Acoustic Control Corp model #636.

Wow, can't believe I finally found some other owners of these speakers. I have a pair of the 636s that are in okay shape. I plan on refoaming and recapping them because they are so much fun.

I have a bunch of other vintage speakers that are probably much more highly regarded but these are still conversation items because of their rarity and surprising sound. I came across a copy of an ad with the lineup on the internet once but have never been able to find it again. Please post any other info you guys come across.

Attachments

• IMG_0856.JPG
    IMG_0856.JPG
    48.3 KB · Views: 101
Nice! I am jealous! I'm hoping to find a set of 636's some day soon. Not only do they sound better than stuff made today for there age they look nice even for today.

I found a pair of 626's today at the local thrift store. Brought them home, cracked them open, found that somebody had kindly replaced the stock 12's with awful Realistic 12's... :( This appears to be the only decent thread on the web about these old girls. Does anybody know the specs on the drivers, thiel small parameters are probably a pipe dream, but a fella can ask...no? I believe I saw somewhere that the magnets were square? Any suggestions for equivalent replacement drivers? Or any caches of originals? Thanks in advance!!

I found a pair of 626's today at the local thrift store. Brought them home, cracked them open, found that somebody had kindly replaced the stock 12's with awful Realistic 12's... :( This appears to be the only decent thread on the web about these old girls. Does anybody know the specs on the drivers, thiel small parameters are probably a pipe dream, but a fella can ask...no? I believe I saw somewhere that the magnets were square? Any suggestions for equivalent replacement drivers? Or any caches of originals? Thanks in advance!!
Another story of a lucky find! Unfortunately I don’t know the technical specs except they are 4 ohm and you are correct the magnets are square.

I have never been aware of these speakers before even when I worked at Rogersound Labs in nearby Canoga Park back in the late 1980's. After reading this thread I did a search on the Los Angeles Craigslist and low and behold there is a pair of excellent condition Model 648 units for sale at an astronomical price up in high end range rivaling top vintage Altec and JBL models! Either they do sound really good or that seller will be enjoying these speakers for a long, long time while he waits for a buyer...

Looking good! Is the foam front still in tact? I still need to find a emblem for one of my 626, trying to figure out a way to reproduce the missing one

Yahoo!
Finally, a thread on these speakers. I have a pair of 626's given to me by my cousin. With the original boxes. I refoamed the woofer surrounds and re-capped them . They are now absolutely mint condition. He included the original sales receipt. I'll dig it out and post pics of it and the speakers. He also gave me his Sansui AU7900 integrated amp, Sansui TU5900 tuner, Philips 212 turntable. All purchased together in 1976 in L.A.

Somebody redid the grilles at some point. Hot glued cloth over the wood. So I don’t have the original foam or the emblems. Maybe could have some 3D printed? But as they are, the grilles look ok. I’m going to get them put back together later this week and post a couple of pics. I’d still love to find some original 12” drivers or equivalents if anyone can give me any recommendations! Thanks all!

Back in the day, I had a pair of Acoustic Control 201 cabinets and a 270 amp. One of the members on the JBL forum designed the 201 cabinets. BTW, those are Altec 418Bs and an Atlas Banshee horn.

This is an interesting picture (not mine) because the 271 speaker cabinet, on the right, was only made for a very short time before being replaced by the 201. When I got mine, Guitar's Center's competitor had a 271 cabinet they were trying to unload because the 201s had just come out. Back then the stores would compete and when I told Guitar Center of the 271 price, the two stores got in a bidding war, with the 271 against the 201. I ended up paying about $240 per cabinet back then. In the end I got a pair of 201s from them at the agreed price. Guitar Center was livid when they got on the phone with their competitor and found they were bidding against the old model but let me have a pair of 201s at the agreed price. Again, the two Altecs alone would sell for about that much at the time.

c702b87cff914c8c33cf509ddaed2c3e--acoustic.jpg

We were doing an outdoor gig using a generator and it fried my Acoustic 270 and our bass player's Acoustic bass amp. Luckily, he worked there and just walked out the door with a couple new sets of the power transistor subassembly boards and all was good. :rockon:

The acoustc factory was by the Van Nuys Airport and we lived as a band just down the block.

Another time, I was using the speakers to do a PA gig and they all burned out using a Phase Linear 400. But I bought them new from The Guitar Center in Hollywood and they were under warrantee and all speakers and horns were replaced for free.

Last edited:
Somebody redid the grilles at some point. Hot glued cloth over the wood. So I don’t have the original foam or the emblems. Maybe could have some 3D printed? But as they are, the grilles look ok. I’m going to get them put back together later this week and post a couple of pics. I’d still love to find some original 12” drivers or equivalents if anyone can give me any recommendations! Thanks all!
I actually thought of looking into 3D printing but I wasn’t sure how costly it would be or where to go. I thought of using the other emblem to try to create a mold of some sort. Unfortunately these speakers are so rare it’s hard to find parts floating around!

I have a pair of 626s that I bought outside of Austin, TX a couple of years ago. Cosmetically, they were in amazing shape. I re-foamed the woofers, replaced the old Littelfield circuit breakers with slow-blow fuses, and re-capped them. I love these speakers. Couldn't imagine ever giving them up!

Back
Top Bottom