Accuphase T-109 on the BAY

So..... are you gonna buy it? It's only fitting that you do. Then we could all come over to your house to hear one of the best. And that is really what most of us need to do. IMO (or at least for me) I don't think we all need to own the best but it would be nice to hear one of the top rated tuners to know what all the fuss is about.

I would love to grab the 109 but it's way out of my price range. :sigh: The 109V, which must be an improvement on this 109, is top rated on fmtunerinfo site by a wide margin over the L-02T and TU-X1. I've talked with a guy who had a 109 upgraded by Joseph Chow who raves about the improvement, even though Chow likes the T100 better.

I did have a chance to own the T-108 a few months back, but wasn't impressed with the sonics, even after a spin at the Accuphase repair plant out west. A tad thin overall, though a VERY pretty face on the rack. I would put it second after the T100 I've owned for years. There's just something about Accuphase's first tuner that warms my heart. :)

Dana

Last edited:
Danamc said:
I would love to grab the 109 but it's way out of my price range. :sigh: The 109V, which must be an improvement on this 109, is top rated on fmtunerinfo site by a wide margin over the L-02T and TU-X1. I've talked with a guy who had a 109 upgraded by Joseph Chow who raves about the improvement, even though Chow likes the T100 better.

I did have a chance to own the T-108 a few months back, but wasn't impressed with the sonics, even after a spin at the Accuphase repair plant out west. A tad thin overall, though a VERY pretty face on the rack. I would put it second after the T100 I've owned for years. There's just something about Accuphase's first tuner that warms my heart. :)

Dana
dana,

are you referring to "joebone", who posted the mod results of his t109 over on joseph chow's website? i have also had email chat w/him about his tuna. he really does like it.

i really hope that agon t109 gets its price. it will yust mean that *my* chow-modded t109 will *really* get a good price if/when i decide to sell. :D

but, before anyone makes an offer on that japan t109, i would first werify that it is a usa-spec tuna, w/88-108mhz tuning band, instead of the japan-spec 76-90mhz band. the only way i was able to afford my t109 is cuz i bought it on ebay, knowing it was japan-spec. therefore, it was priced way under normal market. i took a big risk - before i bid, i asked joseph chow about it, & he said he said he *thought* he could convert it. well, he *was* able to, but only because he knew someone in japan that could sneak him the accuphase module needed to do the conwersion. accuphase was extremely opposed to getting this thing conwerted - they absolutely refused to have anything to do w/me or mr chow when we approached them directly for the parts. my tuna sat at joseph's shop for almost a year, waiting for his connection to come up w/the right part.

in any ewent, it was certainly worth the wait, as this really is the best i have heard. i never heard a stock iteration, so i can't make any statements as to how the service & mods improved things. re: the t109v reviewed on the tic, it is my understanding that the particular t109v was a show sample, that was gone over by accuphase to ensure everything was spot-on. this could account for its exemplary shootout performance, as tunas are more sensitive to being in 100% proper alignment than are other electronics. also, i really question that the t109v is better than the top kenwood & sansui by a "wide margin" - in my experience, all the top tunas are in actuality, really quite close to each other in their sonic performance. even jim rivers will tell you this, careful reading of his shootouts will make it clear that he could be happy long-term w/many of the tunas he's reviewed. check out what he said about the pioneer f-91, which presently ranks 45th on his list. (which i also owned, & also found to be an excellent performer.):

"...In a large room, in a big sound system, I might choose this Pioneer over the L-02T..."

but, i am torn as to whether or not i should keep my t109, as it's really only a tiny bit better than my other faves. not sure it's really worth the premium, & i could certainly use the cash to fund other endeavors. :scratch2: but, it *is* the best, & i'm a tunaholic! oh, what to do! perhaps sell it & use the proceeds to mod my t100? ;) mr chow has also told me he prefers the t100/t101's to the digital accuphase tunas. i have not yet done a direct a-b between t100 & modded t109 to have an opinion about 'em. too busy also playing w/a recently acquired denon tu-850, & a scott 310d, which sounds mitey-fine, when connected to my fisher mpx100. :D the scott/fisher combo, in preliminary comparisons to my t100, also recently acquired, actually seems to be an even match. i could actually have the funds to get the t100 modded, and the scott 310d/fisher mpx100 combo modded, & still have funds left over, if i sell my t109. hmmm... :scratch2:

doug s., so many tunas, so little time

Question

Can the T-109 or 109v still be purchased new? If not, what iteration of tuner does Accuphase currently sell? Not that I could afford one, just curious.

