Acoustic Research Red Box Improved

stevo137

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I found a mint set of these little AR's today and they appear to be the last version with rubber sourounds and
Liquid cooled tweeters.

I can't seem to find any info. on them but it appears that they were designed and made in the U.K.

I know that there was an earlier version that said "Red Box on the grill and did not have rubber surrounds but these grills only have the AR symbol on the front and are made with composite frames.

The model number says
Red Box Improved

Power hungry little speakers but they sound very clear, not too bright but a lot of detail, rich mids and full low end.

I can give them some additional low end on the pre amp EQ and they seem to love it.

Great little speaker with 6" woofers.

Any input will be greatly appreciated!

IMG_3992.JPG
IMG_3995.JPG

IMG_3996.JPG

There seems to be precious little information on this model, even over on the Classic Speaker Pages website, where many AR enthusiasts contribute in depth. These look very different from the Red Box II, which was essentially a re-packaged AR-18.

There seems to be precious little information on this model, even over on the Classic Speaker Pages website, where many AR enthusiasts contribute in depth. These look very different from the Red Box II, which was essentially a re-packaged AR-18.

I see that and have been playing around with them with different receivers, amps and very impressed especially how small they are.

Definitely adding them the the small speaker with great low end thread.

Thanks for your efforts and input!

Got em' running with the ADS L520's comparing Yamaha CR-400 and Sansui 1000X.

They sound very nice with either receiver.

Look how small they are compared to the 520's!

IMG_4003.JPG

Looks like you're running a nice little test there. Despite the Canton, MA address on the label, I think the Union Jack sticker tells the real story - - I believe this model was marketed only in the U.K., and it makes one wonder how they made their way back to the states.

Had not noticed your Hoosier affiliation - - - I lived in Indiana when I acquired my first pair of AR's over 40 years ago.

Just came across this forum and I too am looking for info on these speakers. Mine have consecutive serial no.s and the redbox badge on the front is covered over by the speaker cloth. I figured out why they called them redbox
because they where shipped in a big red box? redboxd.jpg

Sixerredbox11.jpg

Back
Top Bottom