Acoustic Research 94sx worth restoring?

drabina

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I came across free set of AR 94sx tower speakers and hauled them home. As anticipated, the surrounds are shot and the fabric socks have seen better days. Other than that, the cabs are fine but I haven't really tested the drivers yet. So my dilemma is - are the speakers worth restoring. Honestly, I do not need another set of speakers but I could just throw them into the gaming/tv room as a second set as I doubt they will beat my Magnepans for a place in the living room.

Anybody has an experience with this model to provide some info how they sound? If you think I should just skip this set and save myself couple of hours of refoaming job, feel free to speak up. I am looking at total of 4 surrounds to replace (2 per speaker) so that's not going to be a quick job. And then there is an issue of the new socks. I don't think I can get new ones and my sawing skills are non-existent.

Looks like these use the same tweeter as the AR-18. Probably a fairly low-end model, decent but not great. If it was me I probably wouldn't bother since you said you don't really need them.

Here's a prior thread.

I wouldn't. I've reached the point of realizing that just because a speaker has a certain name or vintage attached to it does not mean it is worth any effort to save it. The AR94sx has all the hallmarks of one of those.

(This kind are, however, great for learning and experimenting on for fun. I've done a lot of that and had some fun along the way.)

GeeDeeEmm

The AR94s were released as part of the Acoustic Research 'Vertical Series'. The other models included the AR9s, AR90s, AR91s, AR92s, and AR93s. That's some very decent company. The 94s used an AR9/90 8" midrange, with an additional 8" woofer. The tweeter was designed by Roy Allison. So, I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss the 94s as unworthy.

They were FREE! Go play with them, have some fun and learn a few things!
Once done, they could surprise you!

Back
Top Bottom