

9. slimecity

slimecity Super Member

I would personally try to get it working first, before worrying about cosmetic issues (but thats just me). After all - you can get it as pretty as you like, but it still may not work.

Accuphase service data is almost impossible to find - you will need the P300 service manual - it will for the most part match your machine.

I would start by checking operation - build a DBT and fire it up under say, a 100W bulb. Then check if there is voltage coming thru the VU bulb holders - if the protect circuit is working, the bulbs flash. You need to get the bulbs to stop flashing for the protect circuit to engage.

I rebuilt one of these with the help of echowars, although some say he hasnt been seen around these parts lately. Do a search for relevant P300 threads to get an idea of the things that go wrong with these. One is the analog IC in the protect circuit, the other is several transistors in the amp boards need to be replaced. You may have other issues too.

10. rcs16

rcs16 Super Member

p300 service manual is avail at hifiengine.com.

slimecity likes this.
  11. C0deXeus

C0deXeus Active Member

It's been a few days thinking what I'm supposed to do with it... I decided to put it up for sale again since most of the time is occupied by studies and work. Again, thanks for your advice. Hopefully it goes to another person with professional expertise.

slimecity likes this.