Acoustic Research AR XA hinged dust cover?

My XA came out of a pawn shop, too. It was on top of a stack of turntables, seven if I recall correctly.
I had a similar experience. Thrift shop, nearly 20 years ago. I go to the electronics section, and BLOW MY MIND! They just put out FOUR GREAT TURNTABLES — BUT THEY'RE ALL IN ONE STACK! ON THE FLOOR. There was space on the shelves, but they couldn't be bothered.

It was a great roster:

• Sansui SR-838
• Denon DP-1200
• JVC QL-A5F
• Yamaha PX-2 (linear)

These were not cheap plastic throwaway TTs — thick, heavy plinths with good finishes: gloss black lacquer, or handsome veneers, or one-piece monocoque metal casting. They were near-TOTL — all DD — and incredibly, despite the stacking, all in great shape. The PX-2 was on the bottom and somehow its dustcover bore all that weight without damage, the three on top of it must have been over 20 pounds each. Not even scratched. All had original tonearms, good ones, and headshells, but no cartridges.

It was a TT lover's wet dream come true — but the stacking was a nightmare. They wanted a mere $35 each! I'd have gladly paid it, but I gave them a stern lecture about the stacking, and they dropped the price. And when I said I'd take them all, they dropped it to $50 for all of them!

That was a fun weekend! Setting them all up, figuring them out, mounting cartridges, checking all their functions. So many new toys, and the sheer variety. They all worked perfectly, except the Sansui had no feet and the PX-2 didn't stop at the record's end (just an internal adjustment). And they all sounded really fine — comparing them one-on-one against a Linn/Valhalla/Ittok/VDH.

In the Category: Thrift Shop Score — Sub-category: Turntable — it was a good one...

I had a similar experience. Thrift shop, nearly 20 years ago. I go to the electronics section, and BLOW MY MIND! They just put out FOUR GREAT TURNTABLES — BUT THEY'RE ALL IN ONE STACK! ON THE FLOOR. There was space on the shelves, but they couldn't be bothered.

It was a great roster:

• Sansui SR-838
• Denon DP-1200
• JVC QL-A5F
• Yamaha PX-2 (linear)

These were not cheap plastic throwaway TTs — thick, heavy plinths with good finishes: gloss black lacquer, or handsome veneers, or one-piece monocoque metal casting. They were near-TOTL — all DD — and incredibly, despite the stacking, all in great shape. The PX-2 was on the bottom and somehow its dustcover bore all that weight without damage, the three on top of it must have been over 20 pounds each. Not even scratched. All had original tonearms, good ones, and headshells, but no cartridges.

It was a TT lover's wet dream come true — but the stacking was a nightmare. They wanted a mere $35 each! I'd have gladly paid it, but I gave them a stern lecture about the stacking, and they dropped the price. And when I said I'd take them all, they dropped it to $50 for all of them!

That was a fun weekend! Setting them all up, figuring them out, mounting cartridges, checking all their functions. So many new toys, and the sheer variety. They all worked perfectly, except the Sansui had no feet and the PX-2 didn't stop at the record's end (just an internal adjustment). And they all sounded really fine — comparing them one-on-one against a Linn/Valhalla/Ittok/VDH.

In the Category: Thrift Shop Score — Sub-category: Turntable — it was a good one...
Yikes. Nice day, that's for sure!

I don't recall there being much else of any great quality in my 'stack'. A couple of belt drive Duals, maybe? I grabbed a Sansui 222 from it for the heck of it. I still haven't gotten around to doing anything with that one, though. It's actually in a stack of gear in the garage, lol. At least it's at the top.

It's amazing how tough some of those dust covers are.
There's a solidness to the one on my Sony PS-X70 that could probably take a lot more weight than you'd think.

And sadly, their take-away will be: Stack 'em high and they get sold quickly. :(

Chip
Them selling tables like that, at that price, shows they were clearly out of their element.

The guy I got my XA from wasn't all that different.
I asked him for his price and he barked, "$40, the price of the cartridge!". He had a coffee can of carts behind the counter, and they were a flat $40. I guess he priced tables based on that.
When I asked to see if it ran(and of course the belt was shot, so it didn't), he dropped to $20.
The grumpy old bugger had no clue what he was selling.

Them selling tables like that, at that price, shows they were clearly out of their element.
Yeah — but it was 20 years ago, "vinyl is dead" and the hipsters who "revived" it were toddlers. I guess they thought the stuff had Zero value. So I can understand the low prices... but the stacking? I can't understand treating such beautiful things — any beautiful things — with such disdain.

Now they're much "hipper" of course. Any turntable is priced way too high, and all the "good stuff" either goes out the back door to a "special" customer, or to their ebay sites. Regular customers never even get to see it anymore. The only glimmer of hope is they often don't really know what the "good stuff" is.

Yeah — but it was 20 years ago, "vinyl is dead" and the hipsters who "revived" it were toddlers. I guess they thought the stuff had Zero value. So I can understand the low prices... but the stacking? I can't understand treating such beautiful things — any beautiful things — with such disdain.

Now they're much "hipper" of course. Any turntable is priced way too high, and all the "good stuff" either goes out the back door to a "special" customer, or to their ebay sites. Regular customers never even get to see it anymore. The only glimmer of hope is they often don't really know what the "good stuff" is.
That makes sense. 20 years ago was the beginning of vinyl's comeback, at least around here.
I got my XA about 7 years ago. A simple google search would have had that guy realize that the headshell alone was worth more than $20. He was happier being a grumpy lump, sitting on a chair watching TV, though.

The stacking thing, though? Ugh. Treating things like that is terrible.
Being in the business of buying things like that to then sell them for a profit, yet still treating them like that? Makes no sense to me.

I realize the OP already had the cover and at this point, a fellow forum member offered a set of hinges. But in the interest of anybody else looking into this thread, the cover for a U-Turn Orbit should be a perfect fit for an AR XA. Their outside dimensions are nearly identical. Current price for a replacement cover is $40 but I don't see the hinges listed. A phone call or email should clarify that.

I realize the OP already had the cover and at this point, a fellow forum member offered a set of hinges. But in the interest of anybody else looking into this thread, the cover for a U-Turn Orbit should be a perfect fit for an AR XA. Their outside dimensions are nearly identical. Current price for a replacement cover is $40 but I don't see the hinges listed. A phone call or email should clarify that.

Thank you for the suggestion. I talked with U-Turn about my little problem. The next thing I know I get a shipping email that a set of hinges are on the way! Free! This is customer service right up there with Nordstroms! Think about that next time you are in the market for a TT!

OK, thanks, I was thinking about ordering one from U-Turn. Preston
If you are looking for a cover for the AR-XA and want to use the U-Turn cover it would be best to email their customer service and get the precise dimentions for their cover. They sent them to me but I can't find the email to advise you with. I know there are some differences and the U-Turn may not fit exactly like you might want it to.

I have contacted them and will ask about the measurements. Thanks, Preston

Edit to Add...I found the measurements of the Orbit, 17" x 13", the AR-XA is 16 1/2" x 12 1/2". Looks like a no go. Sure would have been nice. :)

Last edited:
Another option in case anyone is looking into this..... the cover for a Technics SL-20 is the perfect width and just a little bit deeper.

I made some wood shims and put them under the hinge plates with longer screws.

A bonus is the Technics dust cover is taller if you are doing a tonearm graft.

IMG_0037.JPG IMG_0039.JPG

That looks nice dogwan, thanks for sharing.

I found the measurements of the Orbit, 17" x 13", the AR-XA is 16 1/2" x 12 1/2". Looks like a no go. Sure would have been nice. :)

That's not what it says on the U-Turn website. According to the specs published there:

Dimensions: 16.75 x 12.5 x 4.25"

My XA is a little wider and deeper than what you measured, I get 16-5/8" by 12-5/8". Which is 1/8" narrower than the Orbit, but 1/8" longer front to back. The Orbit cover does seem to go all the way out to the very edge of the base so it would be a tad too wide but it would rest securely along the front edge.

That looks nice dogwan, thanks for sharing.

That's not what it says on the U-Turn website. According to the specs published there:

My XA is a little wider and deeper than what you measured, I get 16-5/8" by 12-5/8".

those are the correct measurements for the XA, starting with the original "AR Turntable", TT, TA, TX, XA, XB, XB-77

My XA is a little wider and deeper than what you measured, I get 16-5/8" by 12-5/8". Which is 1/8" narrower than the Orbit, but 1/8" longer front to back. The Orbit cover does seem to go all the way out to the very edge of the base so it would be a tad too wide but it would rest securely along the front edge.

bang4buck, you're correct, sorry, don't know where I found those measurements...I was on the U-Turn site looking at the specs...they must have changed them over the weekend.:rolleyes:Just kidding.

I might order the dust cover and hinges and do what dogwan did at the rear. Preston

You know, I was just reminded that we do have a dedicated U-Turn Orbit thread. I would ask over there if somebody could measure their dustcover. The website specs seem to be rounded to the nearest 1/4 inch.

bang4buck, I emailed and asked, got a quick response! 12.5 x16.75 x 2.44 inches. That's from Ben C. and I take it as being true not rounded. I'm not sure I will do this as the over hang on the width would brother me. Preston

Another option in case anyone is looking into this..... the cover for a Technics SL-20 is the perfect width and just a little bit deeper.

I made some wood shims and put them under the hinge plates with longer screws.

A bonus is the Technics dust cover is taller if you are doing a tonearm graft.

Thanks for the information, I happened to have an MCS turntable in the garage that is equivalent to the Technics SL-20 so I pulled the dust cover ans hinges and after shimming the hinges it fits perfectly, stays open and closes even. To make it even better I polished the dust cover with 1,200 then 3,000 and last 5,000 grit then used headlamp polisher and it looks very nice, shiny and clear.

Some photos:

https://imgur.com/a/IOrqP

Thanks once again!

Back
Top Bottom