I own the T-109v tested in the TIC shootout with the L-02T. It is the most impressive tuner I have ever had in my system which has included a well-modded KT-8300, a modded Accuphase T-100 and original T-101. My 11 year-old daughter, who has evaluated all these with me said that the 109v sounded "so much more fuller" than the others. Incredible soundstage and depth.

Regarding the "tweaked model" theory, I was told that at the show where this tuner was displayed, there was no antenna even brought by the distributor because they knew there would be no way to obtain a signal in the convention center. I have yet to hear it, but the new T-1000 is supposed to be even better than the T-109v. I really do not know how much better it could get, because the 109v is truly amazing.

I do not have any experience with the 109, but I would assume it wouldn't be too far behind the 109v.

pioneering said:
I own the T-109v tested in the TIC shootout with the L-02T. It is the most impressive tuner I have ever had in my system which has included a well-modded KT-8300, a modded Accuphase T-100 and original T-101. My 11 year-old daughter, who has evaluated all these with me said that the 109v sounded "so much more fuller" than the others. Incredible soundstage and depth.

Regarding the "tweaked model" theory, I was told that at the show where this tuner was displayed, there was no antenna even brought by the distributor because they knew there would be no way to obtain a signal in the convention center. I have yet to hear it, but the new T-1000 is supposed to be even better than the T-109v. I really do not know how much better it could get, because the 109v is truly amazing.

I do not have any experience with the 109, but I would assume it wouldn't be too far behind the 109v.

hi,

interesting info, for sure! :) it is in the soundstaging dept, where my modded t109 has its small adwantage over its competition.

i, too, wonder how much better it could get, w/the t1000. of course, it's not something i'm gonna check out, due to cost! in your case, i'd suggest sending your t109v out to joseph chow may be a better inwestment, but if ya had the $$$, ya could yust pony up for the t100, & have *it* sent out for mods! :D

best,

doug s.

Okay, okay; in surfacing after a long lay-off on the tuner websites I see my name, so I've gotta wade in!

Yes, I have a T-109 modded by Joseph Chow, and I've kept it instead of an Accuphase T-100, Kenwood 8300, Philips 673, Tandberg 3001A, Sansui 9900, Mac MR 78, Denon TU-850, Meridian 504, Yamaha TX-1000 and a group of lesser - but still rewarding - tuners.

Chow's work seemed to bring out even more of this tuner's capacity to resolve micro detail, and also to provide a bit more oomph around the middle and upper middle. I run it balanced, (into accuphase pre-amp, and along with an accuphase CD player-my affection for this unit spurred me to go all accuphase except for my Gamut D-100.III power amp, also running balanced), all into a pair of Quad 63's along with a modest REL subwoofer, and am very, very happy.

Is it the greatest tuner? Probably not. A lot of this depends on your tastes, reception needs, the rest of your system and your room. The T-100 had a majesty and bigness to it that I really liked, and which the T-109 lacks. I thought of having the T-100 modded by Chow and having a taste-off, but ultimately concluded that the utility of the presets (living in Los Angeles, I have a pretty vibrant radio market), particulary with the wife and child, was a good thing, and I do believe the T-109 provides more resolution -- although I will always wonder how much further the T-100 could go that way, with work). Plus, Mr. Chow and his associate Victor Comerchero seemed to think an upgraded T-100 would be step sideways, so I'm intrigued to see Doug S. suggesting these guys now feel otherwise! I also greatly dug the Sansui, and believe that with work, it would have rivaled these two. (I was a bit less convinced by the 3001A and 673, but for reasons that are not necesarily sonic). But the T109 had the best balance of virtues - not as big or warm as the Meridian or T-100, not quite the imaging champ that is a Nakamichi 430, not quite as incisive and time-accurate as a Luxman T-12 (only a hair better than the 109 in this regard), but overall among the very best I was able to obtain in terms of timbre, time, soundstaging/imaging and perhaps the very best in micro-resolution of timbral, time and dynamic gradations. Add in the balanced capability, the build quality and user convenience...how could I choose otherwise? I would have like a bit more of that T-100 timbral richness, but that's the decsion I made, and I'm sticking to it...for now!

And I can't speak to the T109V or the Accuphase T-1000, but based on all reports and a discussion with Mr. Chow re the T109V, I expect they are even better still.

And while I've now sold off almost everything else, I've kept the Luxman T-12, largely out of affection for it having first shown me that some number of tuners could provide more music than a MAC MR-78. Maybe I'll get this one modded by Mr. Chow...

Two last notes - the Meridian 504 was a marvelous tuner in all respects but for that last bit of resolution - its a great, great piece! And the Yamaha TX-1000 reflects the same balance of virtues as the T-109 (and some niftier DX action to boot), albeit with just a bit flatter, less-colorful presentation. I've kept that one for my office!

Back
Top Bottom