Acoustat electrostatic speaker setup, worth it?

Figit090

I'm talking to the owner of a pair of acoustat speakers with medallion transformers, she said they were model mk121 but I don't know the panel model. It has the lighter wood finish bottom (earlier model) and black cloth. Speaker dimensions are 28"x58". I don't know what amp she has or if she'll sell that but I'd run them with a NAD 7155 amp or store them until I have means to power them.

She's asking $200 which seems good by my search results, but there isn't much on these and I'm new to electrostatic speakers. I heard and was impressed by a pair of magnepans and I've always been intrigued to try flat panel speakers. She's moving and may work with me on price, should I give them a go?

My current setup is random, I have a few pairs of ADS speakers and KEF q100 bookshelves that I love, but when I saw these refrigerator-size speakers hit local classifieds...I couldn't help but consider them.

Oh yeah, they're good, and for that price, run!

Really good. MK-121 is the step-up transformer base that was used on several models, which differed mostly by the number of panels (2, 3, or 4). From the size, these are probably either Acoustat IIs (no conventional woofer), or Spectra 11s (conventional woofer).

They need 3' of room around them, back and sides. You'll benefit from spending time to move/listen/move/listen....until you find yourself transfixed.

The NAD 7155 is underpowered for them in all but the smallest room (the larger models were more efficient, and played deeper); it would make a dandy preamp to mate with a Hafler DH-200 or DH-500.

They are nice speakers, but the electronics will have to be gone through at this age, most likely. Very narrow sweet spot and will need a sub woofer.

200.00 sounds good for an Electrostatic,they usually are/were priced on the high end.
My Dad had Quad 57's,and Acoustat Model 4's and I love the way E's sound.

The Model 4's were great,but needed a large room,placement is important and the model 4's had a small sweet spot,my Dad had his set up straight up and down,and if you stood up you would loose top end,this model was
adjustable,they had a tilt feature so you could modify the dispersion of the high end somewhat.

I love the detail , accuracy and smooth high end on these type speakers,I would think if they are in good working and cosmetic condition you could resell them for at least that if you wanted or needed to.

Oh yeah, they're good, and for that price, run!

Really good. MK-121 is the step-up transformer base that was used on several models, which differed mostly by the number of panels (2, 3, or 4). From the size, these are probably either Acoustat IIs (no conventional woofer), or Spectra 11s (conventional woofer).

They need 3' of room around them, back and sides. You'll benefit from spending time to move/listen/move/listen....until you find yourself transfixed.

The NAD 7155 is underpowered for them in all but the smallest room (the larger models were more efficient, and played deeper); it would make a dandy preamp to mate with a Hafler DH-200 or DH-500.

She had listed a "Yamaha preamp" before taking down her ad, how much power should I give them? Maybe talk to her about buying the amp (if it's actually an amp and not a pre)? She may have mentioned an amp made by acoustat...if so I'll try to get it. She's not into audio seriously so her listing was vague.

They are nice speakers, but the electronics will have to be gone through at this age, most likely. Very narrow sweet spot and will need a sub woofer.

I noticed the be directional nature of the magnepans or whatever it was I tried, I think that will be ok. How much money are we talking if I get the caps and parts to install myself?

200.00 sounds good for an Electrostatic,they usually are/were priced on the high end.
My Dad had Quad 57's,and Acoustat Model 4's and I love the way E's sound.

The Model 4's were great,but needed a large room,placement is important and the model 4's had a small sweet spot,my Dad had his set up straight up and down,and if you stood up you would loose top end,this model was
adjustable,they had a tilt feature so you could modify the dispersion of the high end somewhat.

I love the detail , accuracy and smooth high end on these type speakers,I would think if they are in good working and cosmetic condition you could resell them for at least that if you wanted or needed to.

Thanks, there's a local Craigslist ad wanting a set so I imagine I could find a buyer if I can't use them or store them. My listening space is literally full of speakers, this is a huge stretch for me but I feel like deals such as this will be rare and I can't see myself spending more than $200 to try them.

