Acoustic Research AR1 AR-1 speakers

myu701

Vintage futurist
I've heard and read about various vintage Acoustic Research speakers, but hadn't seen much about the AR-1's.

So I'm perusing a little on eBay and manage to spot THIS. I'm a bit shocked... over $1500? Even if they are quite rare, the condition leaves much to be desired. Is this a case of mistaken identity or are these really very coveted speakers? :scratch2:

Buyers are after the "full range" Altec 755A "tweeters" in them.

They rather suck as speaker systems without VHF augmentation, but once the Altecs are parted out, they can still be used as subs.... :yes:

These aren't even the most expensive ones that have sold. A few months back a pair went for over $4000.

yeah, the AR-1's are pretty valuable. still people want them for the western electric 755A drivers. BUT, i think more and more are not tearing them apart for the 755 as they sound pretty great (so i hear) with the janszen 130 ESL arays filling out the HF.

i have a pair of pretty rare JansZen Z-200s they have a 12" janszen 350B alnico woofer, nice walnut enclosure and you slide the 130 arrays into a slot in the top.

sound glorious. of course, they don't hit as low as the AR1's though ;-)

see ya,
Robby

Roby, you have the JansZen version of the KLH Model One. A really nice historic pair of speakers.

Thanks Brian,

yeah, i was perusing ebay one day and was like "what the heck are those? I WANT THEM!"

the speakers were in Oakland too. the bidding didn't hit the reserve ($350), i offered $250 - and we settled on $275.

pretty decent shape - cabinets are pretty clean. the veneer on one corner is a little chipped and the legs were missing. some morons glued shag carpet to the bottoms.

recently my buddy picked up some home-made speaker cabinet jobs with virtually the exact legs. so, now i have the legs for the speakers! whoo hoo!

and i do have a random set of 130 arrays for parts. they do work, but one is 16 ohm and the other is 8 ohm and someone painted the cabinets black (they were not the utility arrays).

the Z-200 worked fine, but would arc after a while. i replaced the seleniums with diodes and installed solen poly caps to replace the paper ones.

unfortunately one started motorboating. i went to yank the cord, but it already blew a fuse. i haven't tried to see what happened. hopefully the transformer and panels are fine.

if not, i have those aforementioned 130 arrays PLUS i have two green panels as spares. so, all will be well at some point.

the janszens are just chillin' in my insulated garage (covered up too) as i've been perfectly happy listening to my main speakers, Yamaha NS-1000M with a REL Q100 sub.

BUT, the Z-200 will sing again. at some point.

see ya,
Robby

Roby, you have the JansZen version of the KLH Model One. A really nice historic pair of speakers.

The 755 itself was a 12-15 dollar ceiling speaker for distributed sound, that they sound so damn good was an unforeseen bonus. I'm not sure what the AR1 sold for as a system.

They were a whopping $185 each back in the late 50's. I assume that was per speaker as most stuff back then were still mono setups.

AR1.jpg

AR-1 $370.00 a pair , 12" woofer and 8" cone mid-range
AR-1W $290.00 a pair , this model has a 12" woofer only, no 8" cone mid-range

I've heard and read about various vintage Acoustic Research speakers, but hadn't seen much about the AR-1's.

So I'm perusing a little on eBay and manage to spot THIS. I'm a bit shocked... over $1500? Even if they are quite rare, the condition leaves much to be desired. Is this a case of mistaken identity or are these really very coveted speakers? :scratch2:
I stumbled into an estate sale today and bought a pair of AR1s with consecutive serial #s for $50.00. They sound great. Also came with a pair of AR3s. Cabinets are unfinished wood . I had no idea what they were till got home and looked them up.

I stumbled into an estate sale today and bought a pair of AR1s with consecutive serial #s for $50.00. They sound great. Also came with a pair of AR3s. Cabinets are unfinished wood . I had no idea what they were till got home and looked them up.
:eek2:

Congrats Mike!!!
You made huge scores there, the nice AR1 speakers with original condition, especial consecutive serial #s are worth $4500-$5500 in the International eBay ( listing in right place and right time), as well the very early AR3s with low serial numbers, they are also worth over 3K $

That's a dream score! You've hit the holy grail of "vintage" AR speakers. Your options are tough to choose between. Do you refurbish them for personal enjoyment, or sell them for a quick buck?

Best of luck wrestling with your inner dialogue. As a music/music gear lover, I'd suggest that, if you sell them, you roll the money back into music gear. Decades later you can describe how you turned $50 into a McIntosh stack.

Please post some pics of these treasures. It’s the only way most of us will ever get to see them.

Here is some quick pics. I neglected to mention one of the cabs has a hole in the grill.I have examined the speaker under the hole can't see any damage.I wish I could get the grills off.The little ones are AR3s according to the tags on the back ?. They sound incredible running with my Veledyne sub.AR 1 Left.jpg AR1 Damage.jpg AR3.jpg thumbnail.jpg

Back
Top Bottom