Acoustic Research pecking order?

john5220

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I currently have HPM-100 and Klipsch KG4 in my rotation. I'm looking to get a pair of Acoustic Research speakers which might be a step up from my current speakers.

Any suggestions?

TIA!

Ar1& ar3 way overpriced IMHO.

If looking for floor standers I'd look for ar9 or ar9lsi.

Also ar98 or ar-11 world be my large bookshelf choice.

I just found a pair of AR 2a, solid cherry with matching cherry stands. $150 very nice sounding,especially the mids. Very smooth, sound.

My kg4's with the upgrades are a little better for certain types of music.

Good Luck!

Well, the AR's in general are a very different speaker and sound than your current line-up. I've had the HPM's so I understand what you have there. This becomes a west coast vs. New England type sound thing.
Then, your current speakers are a modern build than the older AR3- 3a etc and therefore your initial take could very well be that teh AR's are rolled off on the high end and maybe to the point you don't like it. i prefer AR's for the exact opposite.
to get the AR sound in a more modern manner I think as nolasally suggested above, the AR9 family of speakers would definitely be a big step up. Some of the others that can be hard to find like the 10pi, 11, 303 etc are also great. The 94,s, 92,s etc will also be very competitive and a bit more manageable in terms of size. Go dig around on teh classic speaker pages site to get a feel for the options.

What will be your power?

Another great contender from the teledyne era, though more rare is the AR12. Fantastic sounding, a bit more forward in the mids and highs than the 3/3a, 2a generation, but not at all harsh, just a better sound stage with more clarity. Same sonics as the AR11 but with a 10 inch woofer.

if your budget is around a grand I can recommend .original AR9s but your Marantz recievers wont drive then to their potential.,I owned 9s for over 10 yrs

hunter

The AR Classic 30, IF YOU CAN FIND A PAIR, are great.

But more along the lines of the KG4, I would suggest seeking out a pair of AR5. They don't command nearly the price of the 3, and sound better balanced than both the 3 and the 2. My opinion, YMMV.

The AR48 also flies under the radar.

More of the list we're pulling from ... according to ClassicSpeakerPages' topic of the same name http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/IP.Board/index.php?/topic/4319-ar-speakers-pecking-order/, a proposed list to pull from and rank is (although it's missing the AR-4 series and various of those already listed):

I've not heard enough ARs to say myself, but I bet most people's toplists will be drawn from the following:

Original years:

AR-3

AR-2ax

AR-3a/AR-3a Improved

AR-5/AR-5 Improved

AR-LST

AR-LSTII

Teledyne Years:

AR-10pi

AR-11

AR-9

AR-9LS/AR-9LSi

AR-90

AR-91

AR-58s

I'll say of my AR stash, I like the AR11B then the AR3a then the AR4x and all are superb, but anything that is a "step up" from HPM100s and KG4s will probably have to have a 12" woofer in it ...

I restored a pair of ar93's and have seen the ar94's... both nice speakers from the same relative era as your current speakers.

Well, the AR's in general are a very different speaker and sound than your current line-up. I've had the HPM's so I understand what you have there. This becomes a west coast vs. New England type sound thing.
Then, your current speakers are a modern build than the older AR3- 3a etc and therefore your initial take could very well be that teh AR's are rolled off on the high end and maybe to the point you don't like it. i prefer AR's for the exact opposite.
to get the AR sound in a more modern manner I think as nolasally suggested above, the AR9 family of speakers would definitely be a big step up. Some of the others that can be hard to find like the 10pi, 11, 303 etc are also great. The 94,s, 92,s etc will also be very competitive and a bit more manageable in terms of size. Go dig around on teh classic speaker pages site to get a feel for the options.

What will be your power?

I either run a Marantz 2252b or 2330...so 52-130 wpc

The big AR's, like the 9s and 90s, are awesome speakers. Plus, they don't often sell for high prices, as they are expensive to ship. They'd be my first choice, then the AR9LS and AR9LSi would come next.

Bookshelf speakers are also well covered by AR, with the coveted AR3 and AR3a. But, as an AR90 owner, I like the Vertical bookshelf models. They just seem more 'modern', and 'maybe' better built. The AR91, AR92, AR915, and AR925. All dome mid 3-ways. Plus, keep an eye out for the AR58S, a large bookshelf version of the 12" AR91, that often flies under the radar. Prices are pretty reasonable for the 58S, and they're better than the cone mid 58B version. After these, the 9LS/9LSI variations; the AR98 and AR78. Both good, but take care that combined dome tweeter/mid plate. Expensive to find used, and impossible to repair. Not fragile, just don't let little kids around them, as you don't want pushed in domes.

For a normal 2-way bookshelf, the AR18 always gets a lot of love. Nothing flashy, just good sound. Fairly cheap too to find. I'm thinking about getting a pair myself.

Oh, the ultimate AR speaker? Maybe the AR-LST. Another coveted speaker. AR designed it for studio and commercial use. Four dome mids, four dome tweeters, and the famous 12" AR woofer. Wide dispersion and awesome power handling. Good at anything. Just be prepared to pay dear for a pair. They don't go cheap. And if you ever find a cheap pair, Buy Them! Don't ask here first, if they're worth it! They'll be gone if you do.

's
Very nice speakers Go. Might I ask you where did you find such a rare animal and your impressions of them? I had those on my list 10 years or so and gave up my quest... Kudos to you.

I was on an extended vacation during the 2011 holidays and got bored. I started web searching for some of the notable speakers I remembered having been attracted to for their accolades or their technology or maybe even the aesthetics during the 80's. I used to read Stereo Review and Audio pretty much cover to cover in the early and mid 80's. While doing a search for the AR-MGC-1's I found an expired auction site ad. On a hunch I made contact with the seller and we eventually agreed to a price. Not cheap, but still a fraction of the original price. They were part of a gentleman's home theater!!! He was having a contractor completely redo his home theatre and the contractor became the new owner. And then the seller. I actually rented a mini-van and drove about 450 miles to pick them up. The seller sort of did me when he told me I had to pay extra for the controller. It turned out the controller was failed anyway and not usable. The MGC-1's really need that controller or a time delay system to drive the ambience channels. I came up with an ADC time delay/reverb controller from the 80's that does OK. I have another newer digital unit (Behringer) I haven't figured out how to use at present. (I overloaded my mancave and need to unload some speakers to have proper listening and setup space). In the brief auditions and experiments I did do, the speakers have two rather neat characteristics. One, without the ambience channels the speakers are akin to putting on headphones. I actually talked to Ken K. about this and he confirmed that the foam blocks are specifically placed and shaped to limit diffraction and make the audio very directional. This is to avoid interactions with the ambience speakers- if I recall correctly. We had the conversation like 3 or 4 years ago. When the ambience channels are connected with a delayed signal, the soundstage becomes very wide and open. The controller allows you to tailor the affect to sort of match your listening space or the original recording space. The sound stage can be made to be quite large. The neat thing about this is the ability to affect the sound stage without blurring the stereo effect or the placement of the sounds along the sound stage. I actually sent Ken my controller to see if he could repair it AND if possible generate a schematic since it's near impossible to find the schems. Ken had to leave the info with AR/Teledyne when he departed. So for now the ADC and Behringer will have to do. I need to get my mancave back in order so I can better setup and listen to the MGC-1's. They will be doing battle with the AR-9's for primary two-channel duties in the mancave. Now, back to the OP's quest for pecking order.... ;)

We should all be so lucky to have that speaker battle!
To Mar, I have the LST-2's. Very unique sounding, crazy sound stage, and fairly high on the AR ladder I suspect. That was a very rewarding restoration project.

Resurrecting old thread: I have had a pair of AR-78LSs now for about 8 years. I picked them up for a $100, which seems a steal. One of the tweeter-mid assemblies had problems, and I had to get a replacement, which ran, if I recall, around $120. Totally worth it. I used it as my main basement speakers for a couple years, until I stumbled on some dirt cheap Snell Type A/IIIs. I moved the 78s upstairs. A little big, but they passed the WAF because she agreed that a) the wood/dark brown grills weren't completely unattractive, and b) she noticed a clear uptick in sound quality from the Paradigm Phantoms that were there previously. All I can say is, they sound fantastic. They don't color the sound. It just sounds like sound. And smooth, crisp but easy highs... I can listen to them all day and not get fatigued. Plus, they are in the family room, with the kitchen behind (open plan living!), with couches and chairs etc filling the space, and with just the slightest tweak of the bass, it bulls through all that--full, extended bass all the way to the back of the kitchen. Really good bass.

In short: I've heard AR was terrible with marketing, were a conservative company, and all... but I love these speakers. I'll never part with them.

PS: My Dad had AR-LST2s back in the day, but they were stolen--happened when I was around 14, and sadly, I can't recall what they sounded like... :-(

I just found a pair of AR 2a, solid cherry with matching cherry stands. $150 very nice sounding,especially the mids. Very smooth, sound.

My kg4's with the upgrades are a little better for certain types of music.

Good Luck!
I know it's late to this particular party but if you have some pics of the AR cherry speakers and stands, I'd sure like to see em.

Back
Top Bottom