By dimensions & transformer model they are Acoustat Model Two. A very good price, even if they need some cosmetics... Basically, the panels are nearly bullet proof, and electronics are simple to repair if needed - only the transformer it's self is costly.

Surprising bass, for a relatively small panel - this was the smallest model Acoustat offered without a cone woofer, and they fit in most "normal sized" listening rooms!

By dimensions & transformer model they are Acoustat Model Two. A very good price, even if they need some cosmetics... Basically, the panels are nearly bullet proof, and electronics are simple to repair if needed - only the transformer it's self is costly.

Surprising bass, for a relatively small panel - this was the smallest model Acoustat offered without a cone woofer, and they fit in most "normal sized" listening rooms!

The more I read I realize I may not have room to properly place them more than a couple feet from my rear wall, will that kill it?

Would these be good to get for future use of they don't fit my space right now?

How do you compare them to dipole and other conventional cone speakers, are they worth buying to try someday even if they don't like my tight space (with shelves behind the drivers too)

If they're quite an experience over conventional drivers maybe I should just get them.

Very narrow sweet spot and will need a sub woofer.
Hate to differ with my friend Freddymac, but I've had Acoustats and the bass is terrific, never needed a sub. 55 NAD watts is not enough for total bliss — Acoustat made two power amps (and they're great) that put out 120W and 200W. You could pick up a NAD 2155 power amp for small bucks and bridge it with the 7155 for about 120W, plus the famous NAD headroom for the LOUD passages.

You should just grab them. I would, and so would other guys on this thread. You're asking a lot of questions, which are good questions based on internet info, but they'll sound fantastic even if you break a "rule" or two — "a couple feet" from the wall is no problem.

Acoustats go much louder, and deeper, than most electrostatics — I've had the Quad 57's and Quad 63's. Acoustats give a "grand" sound, really like being at a big concert.

Hate to differ with my friend Freddymac, but I've had Acoustats and the bass is terrific, never needed a sub. 55 NAD watts is not enough for total bliss — Acoustat made two power amps (and they're great) that put out 120W and 200W. You could pick up a NAD 2155 power amp for small bucks and bridge it with the 7155 for about 120W, plus the famous NAD headroom for the LOUD passages.

You should just grab them. I would, and so would other guys on this thread. You're asking a lot of questions, which are good questions based on internet info, but they'll sound fantastic even if you break a "rule" or two — "a couple feet" from the wall is no problem.

Acoustats go much louder, and deeper, than most electrostatics — I've had the Quad 57's and Quad 63's. Acoustats give a "grand" sound, really like being at a big concert.

Thanks, that's actually what I needed.
I'm asking a lot because honestly...I have SO MANY SPEAKERS. I like to try new things (they're mostly old things but...you know) and find great speakers for low prices at thrift stores. I currently have a lot of speakers in my room waiting to be picked through, so two refrigerador-sized units was a daunting idea. I have pairs of; ADS L520, ADS L880, ADS model 20, Large Advents, KEF Q100, a a q200c center, acoustic research powered partners, and three sets of bookshelf speakers waiting to be listened to so I can make a good surround set.

Adding two panels five feet tall just sounds absurd, LOL. Gotta downsize I guess!

Thank you for your feedback, I'll test and do my best to get them tomorrow! They may have Acoustat amps there, but I don't remember seeing one in the photos. The speakers looked good, though!

If they have an Acoustat amp, get it. Great amps for any speakers, full rich powerful sound — and designed to handle electrostatics' wicked impedances.

I don't know all the other speakers you list, I've had 3 different ADS models and they were all very good (don't remember the models, it was years ago). As for the KEFs, ARs and other bookshelf speakers — Acoustat is a different league entirely. We're talking HUGE sound and a 3D soundstage you can walk around in.

