Acoustat Sub

sloober

A friend gave me a huge Acoustst sub. It is designed to be used with some electrostats I assume, but can I use it with any speakers? It has the usual inputs and a pair of outputs for the main speakers. Thanks, John

A friend gave me a huge Acoustst sub. It is designed to be used with some electrostats I assume, but can I use it with any speakers? It has the usual inputs and a pair of outputs for the main speakers. Thanks, John

Could you be more specific. How about a picture. I have an Acoustat SPW-1 sub. I may be of assistance.

If it's a SPW1 (and I don't think Acoustat made any other stand-alone sub, in any numbers), then it's got a dual-voice-coil Peerless 10" driver in a sealed box. Pretty effective, but not room-shatteringly loud. Very good sounding, though. Good response to the upper 20s Hz range in-room.

The SPW1 has stereo speaker inputs... I don't think it's got outputs for anything, IIRC.

I checked again. There are inputs, but no outputs. I will post a photo tonight. They have 2 drivers on each side of the box, i'd say about 6.5 to 8 inch.
Seems one crossover is bad as I am only getting sound from one side. I am in the process of sliding the covering off, and getting at the crossovers through the driver holes. John

Here is a bad photo. It is marked on the plate on back
"Spectra Passive Woofer"
acoustat1.jpg

If it's a SPW1 (and I don't think Acoustat made any other stand-alone sub, in any numbers), then it's got a dual-voice-coil Peerless 10" driver in a sealed box. Pretty effective, but not room-shatteringly loud. Very good sounding, though. Good response to the upper 20s Hz range in-room.

The SPW1 has stereo speaker inputs... I don't think it's got outputs for anything, IIRC.

The SPW-1 has 4 six inch woofers in a ported box. It is a stereo sub with a shared cabinet. It was originally sold as an option with the Spectra 22's. The crossover has a switch the engages or disengages the internal 100Hz low pass crossover. The sub has an in room response to around 30Hz (-3db point). The subs crossover works with the crossover built into the interface units in the Spectra series panels. They have a switch for full range or above 100hz operation. There are pass through 5 way binding posts for connecting the SPW-1. A full range signal is always sent to the sub. During normal operation with one stereo amp the panels crossover is set for above 100hz and the woofers crossover is set for below 100hz.

The other stand alone subwoofer that Acoustat made was a single ten inch woofer in a sealed box. It was sold as a sub for the Model Ones.

I have a pair Spectra 22's and a pair of Model One's and both subs.

Here is a bad photo. It is marked on the plate on back
"Spectra Passive Woofer"

Does the crossover panel have a two position switch. The later models may not have the switch. The switch engages or bypasses the internal crossover. It's a stereo 100hz low pass crossover.

Help me here Joe. I just bought 2 SPW-1's that need some help. I opened one up but can't find the Cross Over. Where did they bury it?

IMG_2649.JPG IMG_2653.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_2640.JPG
    IMG_2640.JPG
    41.4 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_2645.JPG
    IMG_2645.JPG
    105.4 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_2662.JPG
    IMG_2662.JPG
    39.1 KB · Views: 24
I've never opened mine. I've never used the internal crossovers on the Spectra's or the SPW-1.

Thanks Joe! Here's some more info from Andy Szabo on the speaker themselves;

"The crossover is located in the woofer box...somewhere. The SPW was assembled at Rockford's Carbonneau speaker-manufacturing facility so I never actually looked inside one. The woofers were custom designed and manufactured at Carbonneau for the SPW, and no, I don't have any spec's on it."

I did find the crossover. It is on the bottom of the cabinet to the right of the Switch Panel. It looks pretty simple but is bonded to the cabinet floor. I haven't messed with it, but when I get ready to really rebuild I am going to pry it out and replace what looks to be a single Cap. I'll take pictures then!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom