Acoustic Research XB New in Box

Lucky you. It will need a thorough going over. All bearing wells will need to be serviced.

Undoubtedly, this will be the best sounding turntable you could ever own.
Do yourself a favor and contact MarcMorin (here at Audio Karma) and have him rebuild the tonearm.

With the small outlay you spent on it, you can splurge on a suitable cartridge.

I'd have to say that you did REALLY well--even if it was beat to hell and back and put back in the box. You probably will have to put some time and/or a few bucks into it, but for the entrance fee of less than a morning coffee, I'd be all over it too!!!

Congrats! :trebon:

What a stroke of luck! Enjoy.

I'm a little jealous, 'cause the best I've been able to find at our local Goodwill was a Pioneer TX-6800 tuner for $8.99

I'm a little jealous, 'cause the best I've been able to find at our local Goodwill was a Pioneer TX-6800 tuner for $8.99
I've been pretty lucky finding little odds and ends, but this is definitely the closest thing to a serious find I have found there.

Sorry about the tease everyone, I was just swamped last night after I got home and had an early morning meeting today so could not afford to get too involved in it last night. Promise tonight I will unpack and share what I find. I think I spied a brand new head shell and cartridge floating near the top of the box as well.

Wow - and I thought I did well finding a $10 XA in the original box at a yard sale - and that was 10 years ago.

LUCKY!
Good find!

Problem with the thrifts stores, and I'm sure this has been posted elsewhere, unless they don't know what it is or is absolutely beat to crap, it is very unlikely you will find any real bargains, i.e. that $20 SL-1200, etc. Most of the thrifts have gotten wise to vintage gear and want in on the action. That AR was a great find. The most recent thing I've seen is a pair of busted up 501s which they wanted $80 for, I passed

Problem with the thrifts stores, and I'm sure this has been posted elsewhere, unless they don't know what it is or is absolutely beat to crap, it is very unlikely you will find any real bargains, i.e. that $20 SL-1200, etc. Most of the thrifts have gotten wise to vintage gear and want in on the action. That AR was a great find. The most recent thing I've seen is a pair of busted up 501s which they wanted $80 for, I passed
I agree. I usually go for DVD's, Blu-Ray's and CD's and just take a quick run through the electronics sections. I think occasionally you'll run into a lazy or disinterested evaluator but those opportunities are pretty rare and seem to be getting even more so. I have to admit I knew absolutely nothing about this deck before I got it home and did some research. While I have quite a bit of vinyl I've been pretty happy with my Pro ject, but I was aware of Linn and have rather passively hoping the come across one. I'm hopeful though this may scratch that itch!

Wanna see how it was packed up to see if really new in box as many units get used a bit and repacked and folks claim nos, especially when selling them. But I opened enough units back in the day to see the difference between actual new and repacked really well.

That really doesn't matter as you now have one fine turntable that can be enjoyed for years to come and upgraded as you see fit. Nice find and I'm guessing well bought.

But this is about the same kind of deal that the OP got. If this is just the regular XB the orion says it is a 145 buck table with that cartridge to be named later and that tuner was a 200 buck unit. I guess you just would have more use for a nice table than a nice tuner. But you already have a fair system so let's just keep looking and hope for the best.

Did the OP davboy2 have a second account, David Boyle? Whatever be nice to see the cartridge and the rest of the table.

Seems it might have spend all its life within a few miles of the GW. The ship to dealer is only 10 miles or so from davboy2's location.

Wanna see how it was packed up to see if really new in box as many units get used a bit and repacked and folks claim nos, especially when selling them. But I opened enough units back in the day to see the difference between actual new and repacked really well.

That really doesn't matter as you now have one fine turntable that can be enjoyed for years to come and upgraded as you see fit. Nice find and I'm guessing well bought.

But this is about the same kind of deal that the OP got. If this is just the regular XB the orion says it is a 145 buck table with that cartridge to be named later and that tuner was a 200 buck unit. I guess you just would have more use for a nice table than a nice tuner. But you already have a fair system so let's just keep looking and hope for the best.

Did the OP davboy2 have a second account, David Boyle? Whatever be nice to see the cartridge and the rest of the table.

Seems it might have spend all its life within a few miles of the GW. The ship to dealer is only 10 miles or so from davboy2's location.
Yes, read up a little on the original seller Schaak Electronics as I was not familiar with it, but this particular store was in the now defunct Lincoln Mall which is within 10 miles. I think I had account confusion and did create a second account. I had not used the other one so will stick with davboy2 going forward.Will unpack and take some pictures after dinner, hoping it is in good shape after getting all the feedback on it!

Unpacked it. I think perhaps the Goodwill people may have unpacked some of it, or perhaps someone while looking at it in the store. It is definitely very lightly used, if at all though. As WaynerN mentioned, the Mat was in crumbles and I think in the process may have discolored the platter a bit, seems like some simple polishing would bring it back to new though. Regardless, it seems to be in terrific shape. I'm not sure I want to even try to run it without taking the good suggestions to have @marcmorin work his magic on it for fear of inadvertently damaging it. It appears to have the original plastic head shell, but can not see any markings on the cartridge. The original warranty card is still affixed to the bottom...not sure where to send it :) Here's some photos.

Back
Top Bottom