And if one of the Acoustat amps is included, we're also talking an insanely great deal. If money is tight (and if your money is like my money, it is) sell some other speakers to cover it — even before checking them out if you need to recoup fast. You already know you don't need them all...

I'm talking to the owner of a pair of acoustat speakers with medallion transformers, she said they were model mk121 but I don't know the panel model. It has the lighter wood finish bottom (earlier model) and black cloth. Speaker dimensions are 28"x58". I don't know what amp she has or if she'll sell that but I'd run them with a NAD 7155 amp or store them until I have means to power them.

She's asking $200 which seems good by my search results, but there isn't much on these and I'm new to electrostatic speakers. I heard and was impressed by a pair of magnepans and I've always been intrigued to try flat panel speakers. She's moving and may work with me on price, should I give them a go?

My current setup is random, I have a few pairs of ADS speakers and KEF q100 bookshelves that I love, but when I saw these refrigerator-size speakers hit local classifieds...I couldn't help but consider them.

Those Acoustat's are well worth the asking price. I still kick myself that I passed up a pair of 2+2's (2 of what you're looking at, stacked atop one another) for $500. But, ya' gott'a have money, when you find the Score. Otherwise, it's just the one-that-got-away...! :no:

Also, one of the 1st 'real' systems I ever heard, a high end setup to me, were Acoustat 1+1's and Acoustat electronics. Very clean, clear, fast and detailed. A sweet system.

I took a look at pictures and I think they are model 3! The model 2 looks to skinny. I wish I'd saved the photo she took. Anyway I'm going to see them in an hour. How do I safely transport them? I have a Jetta wagon, I'm hoping they will lie down on their side safely? Rather than on their back, which won't fit, probably.

If they have an Acoustat amp, get it. Great amps for any speakers, full rich powerful sound — and designed to handle electrostatics' wicked impedances.

I don't know all the other speakers you list, I've had 3 different ADS models and they were all very good (don't remember the models, it was years ago). As for the KEFs, ARs and other bookshelf speakers — Acoustat is a different league entirely. We're talking HUGE sound and a 3D soundstage you can walk around in.

And if one of the Acoustat amps is included, we're also talking an insanely great deal. If money is tight (and if your money is like my money, it is) sell some other speakers to cover it — even before checking them out if you need to recoup fast. You already know you don't need them all...

True, I can sell a few for decent profit over what I paid!

Those Acoustat's are well worth the asking price. I still kick myself that I passed up a pair of 2+2's (2 of what you're looking at, stacked atop one another) for $500. But, ya' gott'a have money, when you find the Score. Otherwise, it's just the one-that-got-away...! :no:

Also, one of the 1st 'real' systems I ever heard, a high end setup to me, were Acoustat 1+1's and Acoustat electronics. Very clean, clear, fast and detailed. A sweet system.
woohoo! Hopefully they check out, I'm super excited.

Good decision; if you've never owned planar speakers, you're in for a treat.

There are only a few large Philips screws holding the base and transformer assembly to the panels. Once you remove these, there will be several color coded wires going to the panel that need to be disconnected (they're in matching jacks). Now, you can load the flat panels separately from the base, and you'll have a lot more flexibility.

Be sure you get the "wall-wart" power supplies for both speakers; they're low-voltage AC power supplies (not the usual DC) that get stepped way up in voltage to energize the panels. Without these, you'll have silence.

And if there is an Acoustat power amp, and there's any way you can swing it, do so! It's a great combination!

If the dimensions are accurate those are Model 3s. One of my favorites! As stated above, the Acoustat amps were great with these. One note of caution: If the output on either or both sides is low or distorted do not continue to play them. This indicates that the bias supply has failed and playing them can damage the step-up transformers. Definitely have that bias supply checked. It should measure close to 3kV to be safe, closer to 4kV is better but that usually requires some circuit mods. PM me if you need any help with this.

