Acoustat Model 4 with subwoofer

lakegville

Anyone have any experience with these? Are they good speakers? There does not seem to be much information about them out there. I have never owned a pair of electrostatic speakers and was considering them since they are local. Thanks for any input!

Hi Lakegville,
You need to go to DIYaudio site the have a section for that under Speakers. They are a very nice durable speaker.
They like to take up a room, and must be off the wall by 2 to 3 feet, and tilted inward, because they are beamy. I own the two's so I know that more panels will help this a bit. The sub would be the frosting on the cake. The condition of the HV electronics and series of power units will effect the output of these very nice speakers. If you can read all the tweaks they have for them, good luck!

AFAIK there is no subwoofer for Model 4's. In Acoustat terminology Model 4 indicates the speakers are 4 panels wide. Model 4's are sort of rare even for Acoustats. They are full range esl's and have no crossovers.

I've been using various Acoustats as my main speakers since the ~1983. Currently I use two pair for my system.

If you have no experience with planar type speakers be advised they have some specific positioning requirements. They shouldn't be placed close to the front wall. A separation of three feet or more is necessary. OTOH because of their figure eight radiating pattern they are somewhat less sensitive to side wall reflections than conventional speakers.

yes i was just emailing with the seller about the sub. It is a acoustat but he said it is passive? He want's 950 clams for the whole setup.
Are they a good or bad kinda rare? Never heard of a speaker with no crossover?

Last edited:
Full range electrostatics have no crossover.

Acoustat made a passive subwoofer (SPW-1). I have one. It came with my Spectra 22's. AFAIK it was an option only with the Spectra 22 and 33. In any case, the Model 4 came well before the Spectra series. Can you get a picture or at minimum some measurements?

Here is a picture of Spectra 22's with the optional passive subwoofer.

941-ACO-Spectra_2200-P-A01.jpg

Acoustat did offer their passive "cube" sub as a stand alone component, though it was primarily meant for use with the model One, and the others in the "line source" series, such as the 1+1, & 2+2. I can't see much reason to use one on Fours... they produce much more bass, both in terms of volume as well as depth, than those little passive cone subs could ever hope to! In my experience, there is little need for any additional bass on any of the Acoustats with more than 2 panels.

Actually, IME model 4s biggest down side is how they tend towards over powering bass in most normal sized rooms. Because of that, I would suggest you only consider them if you have a pretty large listening room, and don't mind pulling them well out from the back wall. Tube traps, or similar can go a long way in helping calm their bass as well. It's not as though they'll sound awful, just a bit too "warm" to be considered really accurate.

On the up side, with Acoustats, the more panel area the have, the easier they are to drive. I know it sounds counter-intuitive, but because the panels don't have to be driven as hard to energize the room, they don't ask as much of your amplifier. Also, the larger panels present a less reactive load, so don't tend to be "amp eaters" like 1+1s, in particular, can be. I've even run 4s off modest tube amps - though I think they do much better on good solid state (100+wpc), particularly as they do tent towards the warm/bass heavy side anyway, most tube amps only make that worse.

Over all, they are wonderful speakers, and as long as you have a big enough room, I heartily recommend you give them a try... once you go "stat, you'll never look back!

PS, Acoustats are particularly robust, while ime Carvers?... well not so much! You are much more likely to spend time repairing Carver (or Apogee) ribbons than ever needing to fiddle with an Acoustat panel. I'd MUCH rather freshen up power supplies on Acoustats (if needed) than try to source new ribbons

Last edited:
I forgot about that little cube!:dunno:

I almost bought that passive cube sub along with my Model 1's. By then I already had the Spectra 22's and SPW-1. I had built a pair of TL subs and didn't need the SPW-1 for use with the Spectra's. I moved it over to the Model 1's

AFAIK, when new Model 4's were available there was no sub offered from Acoustat. At that time I had a pair of Model 3's which in my room didn't need any reinforcement of the bass area anyway.

I had occasion to contact the factory a "few" years ago. At that time I was told Acoustat had never experienced a panel failure. They told me they'd had some reported power supply failures but no panel failures. Acoustat esl panels are so robust you can soak them in a tub with warm water and dish detergent to clean them.

Back
Top Bottom