Dimensions by model for reference:
Model 1: 11" wide
Model 2: 20" wide
Model 3: 28" wide
Model 4: 36" wide

They made the plus series in each. Those were 7'10" tall. The ones in my signature are "4+4s", otherwise known as Model 8s.

Give 'em a listen. You may find the bass to be plenty adequate...

Result: got them! They are in very dusty perhaps never cleaned condition with cat scratch damage to the cloth, but otherwise look pretty good. The wood is ok, and at reasonable volume I didn't hear any distortion. I wasn't familiar with her setup so I didn't want to crank them. Hopefully transporting them flat and sitting that way for a few hours was ok.

Sadly she said her ex had blown the fuses once before, but her honesty and the fact they played well left be hoping the transformer circuits are ok. The transformer cabinets had been opened and it looks like I'll have some refurbishing to do, but they're complete and had a wonderful soundstage.

Her power amp was a Yamaha mx-1 that she wouldn't sell me. I want to offer her $100 for it but she seemed solid in keeping it for her boyfriend for their new home. Should I offer it just go with another amp, perhaps tube?

She also had a California audio labs CD "transport" and a sigma II ... I'm guessing it was a tube preamp?

Good decision; if you've never owned planar speakers, you're in for a treat.

There are only a few large Philips screws holding the base and transformer assembly to the panels. Once you remove these, there will be several color coded wires going to the panel that need to be disconnected (they're in matching jacks). Now, you can load the flat panels separately from the base, and you'll have a lot more flexibility.

Be sure you get the "wall-wart" power supplies for both speakers; they're low-voltage AC power supplies (not the usual DC) that get stepped way up in voltage to energize the panels. Without these, you'll have silence.

And if there is an Acoustat power amp, and there's any way you can swing it, do so! It's a great combination!

Thanks! Turns out there was no wall wart adapter, the transformer units were plugged directly into the wall through an original looking 120v grounded plug.

If the dimensions are accurate those are Model 3s. One of my favorites! As stated above, the Acoustat amps were great with these. One note of caution: If the output on either or both sides is low or distorted do not continue to play them. This indicates that the bias supply has failed and playing them can damage the step-up transformers. Definitely have that bias supply checked. It should measure close to 3kV to be safe, closer to 4kV is better but that usually requires some circuit mods. PM me if you need any help with this.

Dimensions by model for reference:
Model 1: 11" wide
Model 2: 20" wide
Model 3: 28" wide
Model 4: 36" wide

They made the plus series in each. Those were 7'10" tall. The ones in my signature are "4+4s", otherwise known as Model 8s.

Give 'em a listen. You may find the bass to be plenty adequate...

I think the bass was ok and possibly fine once I listen with music I know better. Thanks for your advice! I didn't notice distortion, but I'll PM you for details on checking the transformer circuits without killing myself.

Last edited:
After transport, make sure you plug them back in. They will need to recharge before delivering optimal use. I previously owned a pair of 2+2 with an acoustat amp, the tnt 200 if I recall. They sounded fantastic. I let them go when I needed a speaker more for background music and less critical listening.

Thank you for all your help everyone! My seller-turned-friend sold me the rest of her awesome setup. The acoustat speakers are waiting patiently for me to have time to clean them up, but I have the other components to keep me busy until I find space for the speakers in my listening space (time to sell things).

I am excited more and more as I Google each component, all together I bought:

-Acoustat model 3 pair with medallion transformers
-Yamaha MX-1 Poweramp
-NAD 1600 Preamp
-California Audio Labs Delta-CD transport
-California Audio Labs Sigma II tube analog processor

I can't hardly believe where one sale ad has taken my audio journey.

I'll be posting more ASAP in other forum sections for advice on care and things to check, especially the speakers and power amp. Right now I'm reassembling a Sony 300-disc changer I put new belts in... But I'm so excited to try the new equipment! Every review I read makes me more anxious!
IMG_20171007_161909_044.jpg
IMG_20171005_180526_494.jpg IMG_20171003_130958.jpg

Back
Top Bottom